my new digicam came today..

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
(minolta s414)

I took a picture of one of my cats.. the other one looks pretty much the same only fatter.. they're twins!

possum

so.. there's the picture.. it's larger than life! very odd.

so.. what'd I do wrong?

(haven't read the instructions yet.. figured I'd approach this particular toy like a guy would)

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999

so.. what'd I do wrong?

Do you mean the picture is too large? :confused:

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Uh, I'm guessing this is your first digicam? The picture size doesn't look large for a 4 MP camera. :)

EDIT: Nice camera pick BTW. My mom has that camera and it's really nice. I'm currently drooling over the Fuji S5000. I was trying to save up for a Panasonic FZ10, but at $299 I'm so tempted to get the Fuji..........

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

so.. what'd I do wrong?

that's a start.. I know how to resize them after the fact, I just didn't resize that one on purpose. should I make them smaller to start with? if so.. what size? I imagine there is some handy button I can push somewhere that would make them smaller, if that's desireable..

I'm knew to this whole digital concept.. well.. effectively.. my videocamera will take digital stills.. but.. certainly not of this.. vast size..

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
that looks more like a cat than a possum

why is there a possum in your house? :confused:

hah! is just his name (the one before was squirrel). he's possum, because it goes so nicely with persimmon (his sister). he's 100% cat..

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: anno
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein

so.. what'd I do wrong?

that's a start.. I know how to resize them after the fact, I just didn't resize that one on purpose. should I make them smaller to start with? if so.. what size? I imagine there is some handy button I can push somewhere that would make them smaller, if that's desireable..

I'm knew to this whole digital concept.. well.. effectively.. my videocamera will take digital stills.. but.. certainly not of this.. vast size..

anno, to be honest, I'd take the pictures at the highest setting and then resize them for their use IMO :)

anno

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Your better off taking the pics at a high resolution and resizing them.

heh.. ok already! I'll leave it big! (that's one less thing to figure out.. they're already big!).

this is exciting! the cats will be 9 in january, we've had them since they were 7 weeks old and that is the first time since.. '95 that I have managed to get a picture of possum that was anything other than a blob of blackness, occasionally with red glowing spots.

this one has yellow glowing spots that are obviously eyes, AND.. you can tell he has a nose! and a whisker or two! I bet if I can catch him in a decently lit space, you might even be able to tell for sure he's a cat.

ok.. I got nimh batteries (nimh.. that's the movie.. are the batteries nihm? no.. nimh.. never made that connection before.. interesting..) and a charger, and I got 256mb flash card.. we're going on a cruise next month, so I have couple weeks to figure the camera out so I can take pictures without having to think about it toooo much, and the ship supposedly will for a fee offload pictures from my cf card onto cd for me, so.. 256 will be enough, and I can recharge the batteries every night.. I got a spare set, so I can recharge both sets every night if it turns out I need to,..

do I sound good to go, aside from the whole not knowing how to use the camera yet thing?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Nice digicam.

My Minolta S414 arrived the other day. I turned around and sold it to a co-worker for $50 higher than I paid :)