My New Diabetes Medication

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I am now taking Jardiance aka empagliflozin.

I take 1 10mg pill a day along with my metformin. The new drug lets me pee out the excess sugar in my system. The down side is it makes me thirstier and pee more often.

I just started it so it will take a while to see what the effects are.

Reactions: Pearlgold

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I am now taking Jardiance aka empagliflozin.

I take 1 10mg pill a day along with my metformin. The new drug lets me pee out the excess sugar in my system. The down side is it makes me thirstier and pee more often.

I just started it so it will take a while to see what the effects are.
I use tot ake Trulicity until they removed my gaulbladder!!
Another good thing about these type meds is they are suppose to help your pancrease in the production of insulin for your body!!! Good Luck with your diabetes!!

Reactions: Iron Woode

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
a minor update:

after being on the new meds all week, I have noticed more frequent urinating at roughly every 2 hours.

I have also been randomly testing my blood and noticed a distinct drop in my glucose numbers. On average when I get up in the morning it hovers around 8 or 9. Since being on the new meds it stays around 7. In the evening when I am done work (roughly 8 PM) my glucose is in the low 6's.

I am hoping this keeps up and my A1C tests show a similar drop.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Have you altered your diet? What are you eating, drinking now?

Also, try cinnamon. IT has been shown that cinnamon helps stabilize glucose.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Have you altered your diet? What are you eating, drinking now?

Also, try cinnamon. IT has been shown that cinnamon helps stabilize glucose.
I eat a healthy diet and I drink copious amounts of water due to the medication.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Is this for Type 2 diabetes? Are you pre-diabetic, or full diabetic? Was the switch in drugs for a reason?

Israel34000

Feb 9, 2020
Hey! I don't know if you are still in need of any assistance with your issue, but I was recently told about an alternative form of medication/remedy for diabetes. Let me know if you want the info :)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hey! I don't know if you are still in need of any assistance with your issue, but I was recently told about an alternative form of medication/remedy for diabetes. Let me know if you want the info :)
The truth is quite simple -- there is not alternate form of treatment for somebody who ids full blown diabetic! The only things that work for a fill blow diabetic are eating healthy and copious amounts of water and exercise!!
You ever wonder why there are quite a few non medical diabetes remedies on the market?
Because everyone is searching for something besides going to the doctor and taking medicines!
But let me say that if caught soon enough diet and a lifestyle change will work wonders!
Cinnamon, beets, tumeric.....all just ehhh

They claim type 1 diabetes can be controlled naturally....buy eating plant based plant-based foods that contain the proper nutrients that prevent the progression of the disease and its complications such as blindness, kidney failure, and amputation. "Cured" indicates that the disease pathology no longer exists in the body at the cellular level.
Now the question is -- How many people do you know that fit into that catagory? Not very many! You know why? Because it is a damn difficult lifestyle!
Peace!!

Last edited:

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Been taking Jardiance for about a year (combined with Janumet - Metformin hybrid mediciation). Its been pretty good at keeping my sugar/a1c at 6.8-7.0 range.
The potential side effects are slightly worrysome (Genital Strep infection), but the worst side effect I have had while taking it is a single male yeast infection (due to urinating the excess sugar) which was easily fixed with some cream for 2-3 days.

I had the frequent urination you described for the first few weeks, but as i adjusted my diet to take in less raw (simple) sugars, that went away quickly.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Been taking Jardiance for about a year (combined with Janumet - Metformin hybrid mediciation). Its been pretty good at keeping my sugar/a1c at 6.8-7.0 range.
The potential side effects are slightly worrysome (Genital Strep infection), but the worst side effect I have had while taking it is a single male yeast infection (due to urinating the excess sugar) which was easily fixed with some cream for 2-3 days.

I had the frequent urination you described for the first few weeks, but as i adjusted my diet to take in less raw (simple) sugars, that went away quickly.
yeah, it took me a while to figure out the eat less carbs - go pee less often thing. It's hard due to the ease of carbs in diets.

I do most of my own cooking so there is that.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Type 2 diabetes. To better control my glucose levels.

Type 2 diabetes can be controlled and in some reversed with diet and lifestyle changes. There are a few books out from Dr. Neal Barnard with study backed diabetes results. Diabetes is caused by death and/or dysfunction of the pancreas beta cells (insulin-producing cells) .
In type 1 diabetes, the body's immune system attacks the cells. (there is some early evidence that dairy may play a role in type 1 diabetes https://nutritionfacts.org/2019/11/28/is-type-1-diabetes-triggered-by-the-bovine-insulin-in-milk/)
In type 2 diabetes, the body (either due to diet, or genetic factors, or both) becomes inefficient at using insulin. This causes the beta cells to overwork and die off early leading to diabetes. (https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/03/09/how-exactly-does-type-2-diabetes-develop/)

Type 1 diabetes, the best you can do is control it. With type 2 diabetes, you still have some functional beta cells, you just need to reduce the load on them. That means cutting down on dietary fat intake. Increase your diet of whole plant foods. Get active and move your muscles.