My new Dell G15 5511 laptop experience...UPDATE Returned it

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I ordered a Like New (Refurbished) G15 5511 from the Dell Outlet. I figured it should have been thoroughly tested and ready to go! Well, first thing that happens when turned on is that it runs diagnostics on the various components. It failed on the GPU fan. It didn't spin at all! So, I got a QR code that took me through a process of resolving it myself, or if that didn't work, to contact CS in India. I had a bit of a hard time conversing with the person, but we ended up working out that it was in fact broken.

In 2 to 3 business days a Dell tech will be onsite to repair it.

I've been using the system for a few days and I'm impressed with it and all that Dell has engineered into their systems to help troubleshoot problems. I just thought they would have done a better job of testing. Of course, I can use the machine, just can't check out the RTX 3060.

John

Last edited:

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Well, I've been patiently waiting to hear from them with an appointment. Instead I got an email letting me know that it won't be 2 to 3 business days as I'd been told.

I sure am tempted to box it up and return it, which would be a real pain as I've done a lot to the system.

Have any of you had experience returning a product to Dell for a refund?

-----------------------email from Dell Support---------------------
Dear John Middleton,

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. We would like to inform you that the part is in delay, as the Manufacturing is being delayed. the parts will be dispatch as soon as they are available.

Appreciate your time and Patience.

Please Find the Link below to track the status

Dispatch Number-
removed

Link
removed

Also We will keep updating you Via Email, IF there is anything else please do not hesitate to revert us back this email.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Surbhi

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Return it
Funny you should say that. This morning I sent a reply to the latest msg saying that it was unacceptable and I wanted to return it. They replied with a phone number that must call. We just got home from a visit to the VA and a neighbor called saying he was coming over. So, as soon as I get the chance I'll call.

Another agrevating issue is that I have so much setup and have it syncing with my desktop. So, cleaning all that up will be a pain. Unless there is a magic reset button. :)

John

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Funny you should say that. This morning I sent a reply to the latest msg saying that it was unacceptable and I wanted to return it. They replied with a phone number that must call. We just got home from a visit to the VA and a neighbor called saying he was coming over. So, as soon as I get the chance I'll call.

Another agrevating issue is that I have so much setup and have it syncing with my desktop. So, cleaning all that up will be a pain. Unless there is a magic reset button. :)

John

Factory reset

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
I've been on the phone with Dell Customer Care (Really?) for about half an hour. They had no problems with the return, BUT the mailing label says it is for a $12.99 pair of headphones that I had to buy to qualify for 6 months no interest financing. I've been transferred 3 times and am back on hold.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
The new Dell G15 series 5520, 5521 and 5525 have one M2 slot. The older series, 5510, 5511 and 5515 had an option to add a second m2 drive. Dell keeps cutting back to save on costs and I agree with you. Dells customer service is horrible, the techs keep telling you they are not trained to answer your question and want you to pay for premium support. Good thing you returned it, you made the right choice.