my new camera!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
awesomeness

these are wonderful low light cameras because the lens is sharpest when wide open. also, the flash syncs at all shutter speeds. that's simply ridiculous. why can't they make stuff like this anymore?

Xyo II

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2005
That looks sooooo oooooold!

:D

I don't know anything about cameras though, if you're happy with it I guess that's what counts :p

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ElFenix
awesomeness

these are wonderful low light cameras because the lens is sharpest when wide open. also, the flash syncs at all shutter speeds. that's simply ridiculous. why can't they make stuff like this anymore?

Is the lens fixed on the body? If not, does it take the old Canon FD mount lenses?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: shuttleboi
awesomeness

Is the lens fixed on the body? If not, does it take the old Canon FD mount lenses?

yes it is.

i've already got an FD somewhere around here...

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i love old mechanical cameras. ive got the jones for a good leica m6 or m7, but i cant get over the fact that with a digital canon elph i can snap 300 photos a day and have all of them archive-worthy because i deleted the other 400 snapshots on-the-fly..... rather than carrying around a bag of film and have to pay/develop them

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
Thats soo cool, a camera that can take a pic of itself with the lense covered!

my brother is buying a 30D, i want one too... kinda

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: chuckywang
I was hoping for an EOS. :(

check the exif data[/quote]
I have that lens! It is by far my favorite... and at $100... everyone should have it.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If that's a rangefinder, which is my guess, there is finally a digital rangefinder, from Leica. Unfortunately, while it's really awesome, it's about $6000!

It does seem like some technology and usability has been lost in the digital realm. That's one reason why I chose my Maxxum 7D because I can adjust just about every feature on it without resorting to a damn menu, which seems to plague most cameras these days.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AndrewR
If that's a rangefinder, which is my guess, there is finally a digital rangefinder, from Leica. Unfortunately, while it's really awesome, it's about $6000!

It does seem like some technology and usability has been lost in the digital realm. That's one reason why I chose my Maxxum 7D because I can adjust just about every feature on it without resorting to a damn menu, which seems to plague most cameras these days.

yup its a rangefinder. not as heavy as a leica, nor was it ever anywhere near as expensive.

the thing is so simple to use. set your aperture and your shutter speed on the little dials (which really doesn't need to change as long as you're in the same lighting conditions), focus using the little lever with your left hand, and squeeze the shutter. a little *click* is all you hear. kinda reminds me of the fixed-focus 110 camera i had when i was little.

shuttleboi

Jul 5, 2004

the thing is so simple to use. set your aperture and your shutter speed on the little dials (which really doesn't need to change as long as you're in the same lighting conditions), focus using the little lever with your left hand, and squeeze the shutter. a little *click* is all you hear. kinda reminds me of the fixed-focus 110 camera i had when i was little.

How is that different from a non-rangefinder camera? I have shutter-priority on my SLR as well.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: shuttleboi

How is that different from a non-rangefinder camera? I have shutter-priority on my SLR as well.
it'd be more akin to M on the slr. though it does have shutter priority metering.

and by simple i mean, i haven't had to dive into the manual to figure out how to set anything, nothing is buried in menus or needs a specific button mashing order to work.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ballmode
What camera is that?

canonet GIII QL17

seems they're pretty popular. it's probably one of the best compact rangefinders made near the end of the RF era (they got replaced by auto-focus point n' shoots). there were a million of them made, so it's common to see them at garage sales and thrift shops, though they'll fetch 50+ on ebay. i resealed it so it should be good for quite a while.