My New Build: *NOW WITH PICTURES!*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandytheguy

Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: 88NovaTwincam
Have people had success with these KVM's? They're a cheap and seemingly
great mulit-tasking solution! Hmmm wonder if they have an issues...

KVM's are great. Only problem is if you want to use one on your main system and you use a USB mouse and keyboard you need a KVM that's twice as expensive. I got a 4 port KVM from Frys for $40 that I use for my servers, works great.

Chesebert

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2001
Are your temp from CPU with everything enclosed in the case and closed? 1.55V at 39c is strange even with big T

Jan 26, 2006
would you guys say the 165 OC'ed to 2.6 would put out the same performance as an FX-60, the specs would be similar but would one be faster then the other in benchmarking and gaming? if any one has some first hand experience with either could you post your benchmarking accolades :):eek:

One43637

Sep 26, 2005
Originally posted by: sandytheguy
Originally posted by: 88NovaTwincam
Have people had success with these KVM's? They're a cheap and seemingly
great mulit-tasking solution! Hmmm wonder if they have an issues...

KVM's are great. Only problem is if you want to use one on your main system and you use a USB mouse and keyboard you need a KVM that's twice as expensive. I got a 4 port KVM from Frys for $40 that I use for my servers, works great.

i haven't had much luck with KVMs. i can get the basic functions to work for me on my iogear, but when i try to use the macros on my keyboard or the other buttons on my mouse they just don't respond.

castrol

Jan 24, 2006
Hi there
Just got an opteron 165 CCBWE 0551 WPMW, cant seam to find out about this stepping, does anyone no if this is a good one or not? im runing at 2610MHz at the moment 290 x 9 at 1.35volts memory 166 3-4-4-10 seams very stable but will burn right in before trying to go higher, do you think i can get anymore out of this chip with this stepping?

:)
-------------------------
B]Cabinet Thermaltake Armor
MB: ASUS A8N32 -SLI
BIOS:1009
CPU:FX55
RAM: 2X 1G Ballistix DDR500
Boot: 2x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 RAID0
Storage: 2x Maxtor 10 SATA
Graphics: 2X GAINWARD GeForce 6800 GT SLI
PSU: OCZ 600w Powerstream
Cooling: WATERCHILL/DangerDen
[/b]

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
Originally posted by: castrol
Hi there
Just got an opteron 165 CCBWE 0551 WPMW, cant seam to find out about this stepping, does anyone no if this is a good one or not? im runing at 2610MHz at the moment 290 x 9 at 1.35volts memory 166 3-4-4-10 seams very stable but will burn right in before trying to go higher, do you think i can get anymore out of this chip with this stepping?

Brand new stepping, we have little data on how it performs!

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Originally posted by: castrol
Hi there

Brand new stepping, we have little data on how it performs!

Originally posted by: AMDxx165xxfx60
would you guys say the 165 OC'ed to 2.6 would put out the same performance as an FX-60, the specs would be similar but would one be faster then the other in benchmarking and gaming? if any one has some first hand experience with either could you post your benchmarking accolades :):eek:

A dual core opteron at the same speed as an fx-60 will perform the same.

Updates!: Ok, first off the bios I was using had a temperature bug, adjust all temps a few degrees warmer- I'll post new screen shots soon. I started working on the case at 7:30pm and stopped at 6:30am, I'm still an hour or two away- but given the obstacles in this case and the powerstream 600w, I had to work over time with the soldering iron and the dremel to get everything perfect. Not to mention it has 7 cold cathodes (5 fan mounted, 2 tubes) and various other intracacies! It is taking me forever to get it to look tame, quite a bit of patience with the sleeving kit! Pics coming tonight or tomorrow.

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
Originally posted by: SonicIce
is it water cooled?

Nope, extreme air... :)

I have it 95% done now.... temperature probes mounted, wiring done... I just need to finish up a few last things and I'll take some final pictures....... I'll be putting a lot of them, I took a few along the way as I was detailing it.

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
Pictures!

Special thanks to Fullmetal Chocobo for some soldering tips and my girlfriend for using her small hands for fishing wires through obstacles

Took about 12 hours to finish including all soldering, dremeling, etc.

Forgot a few pics, adding a few more in a sec.
EDIT: K, all set.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
awsome!
how about a close up with the side panel off? and pic of said gf?
jk :p

NYTRIDR

Dec 30, 2005
lol watermarked pics?

that cpu is awesome i wish i had bought one. i believe AMD stopped making them because of stolen sales from the FX right?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Have you ran 3dmark yet for stability? Prime means NOTHING when it comes to the Opterons, because the memory controllers are the main problem.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i don't know my stepping (forgot to write it down before putting the HSF on and no way i am taking that off just to look) but it was the same as a guy that was doing 2.7 ghz on air at stock voltage

rgrea

Jan 16, 2006
Hey foodfightr, I sent a PM but going to post here too.

quote:
If you happen to have a dual core opteron and you'd like to PM me with this line, I can tell you quite a bit about your chip and provide an estimation of your potential overclock!

well I have a 175 this is the numbers on it: OSA175DAA6CD then it had : CCBWE 0550 MPMW

I've tried to OC and had some BSOD cuz I haven't got all the setting right yet. I have OCZ PC 4000 EB Plats. and the Auto sets them to DDR500. the crazy thing is I've used the benchmark testing from CPC because it is real world like the applications I use. But when I OC to 2600 FSB and it's stable the bench's slow down and so does my system.

Have you ever seen a full settings in the bios for A8N32 SLI, OCZ PC4000 EB and the 175 Opteron???

Thanks

Robert

LionHeart27

Feb 14, 2006
I've been trying like hell to get my opteron165 stable at 2.6. I have a dfi nf4 ultra d, 2gb g.skill ddr500 ram, Enermax Liberty 500w. I've tried upping the voltage to just under 1.5v and she won't do prime for more than 3 minutes. One core usually peters out first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. These are my settings:

Dram Freq:180 (261mhz)
cpc: 1T
cas:3
trcd: 4
tras:8
trp:4
trc:7
trfc:15
trrd: 2
ter: 2
twtr: 2
trwt: 3
tref: 3684
Dram bank: enable

skew control: Auto
Dqs value: 0
Dram drive strength: (currently set to auto-bios says weak1/normal1, weak2/normal2, weak3/normal3, etc. Most settings just say normal but my bios has like 4 normals and 4 weaks. Have tried different settings to no avail)
Dram data strength: Auto
ddram response time: normal
max async latency:8
read preamble time:5
idlecycle limit:256
dynamic counter: Enable
R/W queue bypass: 16
bypass max:7
32byte granularity: disable

Dram voltage 2.7
Cpu voltage 1.475