My New Build: *NOW WITH PICTURES!*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandytheguy

Junior Member
Jul 18, 2001
4
0
61
Dual core at 2.75GHz is definately sexy. So far I've gotten my Opteron 170 up to 2.9GHz - 2.8GHz stable on air. I'll try for more when I get some better ram and some colder air.

PS. Dual core Opterons are the bomb, I'm glad I made the plung.
 

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
21,303
4
81
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Really? With a modstream 520w? I have one of those here too- but right now PowerStream 600W is chewing this test up and spitting it out. :cool:

Yeah.
The Modstreams aren't very good actually...of course, i didn't realize that till it was too late...

 

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
1,563
0
76
Originally posted by: n7
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Really? With a modstream 520w? I have one of those here too- but right now PowerStream 600W is chewing this test up and spitting it out. :cool:

Yeah.
The Modstreams aren't very good actually...of course, i didn't realize that till it was too late...

My only complaint is the thickness of the cables because on small cases the power plugs push on the motherboard because you have to squeeze them in there to get the door to close.
 

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
1,563
0
76
Working on the memory now, I'll get the whole thing stable and post some benchmarks around the time of the pictures.
 

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
1,563
0
76
Originally posted by: bob4432
what is s&m?

also foodfightr what did you hit on stock V?

9*280 before burn in...... stock is weird on these things

probably be more now!
 

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
11,695
28
91
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Originally posted by: bob4432
what is s&m?

also foodfightr what did you hit on stock V?

9*280 before burn in...... stock is weird on these things

probably be more now!

so you could do 2520MHz on stock V....maybe i will be greedy and pick one up and sell my 144....
 

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
1,563
0
76
Originally posted by: bob4432
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Originally posted by: bob4432
what is s&m?

also foodfightr what did you hit on stock V?

9*280 before burn in...... stock is weird on these things

probably be more now!

so you could do 2520MHz on stock V....maybe i will be greedy and pick one up and sell my 144....


Yes.
 

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
4,733
1,072
136
Looping 3dmark for a couple hours is also good for stability. I'm gonna give that S&M program a try, I just did 2 days of prime 95 13 hours each day and stable.

Operton 146 @ 2.6ghz at 1.45. I'm gonna drop to stock voltage and run prime again 2morrow.
 

Compuzen

Member
Nov 25, 2005
161
0
0
Nice OC, I'm thinking about going to water and see if I can get 3Ghz to be stable. I could run windows fine, but wouldn't prime for more than 11 minutes. Thats if I don't sell my opty and grab a duel core.
 

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
11,695
28
91
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Originally posted by: bob4432
Originally posted by: foodfightr
Originally posted by: bob4432
what is s&m?

also foodfightr what did you hit on stock V?

9*280 before burn in...... stock is weird on these things

probably be more now!

so you could do 2520MHz on stock V....maybe i will be greedy and pick one up and sell my 144....


Yes.

sh!t, decisions...decisions....

option 1 - get a 165 and hope to do 2.5GHz on air and stock V, cost = ~$150 after i sell my 144

option 2 - get an extra 1 or 2GB of ram, 250GB+ hdd and a KVM and use both my old p4 @ 3.0GHz and my current rig if i need to do a quantity of encoding/video editing.... = $150-250....sh!t...

maybe i just have too much time on my hands :confused:
 

foodfightr

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2004
1,563
0
76
My accessories came today! I'm also getting my ram stable- so I expect to have lots of updates to this post soon w/ pics!
 

88NovaTwincam

Senior member
Dec 11, 2005
235
0
0
Originally posted by: bob4432

Yes.

sh!t, decisions...decisions....

option 1 - get a 165 and hope to do 2.5GHz on air and stock V, cost = ~$150 after i sell my 144

option 2 - get an extra 1 or 2GB of ram, 250GB+ hdd and a KVM and use both my old p4 @ 3.0GHz and my current rig if i need to do a quantity of encoding/video editing.... = $150-250....sh!t...

maybe i just have too much time on my hands :confused:[/quote]


I'm happy with my opty144; why bother with dual core now?

How about just a nice raptor 74 gig upgrade?

Have people had success with these KVM's? They're a cheap and seemingly
great mulit-tasking solution! Hmmm wonder if they have an issues...
 

jniles

Member
Dec 31, 2005
28
0
0
:Q 22c cpu temp @ 1.53vcore !!!!!!!!

That must be a nice setup, cant wait to check out your picts

nice oc
 

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
7,078
1
0
Just beware on the DFI Ultra D/SLI DR ...these mobos overvolt anywhere from 0.025-0.05

so if you set 1.53v in bios you get at idle 1.53v but at load you are getting more..closer to 1.6v
 

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
13,211
597
126
Originally posted by: arcenite
I strongly urge you to try S&M. My CPU @ 2.6ghz/default voltage can do dual prime for 10+ hours (still running now, trying to go for 20hrs) and finish SuperPI 32m. S&M can't even pass on my default speed and core voltage (1.8ghz) :(

I'd say it's a bug in S&M. (Especially.. what, PSU test or something like that)