My network is feeling kind of slow. Any network throughput benchmarks I can run? -UPDATE- Sisoft lies in their results

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Files transfers are taking a long time, and times are fluctuating.
Sometimes it drops the network connection.
It is through an Intel 10/100 16 port hub.

I'm assuming it's dying but I want to test it out.
Looking for free download of a network benchmark :D

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
If the hub is dying it'll be dropping packets... LOT'S of packets.

Just run a ping between two computers both plugged directly into the hub. If you get dropped packets, replace the hub.

It might also be bad NIC's... so I wouldn't toss the old hub until you tried a new one.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: MichaelD
SANDRA has a network benchmark feature...
This is the reason why I don't trust or use Sandra to benchmark anything.
My 10/100 hub faster than a 100baseT network, and at firewire speeds @ 14,000 KBps. Hahaha :D

The max theoretical rate of a 100BaseT network is 100 Mbps (or 100,000,000 bps or 12,500,000 Bps or 12,500 KBps).
The max data download rate in KB/s is about 11,000 KB/s according to this website.
Unless my math and the website is wrong, or I'm reading the results from Sandra wrong, or I'm neglecting something...

Their benchmark results seem very fake and generic, as if they were just detecting the hardware and spitting out numbers appropriately scaled.

No problem MichaelD, thanks for the help :)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: psteng19
Originally posted by: MichaelD
SANDRA has a network benchmark feature...
This is the reason why I don't trust or use Sandra to benchmark anything.
My 10/100 hub faster than a 100baseT network, and at firewire speeds. Hahaha :D

Their benchmark results seem very generic, as if they were just spitting out numbers scaled to the hardware.

Oh well, I tried. :)

When I benchmark my network at home (Netgear RT 314) I get 10.6mb/s transfer rate...sounds right to me.