• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question My Network as of 01/10/2020 - workstations @ 2.5GbE-T, trunked @ 10GbE-T to networking cluster, NAS @ 2.5GbE-T, soon to have unRAID server @ 10GbE-T.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just a little update, the prior thread about my "big network makeover" kind of meandered.

Anyways, here's what I've got:
Three Ryzen CPU workstations, each with different motherboards, 2x B450, 1x X370, which may get "upgraded" to a B450, haven't decided yet.

My main workstation, burned out it's onboard 1GbE-T NIC, so I've got an Unitek USB3.0 to 3-port USB3.0 hub + 1GbE-T NIC dongle, plugged into an Orico USB3.0 + USB2.0 hub, plugged into a shielded USB3.0 extension cable, the other two workstations, have their 1GbE-T onboard NICs.

I've also added to each workstation, a RealTek-chipset 8125 PCI-E x1 2.5GbE-T NIC. I've run a parallel set of cables, one for the 1GbE-T connections, and one each for the 2.5GbE-T connections.

The 1GbE-T connections, plug into a TrendNet 8-port GbE "GreenNet" switch.

The 2.5GbE-T connections, plug into a Mikrotik 4-port SFP+ 10GbE + 1GbE-T switch, the one that was $130 @ Amazon. Plugged into that, I have four "ipolex" SFP+ to 10GbE-T copper converters.

And, just like the ServeTheHome article points out, thankfully, these "ipolex" converters, DO support NBASE-T, 2.5GbE-T tested, and supposedly 5GbE-T, as well as of course, 10GbE-T and 1GbE-T. Lucky me, I bought the right ones, even before I knew that little trick. They were around $40 ea. (times four).

So, three of the connections on the Mikrotik switch go to each workstation's 2.5GbE-T connection, over a 30ft Cat6 (A?) pre-made cable, and the four connection, goes over another 30ft Cat6 (A?) connection, to a 10GbE-T port on my Netgear 8x 1GbE + 2x 10GbE-T switch.

The other 10GbE-T port on that switch, goes to a D-Link 8x 2.5GbE-T + 2x SFP+ 10GbE switch, into another ipolex converter, into the 10GbE SFP+ slot.

I then have some 2.5GbE-T connections to some NAS units and the like.

I am happy to report, that Windows 10 handles "ethernet metrics" properly, it appears, and while initial testing of the 2.5GbE-T link to my NAS with a 2.5GbE-T connection, was done with the 1GbE-T 8-port switch unplugged, I can report that when plugged in, and even after a reboot, I still get 271MB/sec to my NAS, even with both the 2.5GbE-T and 1GbE-T NICs active on the main workstation. I haven't checked the other workstations, but I probably will eventually.

I actually need another ipolex SFP+ 10GbE-T converter, so that I can plug in my new unRAID box with an Asus 10GbE-T card, when it's finally built. (Should be very soon now.)

Once that's built, I'll probably start to decommission some of my other, smaller NAS units, or units with older drives.

I'm thinking of busting out my Norco 4020 case, that was all the rage, like what, 5-6 years ago, for "home servers". Still got mine, never built in it, but possibly, now's the time. I have some fairly heavy-duty industrial shelving now that I could probably set it on, along with a UPS available for power.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I eagerly await your unraid build with the 4020. My unraid box is 8 years old, and I'm looking to upgrade it this year. What AMD chip are you going to use in it?

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I've got an ASRock X370 TaiChi mobo, with the 10x SATA6G ports (8x from chipset, 2x from ASMedia add-on chip). Was thinking of maybe a 3600(X) again for it, as it needs the newest BIOS for GPU IOMMU pass-through to work again, and that BIOS basically needs a 3rd-gen / 3000-series Ryzen CPU. I do have another 1600 BNIB, not sure how well that will work with the newest BIOS. Could try it, I suppose.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Well, I've got an ASRock X370 TaiChi mobo, with the 10x SATA6G ports (8x from chipset, 2x from ASMedia add-on chip). Was thinking of maybe a 3600(X) again for it, as it needs the newest BIOS for GPU IOMMU pass-through to work again, and that BIOS basically needs a 3rd-gen / 3000-series Ryzen CPU. I do have another 1600 BNIB, not sure how well that will work with the newest BIOS. Could try it, I suppose.
A 3600x will work great with unraid. I have a xeon 1230 in mine. It does ok for the most part, but plex needs more power for 4k transcoding, and I want to be able to add more memory for VMs.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
My Speeds Transfering from a File Server to NAS over 10gbe.

Server is on Raid-5 with 5 x HGST He6 with SSD Cache.
NAS is on FreeNAS RAIDZ2 with 12 x HGST He8 on a HBA controller.

Nic cards are both Malanox 10Gbe SFP+ connected over a Mikrotik SFP+ Switch. (same one you listed) Connected via SFP+ DAC cable.

Larry once you go 10gbe u cant go back... its painful to go back.

Ranulf

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2001
Semi-OT but I've noticed amazon and NE doesnt have any of the aquantia cards in stock besides the Qnap one for $90.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS