My neighbors house just caught on fire....holy crap...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
so your house is worth at least $330k?
and a double wide trailer costs $250k?!?

hope your home insurance is at least $330k
I should have been more clear on the term manufactured home. I was not referring to a mobile home but a stick built home that is built in a factory and then transported to the site.

I feel for that woman. Imagine losing everything and not being able to rebuild at least something nearly as equal.

That prompted me today and I texted my friend who is the agent of the developer who built my place and he told me the price per sq foot to replace my property, and my Dwelling coverage is just over that. Phew.
Yeah it's a bad situation all around and of course the insurance companies are jerking her around to like they typically do. We were talking the other day and she was telling us that she received six call from six different adjusters all saying that in order to complete the claim on her two vehicles they need the keys.

Well the keys to the cars were sitting on the kitchen counter and as you can imagine they were gone.......

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Yeah it's a bad situation all around and of course the insurance companies are jerking her around to like they typically do. We were talking the other day and she was telling us that she received six call from six different adjusters all saying that in order to complete the claim on her two vehicles they need the keys.

Well the keys to the cars were sitting on the kitchen counter and as you can imagine they were gone.......

Thats ridiculous I'd probably throw a fit until somebody got a brain but she can have keys made with the vin at a locksmith if she has to.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Insurance companies are ridiculous when it comes to trying to do a claim. They'll do everything possible to deny your claim and also give you ridiculous requirements like having to destroy things that are still good and just generally give you the run around. My parents had a house fire and it was a hell of a nightmare to deal with. They did not lose the house thankfully but the fire itself, and then the water from putting it out basically did enough damage that the whole house pretty much had to be redone. New hardwood floors, new paint, new ceiling drywall, new roof including a couple new trusses and sheathing, new siding etc. In the end it worked out since everything is new now but there was lot of fighting along the way to get insurance to cover things that they did not want to or dealing with bad contractors etc.

Insurance is better than not having insurance at all, but it's also no walk in the park to deal with when you need it.