Question My Microsoft Account took over my login

sonoferu

Jun 6, 2010
I made a video on my iPhone of my grandson hunting Easter eggs. I emailed it to my computer to view it there, and the *.mov file said it needed a codec to play on Media Player. So I clicked the "GET IT" button and worked through a few windows until I came to one that asked me to log into my Microsoft Account, starting with my email. I filled it in and couldn't remember my MS password so I let it email me a code to get in. Then I ran out of patience with the process of setting up a payment for the 99 cents it cost, and just closed out of it. After doing some more stuff I quit and went upstairs and had dinner.

When I came back it had gone to sleep of course. When I woke it up, the login screen no longer showed my user name. It was now my email. I hadn't had a login password but for this login it required my Microsoft Account password. And then it required me to set up a PIN.

So it looks like whatever I did there in trying to get into MS to get the codec, it took my email and made that my user name. Or made my whole MS Account into my user account. And now it requires the PIN to get in.

What did I do?????

Once in, things look the way it looked under my username login, and under Users my user name is there. I guess the only "problem" it caused is it's requiring me to enter my PIN. But I'm a convenience guy, and I purposely didn't set a password to get in. But it really irks me (and makes me a bit nervous) that Microsoft took over my login. What did I do that it happened like that???

Hummpf!

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Go to Settings > Accounts > Your Info

There should be an Account Settings section which has a Microsoft account and an option to "Sign in with a local account instead"

Go through the prompts, and you should get back to your local account.

By default anytime Windows needs to download something it will use the windows store which needs a microsoft account. You can avoid that by not letting windows get what it thinks it needs, instead you need to download and installing things on your own if you don't want a microsoft account.

Reactions: mikeymikec