my lower back is killing me slowly...what to do?

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
lately my back is killing me, I dont know what it could be, maybe my mattress or my chair at work.

should i go to chiropractor?

is it worth it?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I've found that mine hurts a lot if I sit badly, which I almost always do. Sit up straight with lumbar support.

mandala

Dec 24, 2003
Why not talk to your doctor about it? They should be able to suggest something or someone to help you fix the problem.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Do some lower back exercises, it starts to help me after a just a couple of days.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bradruth
Sleep with a pillow under your legs. That usually works for me. :)

I highly recommend sleeping with a pillow between the knees if you're a fetal position sleeper. It has somthing to do with aligning the back. Works great for me. A lot of back problems can be attributed to poor sleep positioning.... I mean think about it 8 hours of relativly the same position.

HonkeyDonk

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Does it hurt when you stand up straight and then lean forward? If so, it's possible that your lower back muscles are inflammed...and if it's really bad, there might be an extreme chance that you ruptured your lumbar.

But most likely it'll be the former and if that's the case, ask your doctor to prescribe some anti-inflammatory medication. That stuff will help immensly.

bigalt

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2000
what kind of pain is it? does it always hurt, or does it hurt more when you move around?

if the former, you could get a friend to open you up and perform a small laminectomy, relieving the pressure on a pinched nerve. just don't have him remove too much of the facets or it can cause spinal instability.

if the latter, you probably need to exercise/stretch it. on your bed before sleeping and in the morning, bring your knees to your chest and keeping your shoulders flat roll your legs to each side, slowly.

or of course, it could be a tumor.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: kermalou
lately my back is killing me, I dont know what it could be, maybe my mattress or my chair at work.

is it worth it?

Yes, chiro is definitely worth it. Forget about your doctor, all he/she can do is give you pain killers. The problem will still be there after the pills are depleted.

Seeing a chiro is not very expensive and your medical insurance may cover it.

Back problems are not something that just happens over night. It took years of abuse to get your back to that point. Besides theropy, the Chiropractor may be able to give you advice on how to take care of your back.

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I've found that mine hurts a lot if I sit badly, which I almost always do. Sit up straight with lumbar support.
Same here. If I slouch too much or lean way back (and take my lower back away from the chair's lumbar support) it feels comfortable to me at the time because I'm relaxed, but it definitely makes it MUCH MUCH more sore later on. I've got two chairs in my office. Lately I've switched chairs to the one with more padding and better lumbar support and have been forcing myself to sit up a bit straighter. My pains have all but disappeared now.

thevigmaster

Banned
Mar 5, 2004
if you promise to do what i say i will tell you how to fix it, it will only take about 30 mins once or twice. will you do what i say? pm me.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Originally posted by: kermalou

is it worth it?

Yes, chiro is definitely worth it. Forget about your doctor, all he/she can do is give you pain killers. The problem will still be there after the pills are depleted.

Seeing a chiro is not very expensive and your medical insurance may cover it.

Back problems are not something that just happens over night. It took years of abuse to get your back to that point. Besides theropy, the Chiropractor may be able to give you advice on how to take care of your back.

I don't trust chiropractors that much anymore. It seems as though they somtimes make it worse just to get you to come in for repeated treatments.

thevigmaster

Banned
Mar 5, 2004
its called deep pressure massage.

most normal back and shoulder injuries are tissue injuries. obviously this technique wont work with serious injuries like fractures and slip disks.

you have muscle, sinew and tendons in your back. when you tear a few fibres of these tissues, what happens in some of the interlinking fibres literally tear apart, the surrounding healthy fibres then tense up and this does two things, it stops ribboning happening along the line of the tissue, also the 'knot' around the damaged fibres prevents amino acids getting to the damaged fibres and therefore the damage cant heal.

so you need to break the walls of the 'knot' down. its like tenderising meat. when the knot is broken up a bit both the torn tissues and the knot can heal.

so find the area that hurts by using preferably your own fingers and pressing down till you find the part that hurts most, and get the exact right spot of tendon or muscle. the spend a few minutes pressing your fingers into it and massaging it. keep thinking 'tenderise meat' in terms of pressure. obviously this will hurt a bit.

you may have to repeat the process a few times to fuly clear a knot leaving enough time in between for some healing to take place, say a week.

finally if you dont want it back, when you go to the gym do a few 'face down sit-ups' or deadlifts, it works like a treat to strengthen your back.