my love of the halflings leaf has clrearly slowed my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That's scary...you're already "slow."

If you're referring to smoking pot...you're an excellent example of why it should remain illegal.

:p

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Clear evidence you're a halfwitling. Time to turn over a new leaf.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
That line isn't in the book, if I remember correctly. The closest thing to it is a short snippet in UNFISIHED TALES (the essay "The Hunt For The Ring", part iii), where Gandalf and Saruman argue at a meeting of the White Council (a hundred years or so before THE HOBBIT). Saruman is trying to dissuade the Council from okaying Gandalf's plan to attack Dol Guldur (which he suspects to be Sauron's summer home). Gandalf smokes his pipe, which annoys Saruman. He rips in to Gandalf: "When weighty matters are in debate, Mithrandir, I wonder little that you should play with your toys of fire and smoke, while others are in earnest speech."

Gandalf came back: "You should not wonder, if you used the herb yourself. You might find that the smoke blown out clears the mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger. But it is not one of my toys. It is an art of the Little People away in the West; merry and worthy folk, though not of much account, perhaps, in your high policies."

Saruman gives Gandalf a ration of cold disdain. Gandalf blows a bunch of smoke rings at him, but when Saruman tries to grasp them, they dissipate in his grasp. (Get it? GET IT??)

I think that pipeweed is just tobacco (would a fusty Oxford prof know about marijuana and cite it approvingly in the early 1950s?)

Although it would explain why Hobbits were always so hungry...

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
I think that pipeweed is just tobacco (would a fusty Oxford prof know about marijuana and cite it approvingly in the early 1950s?)

My dad the jazz musician sure knew about the stuff and lots more - his tales of the South Pacific during WWII were pretty enlightening. Stands to reason some college profs would be onto the stuff too.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999

Although it would explain why Hobbits were always so hungry...

A lot more people than you seem to realize knew what weed was then and long before then.

Note, I am not contending I know what he meant pipeweed to be, only that the possibility that he meant it as MJ is quite there.

Status
Not open for further replies.