My little SoB experiment today, SoB members may wanna take a look :)

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
As many of you know I like to OC my computers.
My home computer is by far the biggest OC of all of them. But my production has been jumping because of heat problems from my computers at the office (CPU)

So today I tried something. If my rate does not drop tonight, I will consider it successful :)

You all might remember the thread created by Sean.

Well Not I did not go for as big of an OC as what they were.
I had a Celeron4 2GHz @ 2.76GHz with the memory running @ the 3:4 ratio with the respective timings at 2.5-3-3-7. It's average cEMs/sec were about 276000 +/-
Well I lowered the OC on the beast down to a respectable 2.4GHz and brought the voltage back down to stock levels.
This time however I increased the memory timings to 2-2-2-6 still running @ 3:4. My cEMs/sec on that machine went from that 276000 upto 325620 and still rising (after 3 blocks :)).
That is a difference of 49620 cEMs being produced. Or in simpler terms, basically the same output of a Celeron 600MHz.

I did the same thing with another computer, a 1.6GHz P4 Willamette (The 256k cache version). But alas, the memory will only run 2-2-2-6 upto 124FSB @ 3:4 ratio.
So I seen a drop of 12000 cEMs/sec on that machine (the equivelent of a AMD K6-2 450MHz) :(. But the plus side is that the CPU is running sooo much cooler.

I have not memtested the the memory yet to check for stability because I had to watch the entire office by myself :|. But in the mean time I will be seeing a slight increase in speed which hopefully will not fluctuate any more.

For my home computer I plan on dropping the FSB down to say... 156 and running it in Turbo mode with 2-2-2-5 timings if possible. I wanna see how that effects the home computer.
I'll keep you all posted :).

SinfulWeeper

Diamond Member
Sep 2, 2000
:Q. My XMS is no longer passing Memtest @ 425DDR. Perhaps that is why my rate had a huge drop in my home computer that I never totally recovered :|:|:|.
Right now it only passes 400DDR at 2-2-2-5 timings :disgust:.
I can reach that in one of two ways. Either through turbo, or 3:4 timings.

While turbo does provide much more memory bandwidth for the CPU. It is hampered by the fact that it sacrifices way too much clock speed. So 3:4 is faster of the two right now.

I retested my CPU testing's to make sure my CPU was not the culprite (Only ¼ of the average testing I normally do though... but good enough) and it still passes them.

Hi ho!, Hi ho! it off to the CPU forums I go. ;)
Gotta see if there is any memory out there that does 2-2-2-(5 through 7) @ 458DDR. If there is I have to order me a stick or two.
If I do manage to find memory that fast (which I doubt I will)... will it let me break 500000 cEMs/sec? :confused:
My computer will then be running 172FSB and on turbo memory timings.
(fastest my CPU was tested stable, but 3:4 timings did not pass at that bus speed)