My little glow worm! jaundice sucks.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
and 2
glow worm!

My newborn came down with jaundice. the levels were not high (highest was 18) but they had us go get a light system to help reduce it.

heh poor kid looks like a glow worm or a radioactive smurf. :(

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
my 8month old has a small case of jaundice as well. but it cleared up in a month or so...frequent sunlight seems to help

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: intogamer
wat is jaundice.... 2 lazy to google it

Jaundice, also known as icterus (attributive adjective: "icteric"), is a yellowing of the skin, sclera (the white of the eyes) and mucous membranes caused by increased levels of bilirubin in the human body (or the body of another red blooded animal). Usually the concentration of bilirubin in the blood must exceed 2?3 mg/dL for the coloration to be easily visible. Jaundice comes from the French word jaune, meaning yellow.

wiki

Originally posted by: Maximus96
my 8month old has a small case of jaundice as well. but it cleared up in a month or so...frequent sunlight seems to help

yeah thats what were told. trouble is its been raining. but the light is working. the numbers are way down. not that they ever got to high.

Jan 18, 2001
Our first kid was jaundice for about 2 weeks due to the fact that they had to use the suction device on his head and he had a big bruise which his liver couldn't process.

hope all is well with you guys and you're taking things in stride.

:beer:

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
I had jaundice really bad when I was little, and actually was flagged for a really high biliruben count when I had a blood test a few years ago (Gilbert's syndrome, if anyone wants the technical term). It's harmless, I can just turn yellowish (actually just the skin underneath my eyes) if I consume a high volume of foods with fatty acids.

state 08

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2005
I never knew that had special lighting for jaundice. I thought the kidsn were just only put under natural sunlight.

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000

It's a condition among newborns where they turn yellow due to the real father being Asian. Named after Dr. Woo Jaundice whose mistress popped out a yellow newborn, greatly upsetting his white neighbor and friend who thought for months that he was the father. A quick thinker and avid sun tanner, Dr. Jaundice came up with the story of the condition being an easily treatable infant illness where all they had to do was expose the baby to some spectrum of light for a few days. The result was the baby got a nice tan and the prolonged exposure to UV light at such a tender age mutated the baby's genes so that it no longer appeared Asian. Since then, the treatment developed by Dr. Jaundice has been used by many doctors to prevent husbands from killing their Asian neighbors.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: sandmanwake

It's a condition among newborns where they turn yellow due to the real father being Asian. Named after Dr. Woo Jaundice whose mistress popped out a yellow newborn, greatly upsetting his white neighbor and friend who thought for months that he was the father. A quick thinker and avid sun tanner, Dr. Jaundice came up with the story of the condition being an easily treatable infant illness where all they had to do was expose the baby to some spectrum of light for a few days. The result was the baby got a nice tan and the prolonged exposure to UV light at such a tender age mutated the baby's genes so that it no longer appeared Asian. Since then, the treatment developed by Dr. Jaundice has been used by many doctors to prevent husbands from killing their Asian neighbors.
LOL

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: state 08
I never knew that had special lighting for jaundice. I thought the kidsn were just only put under natural sunlight.

yeah they have the wrap which is for lower levels. higher get put under a brighter light (they need eye protection for that) and if they are really high they get both.

only neat thing is we have a nurse coming out every day to check on him. also a lady from La Leche Legue is coming out also to help with breastfeeding.

now we need a new breast pump. one we had broke =(

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: state 08

yeah they have the wrap which is for lower levels. higher get put under a brighter light (they need eye protection for that) and if they are really high they get both.

only neat thing is we have a nurse coming out every day to check on him. also a lady from La Leche Legue is coming out also to help with breastfeeding.

now we need a new breast pump. one we had broke =(

Pics?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: sandmanwake

AH HA! i knew it! i wondered why the milk man was over a lot (he is asian) and we never had any milk..

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: SagaLore
I don't understand - how does the light help? :confused:

From the link I posted above:

Phototherapy employs blue wavelengths of light to alter unconjugated bilirubin in the skin. The bilirubin is converted to less toxic water-soluble photoisomers that are excreted in the bile and urine without conjugation. The decision to initiate phototherapy is based on the newborn's age and total serum bilirubin level.