My Laptop lags when I multi task help :( i give reward

Pikaboo

Mar 25, 2013
MAJOR LAG when I multie tasking Help (Reward)
Hi first of all this is the laptop I bought 1 month ago
Chassis & Display Optimus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i3 Dual Core Mobile Processor i3-4000M (2.40GHz) 3MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M - 2.0GB DDR5, 640 CUDA Cores - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
2nd Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
mSATA/M.2 SSD Drive NONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-7260 HMC (300Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
Wireless Router/HomePlugs NONE
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery Optimus Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language BACKLIT OPTIMUS UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Microsoft® Internet Explorer
Carry Case NONE
Laptop Cooling Stands NONE
Stand-Alone Monitor NONE
Additional Keyboard NONE
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Gaming Mouse Pad NONE
External Speakers NONE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets NONE
Surge Protection NONE
Printer NONE
External Hard Drive NONE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home Installation NONE
Dead Pixel Guarantee NONE
Insurance NONE

Basically when I'm browsing the internet and load Skype for example everything lags everything takes 10seconds to load. Another example. I play a game and I browse the internet. The game dosent lag but the internet lags again 10seconds to load. Another example. I load 3 tabs on google chrome, then I load Twitch TV on the other tab. The stream LAGS like MEGA lag. Another example. I load sky news on my browser then I load Reddit on the 2nd tab. The reddit tab lags i.e when i click on a thread etc it has 3 sec delays to even click the thread. ANother example. I load skype then I load Powerpoint. The powerpoint lags like when i click on something it delays like 2 seconds. Same goes when i click on a different program like paint it takes forever to load. Any ideas wtf is going on with my laptop? NO I do not have crappy internet my internet is really really good. I have 60up and 15 down. Can someone help me out here? I've been having this issue since I bought this laptop 1 month ago, I'm posting this thread now because now I'm actually be using this laptop for everything. I will donate 5 pounds to you via paypal for solving this issue for me because I have tried google and nothing is helping.
Also I'm pretty sure the specs on my laptop can handle multie tasking even if I have 1000 tabs up it shouldnt give me mega lag. It's freaking ridiculous if you dont believe me you can TV me and maybe help me from there?
I really really appreciate the help like i said i will happily donate 5 pounds to you via paypal

fyi do i need to install something special? i lost all my disk (dont ask why lol) and I do have windows 8 legit. I have hotkey installed is there a certain setting i need to set for no lag? Oh I forgot to mention I have a SSD installed so pls ingnore the HDD i listed above. Thanks.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
My sense is that it is due to the I3 CPU. To do what you do as you expect to do it, I would suggest at least a I5.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
My sense is that it is due to the I3 CPU. To do what you do as you expect to do it, I would suggest at least a I5.

Your spidersense is failing you...

Hard Disk 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
Theres your problem, 5,400 rpm laptop drives ,slower than watching paint dry,and only 8mb chache.
Everytime you want to load up something it has to spin up and then search around on it's surface to find the file segments it has to load.

Get an SSD as soon as possible.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
Read his last line.

Your spidersense is failing you...

Theres your problem, 5,400 rpm laptop drives ,slower than watching paint dry,and only 8mb chache.
Everytime you want to load up something it has to spin up and then search around on it's surface to find the file segments it has to load.

Get an SSD as soon as possible.

Oh I forgot to mention I have a SSD installed so pls ingnore the HDD i listed above. Thanks.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Well I have a core i3-4130 that will turn a wei score of 7.2 when installed on a motherboard with a z97 chipset which is almost as good as a quad core so the cpu isn't the issue.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Your HDD is the likely culprit. Browsers tend to cache to the storage drive, so this may explain your poor browser performance.

My own laptop has a1st gen 2.5 ghz i5 dual core which is probably slower but never lags unless I peg the cpu.

Pikaboo

Mar 25, 2013
so no one can help me out here? if you guys don't know pls stop the little conversations its shit posting my thread so no one could help me here ;(*

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Basically, from what you have explained, the lag results from multitasking the I3 CPU too much.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Basically, from what you have explained, the lag results from multitasking the I3 CPU too much.

I wouldn't think an i3 would cave under the load op described. In my case (with an older cpu), I can run a render (already a 100% load), browse the internet, and stream video all at once. I am inflined to believe there is an issue as opposed to a cpu bottleneck.

Last edited:

Pikaboo

Mar 25, 2013
I wouldn't think an i3 would cave under the load op described. In my case (with an older cpu), I can run a render (already a 100% load), browse the internet, and stream video all at once. I am inflined to believe there is an issue as opposed to a cpu bottleneck.
im certain is nothing to do with my cpu. I have a feeling something i need to install but i dont know what. :(

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
For S&Gs, run MSCONFIG.EXE, and make certain that all CPU cores and RAM are correctly being utilized.

Also: Read this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2432113

If the SSD was cloned from a HDD, make sure that the partition alignment is "good".

Edit: Also, is it plugged in, or on battery, when you have issues? Could it be throttling the CPU down on battery? (This happens more often than you think, with Intel laptops.) Run CPU-Z and and Prime95, and plug the laptop in, and then run it on battery, and see what the max frequency changes to.

Last edited:

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
Since you got the laptop only a month ago, I suggest you take it back to the shop for a check. Maybe discuss with them for a CPU upgrade IF it is a CPU bottleneck, or maybe get a better laptop?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
If he did swap from a HDD to SSD, perhaps something got borked during the swap...was the HDD on IDE mode? Did you swap to and correctly apply AHCI in windows (or do a full reinstall w/ AHCI on)

Perhaps run an SSD benchmark and compare numbers to see if it's running in the correct performance range.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
explain? ;P

For S&Gs, run MSCONFIG.EXE, and make certain that all CPU cores and RAM are correctly being utilized.

Also: Read this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2432113

If the SSD was cloned from a HDD, make sure that the partition alignment is "good".

Edit: Also, is it plugged in, or on battery, when you have issues? Could it be throttling the CPU down on battery? (This happens more often than you think, with Intel laptops.) Run CPU-Z and and Prime95, and plug the laptop in, and then run it on battery, and see what the max frequency changes to.

He's talking about power profiles, if you ave it set to low power in windows you can get throttling.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
That i3 4000M is still one of the best processors in the mobile market, it's not the CPU, but it's definitely that HDD and how fragmented and worn it is getting and how long you've gone with your OS install (assuming it's Windows which becomes very sluggish over time)- I'd second the suggestion of a SSD.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A lot of your issues could be explained by Internet lag. Are there other computers in the home with the this Internet connection and are they suffering the same lags?

Have you tried plugging the laptop straight into the midem?

What type of internet security software are you running?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Subscribed. My Thinkpad T60 occasionally goes catatonic for a minute, maybe more at a time. I hit CTRL+Alt+Delete and wait until my monitor goes blue to know it's come out of whatever is hanging it up. I'll comb through this thread further for ideas. Maybe I have a power profile for power saving that's "throttling" the machine. When I close my Pale Moon browser for whatever reason I've taken to not restoring the windows/tabs because they would take up over 1GB of RAM and the machine's only running 3GB. I don't believe the machine would benefit from bumping it to the max of 4GB.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
What is the model of your SSD? Is it pure SSD (no bybrid?)

Install and run PC Wizard. Post results. Run the Global Performance banchmark. After it finishes a pentagon will be displayed which will tell you the weak and strong points for your system.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
In order for us to help you Pikaboo, you would need to give us some feedback here.

Pikaboo

Mar 25, 2013
sorry guys was afk for couple of days. Im downloaing PC wizard now and i will post results asap! sorry i apologize ;(