Question My laptop 3.55mm headphone jack is broken. What are my options now?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I need your advice. I have a cheap Windows 11 HP laptop with integrated video and sound. It has realtek sound drivers. Nothing fancy at all. It is Intel 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHZ. My laptop 3.5mm headphone jack is loose and not working properly. I can't use it properly now. What are my options now? Keep in mind I have a cheap laptop with integrated audio and video.

I think DACS would be overkill and too expensive for me right now. So, USB headphones for hundreds of dollars? Or some USB headphone adapter that is not too expensive? Dare I say the sound quality would be awful? What options do I have? My headphones are just some cheap Skullcandy Cassette Junior Wired Over-Ear Headphone.

6 Best USB to 3.5 mm Jack – Headset & Audio Adapter for 2023 - Reviews (solderingironguide.com)

Amazon.com: DUKABEL USB to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapter, USB to Aux Cable with TRRS 4-Pole Mic-Supported USB to Headphone AUX Adapter Built-in Chip External Sound Card for PC PS4 PS5 and More [9.8 inch] : Electronics

Would the Dukabel USB adapter by the best bet for the price? Something much better for around the same price?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Why not just use Bluetooth? No jack, wires, or soldering needed. Decent bt pods are only $40. They last all day and some cases will even charge them w/o being plugged in.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Why not just use Bluetooth? No jack, wires, or soldering needed. Decent bt pods are only $40. They last all day and some cases will even charge them w/o being plugged in.

Bluetooth causes my internet wifi to become slow and sluggish when streaming movies. I also have problems getting it to connect as well.

I prefer wired connections now due to internet issues when my bluetooth headphones were on.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Odd, never encountered that. Then again I swap wifi cards when something new comes along. Might just be the wifi card in the laptop.

Since you're running 11th gen I would put an Intel AX210 in it and see if things improve. The hardwire option is going to get messy if you my ove about often.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Usb sound card with minijack out? Usb headphones?

Never heard of BT impacting wifi. Have you tried switching to 5GHz for your wifi connection?

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Usb sound card with minijack out? Usb headphones?

Never heard of BT impacting wifi. Have you tried switching to 5GHz for your wifi connection?

I am not in USA. Internet sucks in my Country and 5GHz is not even an option for me.

My sister lives in USA though and she can order for me through amazon USA and ship it to my Country.

My house is three stories high and my modem/router is on the bottom floor. It has to travel through steel and cement walls to reach my laptop wifi on the top floor. When I use bluetooth headphone, it messes with me watching streaming movies online. Regular internet surfing is fine.

Like I said, I went back to wired headphone but now my headphone jack is not working. Cheapest option for me might be a USB to 3.5mm adapter. They are usually under 15 US dollars.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am not in USA. Internet sucks in my Country and 5GHz is not even an option for me.

My sister lives in USA though and she can order for me through amazon USA and ship it to my Country.

My house is three stories high and my modem/router is on the bottom floor. It has to travel through steel and cement walls to reach my laptop wifi on the top floor. When I use bluetooth headphone, it messes with me watching streaming movies online. Regular internet surfing is fine.

Like I said, I went back to wired headphone but now my headphone jack is not working. Cheapest option for me might be a USB to 3.5mm adapter. They are usually under 15 US dollars.

Then run a hard wire up to your room.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Then run a hard wire up to your room.

Yes, I thought of that. I have TWO of those wires already bought. One runs to my smart TV. The problem is that my laptop does not have an ethernet port. I would have to buy an ethernet to usb port adapter to connect to internet through wired.

Cable Matters Plug & Play USB to Ethernet Adapter with PXE, MAC Address Clone Support (Ethernet to USB 2.0 Adapter, Ethernet Adapter for Laptop) Supporting 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Network in Black (amazon.com)

That costs about 12 dollars usa money.

I have two options now. Should I buy that Sound Blaster adapter and improve my sound quality on my laptop? Or buy the ethernet adapter to get wired internet to my laptop?

Maybe I should buy both? Hmmmm....... that would solve many problems indeed.

You got me thinking here.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes, I thought of that. I have TWO of those wires already bought. One runs to my smart TV. The problem is that my laptop does not have an ethernet port. I would have to buy an ethernet to usb port adapter to connect to internet through wired.

Cable Matters Plug & Play USB to Ethernet Adapter with PXE, MAC Address Clone Support (Ethernet to USB 2.0 Adapter, Ethernet Adapter for Laptop) Supporting 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Network in Black (amazon.com)

That costs about 12 dollars usa money.

I have two options now. Should I buy that Sound Blaster adapter and improve my sound quality on my laptop? Or buy the ethernet adapter to get wired internet to my laptop?

Maybe I should buy both? Hmmmm....... that would solve many problems indeed.

You got me thinking here.

eh? most laptops have Ethernet port that is collapsible. What model is your laptop?

1676840095268.png

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
eh? most laptops have Ethernet port that is collapsible. What model is your laptop?

View attachment 76839

I don't have one. Trust me. Here are the specs.

HP Laptop 15-dy2032nr Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

My main issue is that my headphone jack port is not working. I have wifi that works quite well. However, not so good with bluetooth headphones.

I just need a 3.5mm heaphone usb adaptor to use my wired headphones. That is my main issue. I cannot use my wired headphones.

So question is for me. What usb headphone adaptor should I buy?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't have one. Trust me. Here are the specs.

HP Laptop 15-dy2032nr Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

My main issue is that my headphone jack port is not working. I have wifi that works quite well. However, not so good with bluetooth headphones.

I just need a 3.5mm heaphone usb adaptor to use my wired headphones. That is my main issue. I cannot use my wired headphones.

So question is for me. What usb headphone adaptor should I buy?

Yeah any of the usb ones that has minijack analogue output is fine. Need to check your headphones for impedance though.

Last edited: