My knee hurts

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Yes, I'm going to see a doctor. I'm posting here because I'm out of the country and wasn't planning on seeing anyone until I returned.

I have no pain when I walk. I have almost no pain when I climb stairs. When I do any lateral movement for several minutes (such as pivoting in basketball), my knee hurts. When I put a great deal of force on it (like pushing down on a bike pedal in low gear), it hurts.

When it started hurting, I was running. I heard no pops. There is no swelling.

Any thoughts?

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
It could be a ton of things. Do you ride a bicycle? If yes, your seat is adjusted incorrectly. Are you a teenager? You could be growing. Do you step evenly or roll your ankle inward when you walk? Is it both knees or just one? Details are helpful.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan
It could be a ton of things. Do you ride a bicycle? If yes, your seat is adjusted incorrectly. Are you a teenager? You could be growing. Do you step evenly or roll your ankle inward when you walk? Is it both knees or just one? Details are helpful.

Sorry,

I was riding my bike daily to work (10k roundtrip). I'm 22. No ankle problems. Only my left knee.

It hasn't hurt to walk on or climb stairs (only slightly on an occasional basis) since I hurt it (Sunday). I've avoided my bike since then, except for this morning. The ride was mostly fine except once or twice I had sharp pain in my knee when pushing down on the pedal. I kept the bike in very low gear to reduce strain and I walked it up steeper hills.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Yes, I'm going to see a doctor. I'm posting here because I'm out of the country and wasn't planning on seeing anyone until I returned.

I have no pain when I walk. I have almost no pain when I climb stairs. When I do any lateral movement for several minutes (such as pivoting in basketball), my knee hurts. When I put a great deal of force on it (like pushing down on a bike pedal in low gear), it hurts.

Any thoughts?

you need to stretch out your glut med and strip your tensor fasciae latae. it sounds like you've got an inflamed lcl and iliotibial band. treating the lcl will only help for a short period of time... you need to tackle why the lcl/it band is inflamed, which is probably trigger points on your tensor fasciae latae and tight glut meds. don't do any exercise or anything involving your knees for a couple weeks. don't take advil or aleve.

make sure you ice the side of your knee... 15 mins on, 10 mins off, 15 mins on.

talk to your doctor about ultrasound and cold laser therapy to help reduce inflamation and promote tissue healing.

edit: also, see a chiropractor to adjust your pelvis. it sounds like you might have a pelvic "twisting" which is causing your it band and glut meds to fire up and cause inflammation at your knee. once the pelvis is set back to the way it should be, you shouldn't have problems anymore.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: eits

Any thoughts?

you need to stretch out your glut med and strip your tensor fasciae latae. it sounds like you've got an inflamed lcl and iliotibial band. treating the lcl will only help for a short period of time... you need to tackle why the lcl/it band is inflamed, which is probably trigger points on your tensor fasciae latae and tight glut meds. don't do any exercise or anything involving your knees for a couple weeks. don't take advil or aleve.

talk to your doctor about ultrasound and cold laser therapy to help reduce inflamation and promote tissue healing.

edit: also, see a chiropractor to adjust your pelvis. it sounds like you might have a pelvic "twisting" which is causing your it band and glut meds to fire up and cause inflammation at your knee. once the pelvis is set back to the way it should be, you shouldn't have problems anymore.

Funny you'd mention that. I saw a rolfer a few years ago, who pointed out that my pelvis is out of line and that the left side of my pelvis 'twists' backwards - effectively shortening my left leg. I've been doing a bunch of excerises in the last few months to try and help it, but they haven't been as effective as I hoped.

Basically what you're saying though is that I'm probably okay to walk around on it, as long as I'm not too physically active for a bit? I think I'm headed to see a doc tomorrow, just to make sure I didn't do any serious damage and to make sure that I won't hurt it more just walking around.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: eits

Any thoughts?

Funny you'd mention that. I saw a rolfer a few years ago, who pointed out that my pelvis is out of line and that the left side of my pelvis 'twists' backwards - effectively shortening my left leg. I've been doing a bunch of excerises in the last few months to try and help it, but they haven't been as effective as I hoped.

Basically what you're saying though is that I'm probably okay to walk around on it, as long as I'm not too physically active for a bit? I think I'm headed to see a doc tomorrow, just to make sure I didn't do any serious damage and to make sure that I won't hurt it more just walking around.

take your fat wallet out of your back pocket. get a slim wallet and carry around only the cards you need. try carrying it in the front.

i can almost guarantee you didn't do any serious damage. your case sounds pretty classic.

keep away from anti-inflammatories like aleve and advil because they will decrease tissue healing and will decrease the pain sensation. i know it sounds weird to say that pain sensation decrease is a bad thing, but hear me out. decrease in pain sensation due to anti-inflammatory drugs not only decreases tissue healing, but it gives a false sense of security to people. the pain is there for a reason... it's telling you that your body's trying to heal something that's injured. when people don't feel the pain anymore, they go back to doing what they were normally doing, which would only increase the trauma at the site, thereby making the problem worse.

in my opinion, your treatment would include chiropractic adjustment of your pelvis, icing your lateral knee, stripping out the side of your leg, and stretching out your glut meds. you'll be right as rain. if i had cold laser and/or ultrasound at my disposal, i'd use that on you. it's not absolutely necessary, but it'll help your tissues repair faster so you can get back to your daily activities without pain quicker.

:)