my kingdom for a cool lookin cube case for atx

Arandomperson

Apr 9, 2015
mobo went bad so being the internetscrack addict I am I started the long search and read for new mobo and such. When it came down to a case I just couldnt make up my mind or find anything that hits home. Was wondering if anyone would give me some decent input here.

First the parts going inside of this.
Devils Canyon Core i7 4790K (from what ive read this thing gets real hot)
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
going cheap on ram here since I set a limit on funds so
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800
Saved a bit on the vid card as well
gforce 960 (fricken thing is huge, major size up from my saphire 3870)
An Antec 650w psu
and finally the cooler
Corsair Hydro Series H60

Ive been lookin for a cube type case or a full tower that is a hair wider then normal, like instead of 9" about 12 or 14"ish.? Who decided that a case has to have just enough room? idk the more I look the more I am starting to think that this is an unrealistic thing to look for unless I want to spend around 600. to a thousand.
Why do I want it wider? Honestly? Mainly for the cosmetics of it :whiste: as well as just room. Most cases I have found have just enough room for a straight up atx board to fit. I dont want just enough room I want space in there. I have a dedicated room for playing in and I have my computer rite in front of me for easy access so space and area are not an issue.
I want silence. I had an old lian li and got these thermaltake fans for it (way back when) and omfg, that thing sounds like a jet engine taken off.
Something with a removable mobo tray and 3.5 hds with mic and speaker as well as a few usb around the lower side of the front.

I was lookin at the
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Test Bench and LAN Box
but seems it has just enough room for an atx board, most reviews I read state this fact :( . But this seems to be the one I am leaning to "settle" for.
And the Cooler Master Core 9 is just too much. That looks like it needs like 1 million fans. Its justa hair too big.
The Aerocool DS looked nice at first then I started reading the reviews. Nope.
Lian Li has a few realy nice boxes but considering I only have around 200. to drop on a case the ones they have that I like are well over that price tage and idk about how quiet they would be. I know they did not consider dbs into the making of it.
The Carbide series from Corsair seem nice but they all have realy mixed reviews and (and I know how this sounds but) call me old school but I just do not liek the idea of my dvd rom being sidewase liek that plus after a long evening of gaming and a few drinks I see that is just an obsticle to double vision. But it does have the usb and mic/speaker jacks up front. So idk

Feel like I am over thinking this too much but it matters. lol Thanks to anyone that got this far reading me.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Look at the Thermaltake Core X9 That's quite a few hairs wider!:awe:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
For the most part I like my HAF EVO XB. Only two complaints were early failure of the HD backplane and having to mod the front panel to fit 140mm fans on the front.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Well, I just recently built 4 rigs with the Carbide Air 540, and I absolutely love it. After I built the first one for a client, I was amazed at how much room there is inside and how configurable they are. I then offered them to 2 other clients looking for larger-size cases & they agreed. And since I was looking to build a new rig for my personal use, I got one for me too.

It will accept every size mobo from m-itx thru e-ATX with GOBS of room inside to spare. All of these machines have upper-middle to high-end components w/ 4-6 fans + AIO coolers. By this I mean Haswell & Devils Canyon K series overclocked cpus, 2-3 Radeon 290x or GTX980 GPU's, 16-32 GB of Gskill 2133-2400mhz ram, 750-1200w psu's, and Z97/X99 mobos.... I even put a Xeon in one just for fun & because I've never used one of them before :)

All of these machines average 22-28c at idle and 45-65c under full loads like gaming, CAD and Video encoding in various combinations....

So what if the optical drive is sideways.... You could always get an external, velcro it to the top of the case, dremel out a small slot for the cables down to the mobo and be happy :D

ps...since they came out with the smaller cousin 240 version, I will probably try it for an itx build soon ....

Karl775

Apr 15, 2015
If your looking for a case with loads of room try this, Magnum STH10 from case labs. It's huge, you could fit 4 rads easy with fans, there's more room in the case then a 1 bedroom apartment. Lol take a look on YouTube.