My Kids want me to Text, but I like my flip phone....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Analog, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Analog

Analog Lifer

I've got an older Samsung flip phone (Verizon). Its thin, small and the battery lasts a long time. Now that I can get yet another new phone, everything out there seems so large and thick.

Is there a comparable keyboard retracting type phone that is as small as my flip?

No I don't need a touch screen or any of that junk.:eek:

#1 Analog, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Texashiker

Texashiker Lifer

People send me text all the time, but I never reply.

I never figured out how to text on a flip phone, nor do I want to.

3. highland145

highland145 Lifer

Let then text you and you call them back.:D

I'll be in the same boat soon enough. LG flip phone and a "growing up" kid.

4. BornStar

BornStar Diamond Member

My mom texts on a flip phone, I think she did on her last one, too. If she can figure it out, anyone can.

5. purbeast0

purbeast0 Lifer

i had a samsung gleam flip phone the past 4 or so years. battery life on it rocked.

i got the verizon iphone a couple weeks ago when they let preorders go for it.

when i got it i put it side by side to my flip phone. when lying flat it is noticably thinner than the flip phone is, and the length/width dimensions are not much larger than the flip phone either.

but regardless of a smartphone, you can still text w/flip phones just fine. may take a little longer, but it's doable.

6. rcpratt

rcpratt Lifer

It's so easy to text on flip phones. Jeez.

7. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Yep, just takes a little adjustment and adaptation. I'd still prefer a full QWERTY, but I used to text on my old LG Chocolate. It was a PITA, but it was doable. When I moved up to the Env2 and then to my Droid, my texting expanded 10 fold. :p

Wish I could convince more people to use Gtalk or Beluga though, SMS is kinda limited compared to the feature filled IM clients. And expensive in comparison.

8. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

You can text on any phone. If you can work a computer and get on here, then you can text. Quit being a stubborn old man and do it already

9. dpodblood

dpodblood Diamond Member

Why is it so hard to text on a flip phone? I used to have a flip phone and had no problem texting using the T9 keyboard. Actually I could probably text faster using the T9 than the touchscreen on my current phone.

#9 dpodblood, Feb 22, 2011
  10. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

I never had a problem texting on flip-phones. My first four phones only had the number pad keys, I texted just fine.

If you want to make multiple texts per day, and essentially write email-length texts, yes it is a pain. But I could text efficiently using both T9 and the standard letter system (tap each number multiple times for some characters).

And my mom has learned how to text in the last year or two, and does so using a standard flip phone.

As was stated by another poster, if our moms can figure our texting with flip-phones, I don't see the huge issue. And like I said, I thoroughly remember texting on flip-phones.

But with that said, I don't know if there are any great flip-style phones with keyboards anymore. I know their used to be a few out there, the Samsung Alias, that was a flip-phone but could also flip horizontal and the keys turned into a QWERTY pad (e-ink keys).
    My buddy had that phone and loved it.

I couldn't find it on Verizon's site, but phonearena has not updated by saying the phone is discontinued. Samsung Alias 2.

that's about your last hope if you still demand a feature-phone without a touchscreen. There are quite a few featurephones with QWERTY, but they have touchscreens, and tend to be sliders or horizontal clamshells (those might be dead now too, hmm...).

11. 1sikbITCH

1sikbITCH Diamond Member

Analog the The Samsung Alias would have been exactly what you are looking for. A flip phone that also opens sideways for easy texting. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9687288-1.html

I've been past my upgrade date for a long time but I'll never change phones until it's dead.

Edit - just as destrekor said :)

12. JTsyo

JTsyo Lifer

I have a flip phone and I text on my computer with Google Voice :awe:

13. Malak

Malak Lifer

I believe there is a blackberry flip phone with full keyboard.

14. Squisher

Squisher Lifer

Yeah, I can't text without a qwerty keyboard. I had to give up my Samsung flip phone for a Samsung Intensity. The only problem I had is that I keep my cell in my pocket along with my cash and with this phone I had to give up my money clip to keep from scratching the phone.

[​IMG]

15. DesiPower

DesiPower Lifer

Just wait for iPhone nano or Nokia 888

But on a serious note, I am just like OP, I like small and thin and lite with battery lasting 4eva. Smartphones are not for me, they are simply too big.

#15 DesiPower, Feb 22, 2011
  16. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Tell your kids when they make the money they can make the rules.
    Also, I like the Nokia E71 myself. The 72 and 73 are out, on different services.

17. eits

eits Lifer

stop being such a geezer.

18. Analog

Analog Lifer

so far:

Motorola Rambler:

[​IMG]

blackberry oxford:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Escapade 8990