My IE homepage is stuck @ http://www.searchdot.net/... how do i fix it?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I've tried to change the homepage to somewhere else, also set it to blank...

ran ad-aware several times..(with the updates)..

but every time i reboot the computer and open IE, it goes to http://www.searchdot.net/...

how do i fix this?

IMPORTANT- I didnt link it since I dont want you guys to have same problem...

any idea?

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Tools > Internet Options

OH YOU ARE SO SMART!!
rolleye.gif

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Search for searchdot.net in the registry; see if there are some settings that need to be changed. Try running spybot as well.

Rob

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
go to download.com and do a search for ad aware, download it, install and run, it will remove all spy/ad-ware from you pc, plus its free!

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: blazert40
go to download.com and do a search for ad aware, download it, install and run, it will remove all spy/ad-ware from you pc, plus its free!

were you sent here by AgaBooga ?
rolleye.gif

Entity, i installed spybot and it got about 5 more registry strings and deleted them, restarted.. computer...

crossed my finger... argg but its still here... this is getting annoying.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
yuo = teh hax0r3d :p

Seriously, you have some type of virus or spyware (like there's a difference). What OS? XP? If so, run msconfig and check the start-up tag. Then run regedit and delete the offending registry start-up items. If that doesn't work, do a virus scan.

edit: if you're using 2k, ask someone with XP for the msconfig.exe from their Windows folder. It'll copy straight across and run.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Tools > Internet Options

do people just not read the body of messages anymore?

Soccer55

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2000
If you're on Windows 98, try running msconfig to see if something is running at startup. My mom's computer had a similar problem with xupiter.com and after disabling it through msconfig and deleting registry keys, her computer was back to normal.

-Tom

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
im beginning to think its a virus.

i checked out microsoft on this and it seems like it :( i use winxp pro btw.

hmmm im checking msconfig now and there are 3 things i dont recognize.

msoffice (but i dont have ms office) C:\windows\fonts\msoffice.hta (no file found and im checking.)

registry string is . HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run. and what do i see there?

deafault

ms offce C:\windows\fonts\msoffice.hta

steam

HMMMMMM... could this have gotten thru with steam?? (for cs update).. interesting.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Found this:

Hijack This! pointed out a file called "msoffice.hta", hidden in the Fonts directory. I searched for the file, and opened it directly from the search window with Text Editor. This revealed the "searchdot.net" hijack. Note: You won't see it if you open the Fonts directory, as it's specially configured to only show font files such as TTF.
I searched for msoffice.hta in the REGEDIT, and removed it. (It came up as a start-up file.) I also deleted the file from my computer.

This fixed it!

Hope it helps.

Edit: I lost by a minute :(

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

Tools > Internet Options

do people just not read the body of messages anymore?

citrix joins the party

anyway.. after deleting those things & changing registry, homepage is working properly now..

well ill use this the way it is for awhile but i guess ill pull the image back from ghost soon :) thanx ppl.

FiLeZz

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
you can always do a winxp rollback from before the time of having the issue..