my ibm 60gxp 40gb just died...

$pade

Oct 9, 1999
Booted it up this morning and all i hear is some clicking noise and it no longer is detected by the bios and obviously my comp won't boot anymore. If anybody knows what the most painless procedure is to replace it (special direct numbers i can call) then let me know. I am gonna try to contact hypermicro (store i bought it from) first and then ibm. It was fine up to today although i did notice a grinding sound whenever I booted the comp up in the morning starting about a week ago. Maybe the freezing temperature (less than 20 celcious in my room) affected it.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
boy am i sure glad a went with the cheaper Maxtor 40 Plus when i was buying back then. those 60GXP's were nothing but trouble.

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001

<< Name me one hard drive manufacturer that doesn't have hard drives crash >>

While all brands occasionally fail, it is quite obvious that the IBM 75GXP series had major problems. The 60GXP's appear to be starting to fail as well tho not as much as the 75's, at least yet.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I am starting to see more and more threads like this on the 60gxp...it is like deja vu with the 75gxps...

You don't by chance oc the fsb any do you???

I wonder if it is a quality issue like the one reported that the 75gxp's maufacted in like hungary were the main culprits.

Chesebert

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2001
same thing happened to mine 60gxp as well!

If you flip your drive over it will work again. If not..try to flip more :)

It worked for me..but I got too tired of this crap..cuz it will crap out once in a while..I just RMAed and sold whatever IBM send me

I think there is a baring problem with the 60GXP...NOT CONFIRMED

WHipLAsh13

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2001
The 60GXP failure rate is no higher than Maxtor or Wester Digital and is lower than Seagate. The only reason you see so many threads about the 60GXP is because the 75GXP's left such a bad taste and now people are only reporting their bad experiences with IBM. Bottom line is that the 60GXP's are the best hard drives on the market as far as speed and quietness go. Don't be mislead by their past misfortunes.

$pade

Oct 9, 1999
k, this is strange. I took the drive out, dusted it off a bit, warmed it up a bit with my hands and then plugged it back in and it works again. No clicking or grinding noise at the start and everything seems to be fine again. I immediately backed up my data and downloaded the drive fitness test and will run the advance test on it while I am off to fry's to find a replacement asap. I am expecting my ibm drive to explode anytime now and I will call ibm again to see what they will do about it after running the test. My concern though is that the test wont find any errors eventhough there obviously is one. I really have a feeling that it has something to do with the cold temperature, because i only started hearing that grinding noise about a week or two ago in the morning when its relatively cold now in my room but never in the after noon when booting up my comp.

filmore crashcart

Dec 18, 1999
Jeezzzzz....... I don't know a hard drive that has not at one point been in the lime light as a "bad drive". I have a 60 gxp on an overclocked system for the last month and a half.... no problems. I bought it because I had a WD hard drive and, for awhile, they had the tilte of being the crappiest hard drive around. I decided I needed something to cover my rear since, after reading all the posts, I was certainly going to crash one day. Well, now I have a perfectly fine IBM 60 gxp and a perfectly fine WD and neither one of them are giving me problems. Of all the hard drives I've own, which have been Maxtor, Seagate, WD, and IBM, the Seagate is the only one that died on me. Sometimes for piece of mind, you just have to ignore these threads and only worry about it if and when it does happen.

$pade

Oct 9, 1999
bought it march 2001 so if anybodys 60gxp still works after half a year then they lucked out. Right now mine appears to work and the advance fitness test returned no errors but I have a feeling it will die again soon.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< The 60GXP failure rate is no higher than Maxtor or Wester Digital and is lower than Seagate. The only reason you see so many threads about the 60GXP is because the 75GXP's left such a bad taste and now people are only reporting their bad experiences with IBM. Bottom line is that the 60GXP's are the best hard drives on the market as far as speed and quietness go. Don't be mislead by their past misfortunes. >>

I agree.

spazntwich1

Banned
Apr 22, 2001
Ive got the IBM drive fitness test, but are there any other good utilities I can find that might report my hard drive dying soon?

My 60gxp makes strange noises when I boot up now. Sort of like a ghost crying. And then once I boot into win2k, when I double click on a folder to open it, it takes forever for it to open anything. It just waits for 20 seconds, as if nothing is happening, and then the window opens up.

*sigh* Good thing most of my stuff is already backed up.