My Hyper 212 EVO is way too loud now... How do I slow this fan down?

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
My fan is constantly running around 1800RPM at idle and low load, and I highly doubt that it really needs to run that fast. It's getting annoying. How can i make this thing run at reasonable idle speeds?

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
Sounds like you have the "smart" fan option in the BIOS turned off. It has a PWM fan so if you enable that (probably under the "PC Heath Status" category in the BIOS) there should be several settings for auto fan control. Usually its something like Turbo, Normal and Quiet.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sounds like you have the "smart" fan option in the BIOS turned off. It has a PWM fan so if you enable that (probably under the "PC Heath Status" category in the BIOS) there should be several settings for auto fan control. Usually its something like Turbo, Normal and Quiet.

I just have it on standard. None of the options look too great, since I do want it to ramp up under load. When it's under load, it goes up to 2300RPM, which I'm fine with.

EDIT: Maybe something here is telling of a potential issue?
1xHkOyD.png

Last edited:

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Some motherboards allow you to make your own fan profile. Sometimes the Windows software bundled with them allows it too. You could also make a fan controller.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
You should be able to use the Asrock Extreme Tuner in windows to alter the fan speed settings. It's not the most comprehensive program but you certainly can alter the target Fan Speed for the cpu and chassis fans.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Has it always ran at 1800rpms or is this a recent thing?

It was always loud-ish, though it's stood out to me more recently, likely due to me being concerned about my overclock (4.2GHz, stock voltage).

You should be able to use the Asrock Extreme Tuner in windows to alter the fan speed settings. It's not the most comprehensive program but you certainly can alter the target Fan Speed for the cpu and chassis fans.

Oh, thanks. That's much more useful than constantly restarting lol. I've already goptten it down to 1300RPM using the BIOS, and both noise and temps seem fine

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Did you install all of your motherboard software? If not, do that. That will give you, or should give you, fan control in windows.

Asus motherboards (which is what I use) always includes comprehensive programs for CPU fan profiles and chassis fan profiles. BIOS fan profiles suck because they're harder to manipulate on the fly, obviously - so I use Asus' AI Suite software which I generally like. But just go through your motherboard DVD and see if you can locate the applicable software; i'd assume that ASrock includes this with their boards.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Did you install all of your motherboard software? If not, do that. That will give you, or should give you, fan control in windows.

Asus motherboards (which is what I use) always includes comprehensive programs for CPU fan profiles and chassis fan profiles. BIOS fan profiles suck because they're harder to manipulate on the fly, obviously - so I use Asus' AI Suite software which I generally like. But just go through your motherboard DVD and see if you can locate the applicable software; i'd assume that ASrock includes this with their boards.

Hm... Okay. None of the downloads for the software mention specify my board, so I guess it's time to hunt down that DVD...

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I found it, installed it, and used it... and now HWMonitor can't detect my fan. That's a bit annoying.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Is it a PWM fan? It should be able to control the speed, and if not then get two 1200rpm 120mm fans instead of just 1 loud 1800rpm fan, that's what I did with my Hyper 212.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
Is it a PWM fan? It should be able to control the speed, and if not then get two 1200rpm 120mm fans instead of just 1 loud 1800rpm fan, that's what I did with my Hyper 212.

It's PWM, and I was able to change it. It's quiet now, but I'd just like to be able to actually see what RPM it's running at. :p

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Have you read the manual for you motherboard?
Go into mobo options and set the fan profile.
Not sure what options the asrock Z87s have but I think they have some precanned settings (custom, quiet or silent, standard and full speed)

Set it to quiet or silent
Idle rpm at those setting should be around 800rpm (should be very quiet) and will ramp up based on temp.

Otherwise just set up a custom profile or toss on an additional quiet fan.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
I found it, installed it, and used it... and now HWMonitor can't detect my fan. That's a bit annoying.

uninstall it. the Asrock xtreme tuning software isn't very good. Just go into the bios and do it the old fashion way. Under pc health is a fan section. Start with the "quiet" profile and bump the CPU target temp up to around 60c

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Since everyone is questioning this, how would i know if it's on the PWM setting? I know that it's in the correct header.
The setting is in the BIOS, usually under "PC Health Status" or some-such.

There's usually a choice to control the CPU fan header via voltage or PWM.

Towermax

Mar 19, 2006
Seconded.

Also a better, quieter fan would be a good option. The Cougar PWM model is on sale for $9 @ Newegg till the end of the day.

Thirded.

I've got a 212+ and a 212 EVO--replaced the fans on both of them with Gelid Silent fans and control them with Speedfan. All is quiet.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Thirded.

I've got a 212+ and a 212 EVO--replaced the fans on both of them with Gelid Silent fans and control them with Speedfan. All is quiet.

The fan on the Evo is quite good and not that loud in my opinion. Then again I always run it with 2 fans so that they can both move more slowly.

Also check to make sure you didnt get any dust in the cracks as the fan starts to speed up and the immediate air resistance makes it louder too