My house was broken into yesterday, any security system suggetions?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nevo

Banned
May 28, 2001

<< my take on the above:

Police really dont care about your breakin, they see you as being lame for being a victim, tho if they stumble across your stuff, they will give it back to you.
>>

I don't buy into this.

The sad fact is, there's very little the police can do without any hard evidence, and the reality is that there are probably much more serious crimes in the city that are vying for the attention of the same cops.

I would urge you to check into the legality of recording devices. I'm completely ignorant about this, but there are some pretty strange laws in the United States. And get that advice from a lawyer, not an AT member.

If you do go with the security cameras, you can get time lapse VCRs that will record 24 hours on a single tape. Some of 'em will even accept inputs from 4 cameras and capture four simultaneous quarter-screen pictures. I've seen 'em for $500-ish in the Dallas area. (Electronic Discout Sales on Belt Line in Irving.)

EDIT: I did a Yahoo search on 'time lapse VCR' and found this. I'm sure there are other places, too.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
the guy who said the thief won't come back is very ignorant... thieves came back to my place @ least 3 times... put up burglar bars strengthened the door and locks put up video cameras...they havn't come back in, although I think they tried once more through a window... the bars stopped them...surviellance cameras are cheap now... try mcmelectronics.com...its where I got mine...hooks up easily to a vcr or a time lapse vcr... also got a Asus V7700 deluxe video card... has video in w/ a security proggy that will call whatever phone # you want w/ an alert... will also email any address w/ a pix of the alert zone you pick when it is invaded as well as record the movement onto your hard drive... a very noisy alarm w/ good neighbors is a good thing also...just make sure you have motion detectors and glass breakage sensors in the system...good luck and protect yourself as soon as possible the lowlife will most assuredly return...

JoPalm

Dec 29, 2000
Dogs probably the best. An alarm system just sounds the police and the siren..doesn't help on the spot now does it?

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999

<< Dogs probably the best. An alarm system just sounds the police and the siren..doesn't help on the spot now does it? >>

it does if you have neighbors around to hear it go off...

Quad

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2000
i live in canada, and there's a company called alarmforce that offers 2-way voice communication. so when the alarm goes off, an operator from their headquarters starts talking to the burgler and says stuff like &quot;the cops are coming, identify yourself etc.&quot;

it's completely live. so that kinda helps on the spot. see if that's available in your area

TaylorD

Diamond Member
May 13, 2000

<< I was speaking with an ADT rep recently. He was explaining that burglers are now getting more brazin and getting into homes with security systems. They will run through a bunch of garage door opener codes until they hit the one that opens your garage door. Then, if you have attic access in the garage, they will climb up and make their way to the master bedroom and then break through the ceiling. Grab some valuables and leave back through the attic never tripping any window or door sensors.

I have not yet purchased a security system but have just been looking around. This story of using the attic entry seems a little fishy but I guess it is possible. Assuming they have a ladder to get back into the attic from the bedroom. Just something to think about.
>>

I am glad to see that ADT is letting everyone in on a way to beat their systems.... hmmm... then a few years down the line they can introduce a new system that will be able to detect this attic/garage entry plan and they can charge people for the new equipment. Ingenious marketing ADT... Bravo.

Anyway, a security system is a good idea, although, it would have been a better idea before you were robbed :(.
  • Other options:
  • Big, Badass dog
  • &quot;Tresspassers will be shot&quot; Sign
  • Dummy security cameras and bogus ADT stickers
  • Perhaps a moat with alligators?

Personally, I have a 90 some-odd pound lean mean killing machine dog with huge teeth and a nasty growl. :D

astros67

May 14, 2001
my house is so damn easy to break into. i think i did it 3 times. if the window was opened i just pushed the screen a little. no noise or breakage. my sliding glass door to my patio is easy. a bar goes across, all i have to do is bang on the door for about 1 min and its open. then i pull to open the door and it opens. there a 2 locks that keep it to the wall. u should find places that could be possible places to be broken in to. my friends house is a damn fortress. they have motion sensors in every room, sensors on every window and door, and they have over 10 guns in the house [ the glock and 12gauge are my favorites], and they have an english mastif like the dog in sandlot. he has the biggest house in town and i guarantee no one would fvck with that house.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the old Creative web cam has a security program that supports &quot;time lapse&quot; recording. I had one for a while but never played with that program. Hide it somewhere and connect it to a hidden computer.

And, yes you can buy just the ADT stickers. My house is &quot;Protected by ADT&quot;... Stickers ;) (and 2 dogs)

Urinal Mint

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2000
Hire a Mexican to sit in the house with a 12 gauge sawed-off shotgun all day.

The password is &quot;Cinco de Mayo&quot;

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< I think the old Creative web cam has a security program that supports &quot;time lapse&quot; recording. I had one for a while but never played with that program. Hide it somewhere and connect it to a hidden computer.

And, yes you can buy just the ADT stickers. My house is &quot;Protected by ADT&quot;... Stickers ;) (and 2 dogs)
>>

Yes, I was thinking of putting it on a hidden computer. I will check into some type of cam.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Daveman

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Yeah they might come back!

Doors are VERY easy to knock down. I kicked in our front door when I was a kid and didn't even want to kick it it down; I was merely knocking hard with my feet and the frame collapsed and it was a new house.

Get a cellular alarm system (any good one doesn't rely only on phone line). Although cops may take a few min and a person can get a jewellry box getting tvs and computers into a pickup and leaving the area as cops are coming is much trickier.

Don't use a computer webcam for reasons mentioned here. I have one but would never trust it as a real security device; get a standalone thing specifically for this. I would guess an ideal spot would be on your stairs going upstairs to intercept all people going up the stairs.

Also that CD idea of playing friends talking is good :)

HowardStern

Banned
Jun 28, 2001
First off, I live in a lessor part of town. I don't worry about getting broken into because I think burglars hae enough sense to go places where people have money. But my #1 recommendation is to booby trap the house. Try some land mines in the appropriate places.

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< But my #1 recommendation is to booby trap the house. Try some land mines in the appropriate places. >>

I would do something like that but with my luck I would trip the trap myself. Or worse my wife or kid.

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
I've been considering a computerized system, but since I'm both underage and not the owner of the house/apartment, I can't put my idea into practice. This idea works with no pets in the house, and goes like this:

The core of the system is a computer, or more specifically a computer program. It has access to a phoneline (hear me out on this one), and some external sensors. On leaving the house, the person has to press a button near the door (on the inside), and the computer keeps count of how many (authorized) people are still in the house. As long the computer thinks that authorized people are still in the house, no action will be taken. Upon re-entering the house, the person has to disactivate the alarm system (either via a hidden button, numeric code entry panel, etc) hence authorizing his entry and preventing him/her from setting off the alarm.

Next requires a bunch of sensitive motion sensors placed (hidden) near valuables in the house. When a motion sensor is set off, it tells the computer, which dials up a phone number of the user's choice (cell, beeper, etc), so the owner knows, and also *maybe* the police. Also triggered is the release of sleeping (or, poisonous, if legal) gas throughout the house, to stop the thief, until the owner dials into the computer to stop the gas.

Eh?

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
instead of poisonous gas, its more legal to release tear gas. better yet..raise some killer pit bulls. the jaws on those guys can tear a limb off.

the problem with this ultrasecure system is the phone line and the power lines. a snip snip on either one of those and your system goes down the toilet.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001

<< I was speaking with an ADT rep recently. He was explaining that burglers are now getting more brazin and getting into homes with security systems. They will run through a bunch of garage door opener codes until they hit the one that opens your garage door. Then, if you have attic access in the garage, they will climb up and make their way to the master bedroom and then break through the ceiling. Grab some valuables and leave back through the attic never tripping any window or door sensors.

I have not yet purchased a security system but have just been looking around. This story of using the attic entry seems a little fishy but I guess it is possible. Assuming they have a ladder to get back into the attic from the bedroom. Just something to think about.
>>

That's also a great line to get you to buy motion sensors. If it's happenend, he should be able to show you some articles (stories in the local paper, police reports, etc.) that prove it...

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
A big dog is a good start. Even if you don't have a yard, you can keep a dog in the house &amp; take him out for walks. Lots of folks living in the city have to do it this way.

Yes, a 'professional' could still take him out, but if you're dealing with neighborhood punk kids (that the dog has probably already met and doesn't like anyway), it's a good first-level deterrent.

Sorry to hear that you kept $4-6K worth of jewelry out laying around, but that's a good justification for buying a safe. Spend $1-2K on the biggest safe you can get your hands on. You can buy a 60x30x24&quot; safe with a fire lining for about $1500, it'll weigh about 700lbs and can be bolted to the floor from the inside. Unless it's opened and unbolted, you won't be able to move it without wrapping a chain or cable around a tow vehicle outside, and this sort of thing will get the attention of your neighbors unless you really live out in the sticks. Blowing or torching the lock takes more than it's worth for the average residential collection of cash, guns, or jewels stored on premises. If you really have something to protect get a safe deposit box at a bank.

Security systems are OK, just keep in mind the 5-10 minute delay for a response, so if it's just a smash &amp; grab you're not going to catch them. The suggestions for a camera are good, and would at least give the police something to work with, especially if it's a repeat break-in for the area.

There are no guarantees, the best you can hope for is to make it more trouble than it is worth for what the burglar thinks is in the house.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I'd like to see a theif try and cut the power line to a house. The smell of burnt flesh would probably make going outside an unpleasent thing to do.

WiseOne

Jan 16, 2000
What about the solman shield? seen more then enough commercials about it, anyone know what/how is it?

LintBalll

Jun 17, 2001
I've got a DIY system from Honeywell. It is discontinued, but they're still available on eBay for about $100 or less. here's a closed auction (not mine...I don't sell these) Very nice system with voice response (speaks out all commands), it is wireless (door/window sensors are radio frequency), X-10 compatible (controls lights with timers when you're away and flashes all lights when triggered), very easy to install, and it will phone two numbers and speak a message when triggered (calls my cell phone).

No monitoring charge as it's not monitored. But it is very effective. We had a breakin last year and this thing called my cell phone and I in turn called my neighbor. The thugs were scared off by the alarm, and I was immediately notified and called my neighbor who was home. Depending on your situation, this non-monitored solution MAY or MAY NOT be the best for you. Works for me, as I'm in usually in town and usually have neighbors home.

Like I said, this Honeywell is X-10 compatible so you can use all the neat light and appliance switches in conjunction with it.

And it is secure, stable, almost industrial strength. Never had a false alarm with it, either.

HowardStern

Banned
Jun 28, 2001

<< the problem with this ultrasecure system is the phone line and the power lines. a snip snip on either one of those and your system goes down the toilet. >>

Hence the land mine suggestion....

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
We decided to go with a system from CPI we also looked at ADT. My wife liked the real time response thing with CPI better and they did have a more impressive presentation and better price. About the phone line thing they said it is ok to move the phone box inside the house and leave a dummy one outside. They only drawback to that is when you need service you have to be there to let the phone guy in. I guess thats a small price to pay. Anyway they are going to install it Saturday.
I still may install a couple of cameras around the house.
Thanks for everyones suggestions and help.
Dave

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000

<< instead of poisonous gas, its more legal to release tear gas. better yet..raise some killer pit bulls. the jaws on those guys can tear a limb off.

the problem with this ultrasecure system is the phone line and the power lines. a snip snip on either one of those and your system goes down the toilet.
>>

The power lines yes, the phone lines no. The phone lines aren't required for the gas to go off, but I suppose it would be required to let the police and owner know about the robbery in progress. Which is why sleeping gas would work better than tear gas, since a person can still escape under the effects of tear gas.

Then again, if a robber breaks in, you are allowed to kill him/her in defense of your property, so I say poison all the way :)