My house was broken into yesterday, any security system suggetions?

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
While me and my wife were at work yesterday someone broke our door down and stole my wife's jewerly box. I figure it had about $4,000 to $6,000 worth in it. My wife doesn't want to stay in the house until we get a security system. Anyone have any suggestions....
Thanks in advance

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001
I don't have much land for a dog. ADT is in my area. Do you have good service from them.

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< You went to the authorities right? >>

Yes, I called the police and they came to write a report. They said they would check the pawn shops. But I'm not holding my breath on anything to come out of that.

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
do you live in a residential area? usually if someone robs a house, they dont plan on hitting just one... I would make sure those cops are keeping a lookout in your neighborhood...

No luck with fingerprints?

Damn, they just wrote a report? When my house was broken into, they freakin roped up my house... called in like three investigators... it looked like my house got shot up or something.... people from the neighborhood were walking by going, &quot;this isnt as bad as it looks is it?&quot;... my dad wanted me to lay in the driveway so he could sketch me in chalk, you know, just to add effect :)

btw, the people who robbed my house got their sentencing a couple weeks ago... they are under age, so they got 5 years probation :):):):)

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Police are useless, especially in this situation. I respect what they do, but in a &quot;simple home robbery&quot; you're lucky they came to write a report. I'm hoping that you had homeowner's insurance or a policy rider on the jewelery?

All they took was the jewelery box? It was prolly someone or setup by someone who has been in your home and knew about her jewelery collection. TSk, this is why I don't have many people over my house. I have lots of guy &quot;acquantainces&quot; (diff b/t acq's and friends) half of them I've only hung out with a handful of times. THey don't need to know what I have in my home or even where I live.

NE way, ADT is an excellent suggestion. It is a big deterrent when a burglar sees those ADT stickers all over the windows. Easier to move on to a &quot;non-problem&quot; house. Good luck to you.

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< do you live in a residential area? usually if someone robs a house, they dont plan on hitting just one... I would make sure those cops are keeping a lookout in your neighborhood...

No luck with fingerprints?
>>

yes its a residential area. I called my next door neighbor to let him know. I really don't know anyone else in the neighborhood.

The cop didn't check for fingerprints.
I think it must have been just one person because all they took was the jewerly box. There was even an envelope with cash laying beside it that they didn't touch.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
That happened to my parents. It's the worst feeling in the world -- you feel so violated. They now use Brinks Security Systems (I think).

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
if i were you, i would have asked to have an investigator brought to the house...

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< if i were you, i would have asked to have an investigator brought to the house... >>

thats a good suggestion. the cop said he would turn it over to an investigator, I'll call to see what he can do.

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< security by Rottweiller is usually pretty effective >>

I agree that is the best security system. I don't have alot of land so I don't want to have to keep a dog chained or pinned up.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Forget the security system and just get some &quot;Protected by ADT&quot; stickers. :D

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Some of the best security systems are silent alarms that notify the local police. The high initial cost is justified by not having to pay a monitering agency. Most of the monitering agencies send some sub-cop out to investigate, where the police will send a REAL squadcar, maybe more then one. Check the yellow pages, many people make their living installing very good security systems that cannot be defeated. Note that many police departments now charge for false alarms, so keep that in mind.

Infidelity

Banned
Apr 16, 2001
You need a small dog that barks loud ;) Sorry I know your not in any laughing state but trust me it works, even though I have slomons shield installed also.

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
I was speaking with an ADT rep recently. He was explaining that burglers are now getting more brazin and getting into homes with security systems. They will run through a bunch of garage door opener codes until they hit the one that opens your garage door. Then, if you have attic access in the garage, they will climb up and make their way to the master bedroom and then break through the ceiling. Grab some valuables and leave back through the attic never tripping any window or door sensors.

I have not yet purchased a security system but have just been looking around. This story of using the attic entry seems a little fishy but I guess it is possible. Assuming they have a ladder to get back into the attic from the bedroom. Just something to think about.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Make sure you do something. Odds are pretty good that they will try your house again in a few weeks. Many people get robbed twice, the second time after they buy new stuff with the insurance money. Or perhaps the robbers saw a nice stereo, TV or stereo that they didn't have time for first time around.

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< Make sure you do something. Odds are pretty good that they will try your house again in a few weeks. Many people get robbed twice, the second time after they buy new stuff with the insurance money. Or perhaps the robbers saw a nice stereo, TV or stereo that they didn't have time for first time around. >>

yea, they passed over 2 pc's, 2 tv's, stereo, 2 vcr's, cameras, all kinds of stuff was there for the taking. I wish they would have taken my son's pc. lol

HowardStern

Banned
Jun 28, 2001
Watch the movie Death Wish 3, and besides making you feel better, it might give you some ideas of how to deal with people who break into your house.
What's that? ---- Teeth..

daveman

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2001

<< Watch the movie Death Wish 3, and besides making you feel better, it might give you some ideas of how to deal with people who break into your house.
What's that? ---- Teeth..
>>

lol, I'll be keeping my shotgun loaded beside the bed for a while.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
That &quot;attic entry&quot; thing caught my eye. My last apartment was on the second floor, and had an attic entry in the closet. In the breezeway, right outside my front door, was the attic entry to get up there into the rafter/roof area! From there, you could go into any one of the four apts on the second floor. This problem is easily solved with four small deadbolts mounted on the inside, on the attic entry door. You can't lift the door out from up in the attic w/the bolts on it.

I'd be very leery of a second breakin. They left way too much stuff. Good luck. Shoot on sight. ;)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

<< I was speaking with an ADT rep recently. He was explaining that burglers are now getting more brazin and getting into homes with security systems. They will run through a bunch of garage door opener codes until they hit the one that opens your garage door. Then, if you have attic access in the garage, they will climb up and make their way to the master bedroom and then break through the ceiling. Grab some valuables and leave back through the attic never tripping any window or door sensors. >>

ADT provides motion sensors too. I only have one, in my living room where most of my stealable stuff is, but many people have multiple. Motion sensors can be tripped by dogs, etc, but they're built not to. And you can set up the system so that the door and window sensors only are active, with the motion sensors off. This is in case you want the security system on when you're home.

Oh yeah, get a system with wireless fobs. Turn it on and off remotely without having to worry about stoopid codes all the time.

Also, are your phone lines exposed? If so, something like Chubb or ADT is useless stock. They just cut the phone lines - problem solved. In that case you might be advised going for a system with a cellular backup.