My Honda didn't spin out like the 6 SUVs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
w0000t for HONDA

(I know the brand of car has little to do with this story):D

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: TubStain
OK, I have a 12 hour drive from Michigan to Boston tonight, so I'm slightly paranoid now. So what should I do if I see a patch of ice? just go through it and not brake?

Is postponing the trip an option? :p

- M4H

Sadly no! My gf and I have planned our busy schedules and this weekend is the only one we cant meet. Man, night driving with ice is not going to be fun. Good thing I have Sirius satellite radio, or I'd go crazy.

RH71: Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out for spinning vehicles ahead :D

Jan 31, 2002
OK, I have a 12 hour drive from Michigan to Boston tonight, so I'm slightly paranoid now. So what should I do if I see a patch of ice? just go through it and not brake?

- M4H

Sadly no! My gf and I have planned our busy schedules and this weekend is the only one we cant meet. Man, night driving with ice is not going to be fun. Good thing I have Sirius satellite radio, or I'd go crazy.

Ouch. Well, all I can say is be really careful ... especially that "night driving on ice" bit. She'd rather have you arrive late than not at all. Just drive like you're 60 years old. :p

- M4H

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I live in the NYC area and I stayed home.
I drove into work during the snow\ice storm we had before the holidays. In one small stretch of the Merritt, I saw five SUVs had left the road. Three of them had hit trees. Three cars had spun out and had front and rear damage.

TubStain

Apr 19, 2001

- M4H

Ouch. Well, all I can say is be really careful ... especially that "night driving on ice" bit. She'd rather have you arrive late than not at all. Just drive like you're 60 years old. :p

- M4H

Yup, will probably be toppping off at 60mph, and slowing down considerably if there are no cars around.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Who cares?
rolleye.gif

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
They were probably all driving way too closely given the road conditions.

I still say tailgating (or not keeping the proper distance) is the #1 cause of accidents.

Stupid lemmings.

Give 'em a break, they were Americans. As soon as there's more than an inch of snow, they all panic and break out the chains. ;)

- M4H

People from the SOUTH in the US do that. I'm well acquainted with winter driving, thank you. And never had chains on my cars. :D

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Hubris
Yeah, I had to drive this morning in the mess that was out there (I'm in RI), and it amazes me how some people drive, thinking they're invincible with 4WD. I was driving like a little old lady, as I've learned you have to.

EXACTLY - you get these housewives (sorry for the stereotyping) who drive these monster 4WD SUVs that are extremely heavy, but they think that 4WD is gunna save their a$$ in slippery conditions. Money would be better spent learning how to actually drive.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001

NE Ohio is getting pounded pretty good, so is PA. The turnpike should be clear going thru NY.

I've made that trip from Cleveland about 30 times and never had a problem.

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003
I got cut off by some dumb bitch in a Suburban about five minutes ago. Just about ate some snowbank - better that than bumper.

Anyone know where I can get a horn upgrade for a Civic? Preferably to a big diesel-truck style air horn? :p

- M4H

Here you go :D Air Horns

midwestfisherman

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2003

Driving on Ice

I would highly recommend having an Emergency Weather Kit in you vehicle. Keep it slow and steady and take frequent breaks to get out and stretch. Driving in this type of weather is extremely stressful and the breaks will help relieve that.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bret
you need a sexy car like a subaru WRX, there AWD and 4085 LBS. side and front air bag :)
3085 lbs.

Any car is only as good as its driver. If the idiot is gonna panic and slam the brakes on a little patch of ice, no SUV, 4WD, AWD, or ABS can save him.

And the principle differences between AWD and 4WD is that AWD generally is full-time and cannot be switched off, and that AWD generally has a center differential with varies torque and rpm output to the front and rear tires (think of it as a sophisticated limited slip center diff). 4WD has a transfer case which, when engaged in 4WD mode, locks the front and rear in at the same torque and rpm output (this is why 4WD tends to "hop" around low-speed tight corners).

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
They were probably all driving way too closely given the road conditions.

I still say tailgating (or not keeping the proper distance) is the #1 cause of accidents.

Stupid lemmings.

Give 'em a break, they were Americans. As soon as there's more than an inch of snow, they all panic and break out the chains. ;)

- M4H

I resent that, I, as an American, fully love driving in the snow.

Bill

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
It slays me to see idiots in four wheel drive rigs driving like, well, IDIOTS.

I see this all the time. They think because they have 4 wheel drive they can drive any way they want.

I leave them sitting in the ditch as I go on my merry way in my old VW. :)

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I saw an Audi A4 2.8 Quattro spin out while all Explorers, Envoys, RX300s blew by it.

Take that Audi! ;)

jsbush

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
It's all about the driver, not the car. You can have a feather with teflon coated wheels and still have all the traction in the world provided YOU know how to handle your car in thees situations.

You did the right thing. The others - well, they fell victim to the "I'm in a SUV so I'm invincible" trap as usual.

Maybe not. Maybe one person breaked forcing the others do to the same to avoid the a collision

Whats up with all the damn SUV bashing, "I'm in a SUV so I'm invincible". Not everone thinks that.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

So someone drives an SUV, BIG DEAL!!! GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!

<--------- Drives a Civic.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I love my little Honda Prelude at times in this weather. Standard, FWD, and quite fun to go slaloming around corners -- when there's no traffic to worry about. Scares the hell out of my passenger when I do that, though :D

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
People seem to think they need an expensive SUV to get around in the snow. I'd be afraid to drive one in the snow, that high center of gravity would not make me feel comfortable.
My car has ABS and traction control. While I don't have Blizzaks on my car, the Potenza RE950's seem to be doing pretty good in the snow.
I'll take a car with ABS, traction control, and good tires over ANY suv.

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jsbush

Whats up with all the damn SUV bashing, "I'm in a SUV so I'm invincible". Not everone thinks that.
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Unfortunately, thats the spin the auto manufacturers put in their advertising, and a LOT of people buy into that crap.