my home theater "build" log

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
it shoudl be OK, but i dont know how loud it is when its actually powering something

also if your PJ is closer it may not matter as PJ cooling fans are not exactly silent

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
it shoudl be OK, but i dont know how loud it is when its actually powering something

also if your PJ is closer it may not matter as PJ cooling fans are not exactly silent

my projector is about 2-3 feet behind where i sit above my head in the middle of the seating area, and i couldn't hear that when watching a movie the other day. i could hear the ps3 over it though. but again, only in like 2-3 scenes when the movie was dead silent.

i just google mapped out how far thornton PA is from me and its about 120 miles pretty much on i95 the whole time, so probably like an hour and 45 minutes or so. there is a slight slight chance i may come up there and pick up those caps. gorilla isn't budging at all on his price :p

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
holy moly that is a lot of driving in one day, i hope you are at least staying the night there! i pm'ed him to see how late it is going to go until. the closer i get to the date the closer i want to go drive up there and get those heh. just seems like an incredible deal.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
the EP4k can get pretty loud

You'll still hear it in quiet scenes in movies depending on how close you sit to them. Not every movie is non-stop action and explosions.
Meh... I sit 9.5' from my screen. An Xbox360 is in close proximity to it and I have to strain to hear the loud-assed fan in that device during any movie.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh i was looking at building a Fixed fram for a 78" screen to cut cost

ah, i just realized you are the same guy over on AVS posting about the projector that i replied to in the thread :)

i knew your name looked familiar hah.

but yea, if you have the time/resources to do a DIY then i'd say go for it.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
the problem is your budget is too low to find a "good" projector. it may sound harsh but that is just the reality unfortunately. but it also depends on your definition of good :)

i really want HD at least 720p

Did you see my new post

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i really want HD at least 720p

Did you see my new post

yea i saw it, i don't know much about projectors though in general as this is my first one. i'd go ask in the sub $3k forum if i were you and just tell people your budget and what you are looking for, and people will recommend stuff for you for sure. that forum is really helpful/

Anubis so it looks like he is selling me those caps. as of now i'm planning on coming up on saturday and plan on leaving around noon or so and hopefully won't be too hungover from tomorrow night.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
awesome, you wont be disappointed with them. also i hope you have a big car, they aren't small

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yea i was just telling him what car i have and he has the sedan version of it and said he is pretty certain they won't fit in it lol.

so i called my mom and she said i could borrow her crv for the day so i should be fine. gonna try to leave by noon though so hope to be up there by like 2-3 or so. i definitely want to hear how they sound before i hand him cash lol, but i'm 99.9% sure i'm walking out of there with them.

he said they are heavy as shit too, like 165lbs a piece.

i'm pretty sure these are going to be overkill for my setup lol but i'd rather have over than under.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yea but 2 people can easily move them. + he has a dolly

did popalock have both his LMS ultras running when you demoed his Klipsch setup? if not you are in for a real treat.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
he had just 1 sub working, not sure which one it was. just that 1 was fucking insane. god damn the more i think about it the more 2 subs is going to be way too much lol.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
he had just 1 sub working, not sure which one it was. just that 1 was fucking insane. god damn the more i think about it the more 2 subs is going to be way too much lol.

There is no such thing as too much sub :cool:

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
yea i saw it, i don't know much about projectors though in general as this is my first one. i'd go ask in the sub $3k forum if i were you and just tell people your budget and what you are looking for, and people will recommend stuff for you for sure. that forum is really helpful/

Anubis so it looks like he is selling me those caps. as of now i'm planning on coming up on saturday and plan on leaving around noon or so and hopefully won't be too hungover from tomorrow night.

Just gonna get this

ACER H5360 720P 1280x720 2500 ANSI Lumens NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready Home Theater DLP Projector
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009223

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

lol so only 1 then :D :D :D :D

There is no such thing as too much sub :cool:

HAHAHAHAHA truth

you wont have as much output running them off the ep4k as gorilla does off the CV5K or the Clone he now has but they will still pound, and no it wont be too much
last time i heard the dual LMS-Us they were amp limited, should be able to crank them with a working clone, also his DIY setup looks amazing simply based on the graph he posted yesterday in his build thread. Flat to 7Hz

Last edited: