My grandfather had a stroke last night

Apr 5, 2000
Didn't find out about it until this morning and more info after I got off work. My grandmother found him lying on the floor of the bathroom, called 911. This morning when she called she told my dad he'd be fine. My mother called my aunt who lives near them and found out that one of his blood vessels/veins burst, so he is now paralyzed on his right side for the rest of his life :(

You always hear about these things but never pay much attention to them until it happens/affects you or your family. I've always looked at my grandparents in a certain light that they were immune to this type of stuff. Wish this didn't happen to my grandfather. I guess if I have anything to be thankful for in this situation that he did not die.

I was curious if anyone else has had this happen to a relative, and what measures you took in order to accomodate him/her when she/he left the hospital. My grandmother is relatively old so we're afraid she may not be able to take care of him on a full time/permanent basis. So far the 2 options are to put him in a nursing home or hire full time help to take care of him. (Money is probably not much of an issue - 2 of my aunts are relatively wealthy who live near her so they will probably foot the bills) Just wanted to know which option if either is the one you guys took and how it is working out for you.

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
My grandmother and great grandmother were sitting on a park bench when this guy ran up to them, ripped open his trenchcoat and flashed the both of them. My grandma had a stroke, and my greatgrandma had arthritis and couln't reach that far.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
:(

My Aunt had a mild stroke a few years back. Nothing like what happened to your grandfather though. If it were my grandpa, I would want him home. It really hurts seeing someone you love in a nursing home, my great aunt had to go to one of those when my great uncle died...she got alzheimers soon after, and died a few years later.

I wish I could help you mello, but there isnt much I can do besides off you an ear to listen and guarantee that you and your family will be in my prayers.

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Oh, BTW.... I've had to deal with a few REAL strokes in the family. It's just another stepping stone of life. Try and make them as comfortable as you can, because it is a long battle they will face, just being able to accept that they have just gone through a drastic change.

Apr 5, 2000
How did you guys deal with their care? There's plenty of family around where he lives, we really don't like the nursing home option like rude said but we don't know if we have the time to have a family member watching him 24/7

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
How did you guys deal with their care? There's plenty of family around where he lives, we really don't like the nursing home option like rude said but we don't know if we have the time to have a family member watching him 24/7

in-home nurse isnt an option?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
You and your family have my thoughts and prayers Angrymarshmello :(

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
My great grandma suffered a stroke a few years back, and my family faced a similar problem as the one your in now. Since she was fairly wealthy (back when her husband was alive, he had a little over 1 mil in his possession) my family hired an in-home nurse. That worked out very well, and of course we visited her whenever it was possible for the company. - - So I would suggest an in-home nurse?

And marsh, man I feel so bad for ya, it hurts to see a family member go through so much suffering and to have to go through such a drastic lifestyle change. The best thing you can do is just be there to listen and to talk, and to be 100% supportive and encouraging.

Atrail

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
My grandfather had polio to begin with and then had a stroke when he was 85. He wasn't totally paralyzed
but loss most of his functional control of his right side. He has confined to a wheel chair for the most part. I moved in with them after he got released from the hospital to help with taken care of their house and help my grandma with my taken care of him. (I lived with them while I went to high school). Medicare paid for Home Health Aides to come out and do rehab with him for several months to help build his strength. The doctor asks for this and they can continue coming as long as the patient is improving. It is a fulltime job to take care of someone in poor physical health. Eventually my grandpa got real sick and his body deteriorated to a point were he couldn't really recover. He had prostate cancer and several other ailments. My grandfather died this year at the age of 87.

Sorry to hear this has happened to your family. My heart goes out to your grandpa and to you n' your family.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Angrymarshmello
My mother died from a stroke.

It ain't easy to deal with whether they survive or not.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
sorry to hear that dude
be strong
go see him as soon as you can and cherish the time you can spend with im

AlmostFunny

Sep 2, 2003
Man that is very bad news indeed. Though i am in almost the exact same situation as you. My grandfather has caancer and is dieing. 3-6 mos. Luckly he was wealthy so what they are doing is they hired some live in help (nurses). Its working out very well. He is getting the best treatment he can considering. I think that if your family can afford it that would be the way to go. Nursing homes suck. IMO.
I wish well to you and your family. :(

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
If money isn't a problem, get in home care for him.

From a great deal of experience in the field, older patients do not like hospitals (or nursing homes). I can't begin to tell you how often I had to talk elderly patients into going to the hospital with me, even with life threatening conditions. They have a mindset that if they go to a hospital they will never leave, so they don't want to go obviously.

Try to treat him as normally as possible, because at that age he is already feeling insecure. Try your hardest to let him keep his dignity, that's the best you can do right now.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Lifer
my condolences, even though you've been a complete asshole to me.

Was there any point in adding that last bit?

Sorry about your gramps, mine dies last year of bowel cancer, life sometimes just isn't fair... :(

kag

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
www.boloxe.com
Sorry to hear about it either. My family has been going through the same thing for the last two years. My grandma had cancer but she died this summer... and in the meantime my grandpa had a stroke. He's having home care now. Luckily everyone in the family live within like 15 mins of driving.

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
Sorry to hear about that.

My grandma died 3 yrs ago this coming october. She had her first stroke in 1998. And she mostly recovered. But most people who have one stroke will have another and thats what happened to her. She had a total of 3 strokes, none of which killed her but left her totally dependent on other people. She didn't like having her own kids wait on her hand and foot so she purposely starved herself to death. It was REALLY sad :(