My GF's parents are the most horrible parents!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: blahblah99
I'm chinese, she's like 75% chinese 25% philipino.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she lived in the philiphines most of her childhood while her parents live in the US and that her parents didn't really watch her grow up.

THAT, and the fact that her mom had past history when she was around 20yr old. Both me and my GF can't figure out what the deal is with her mom, but what's FACT is that her oldest sister is 30 and her mom is 50 so that might have something to do with it.

Her Filipino heritage explains lot. I've been to P.I. many times and I've noticed the tremendous loyalty of children to their parents.
They tend to bend backward and will do anything for their parents, I guess it is a good trait to possess but parents will take advantage
of their children like your gf's case. Actually most of the asians children are as loyal to their parents as filipinos, it's their culture.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: dabuddha
just curious but are either one of you guys fobs? or both born in america or raised in america?

Excuse my ignorance, but WTF is a "fob"?

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: dabuddha
just curious but are either one of you guys fobs? or both born in america or raised in america?

Nope, we both speak fluent english. She was partially raised in philiphines until 5th grade then came to US. I lived in US all my life.

If they think you are not good enough for their daughter, then in their eyes you are still not good enough. Like you mention, respect is something you have to earn. But like everything in life, it is a two ways street. From reading your post, you didn't gain any points from her parents.

True, I would understand that IF her parents treated her better. The fact that they are treating her badly now and expecting me to be "perfect" for her is hypocritical of them.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
LOL @ reitz!:)

I hope I don't get banned for this, but here goes:

fob=fresh of the boat

or, even more insulting,

F*ckin' Oriental B*tch (or Bastard) whichever the case may be.

Prolly many others.

It seems to be taking the route of the "N word" lately as I have an Phillipino office-mate who is always asking, "Is she a fob?"

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
In the chinese culture, you are really not supposed to live in another house besides your parents. If you buy a new house, it is common to have a nice room for your elders also. It is just the chinese way. Compared to other chinses families, my parents are very liberal. One time, during work, my dad wlaked in and I just said, "whats up dad". All the other Asians I worked with were shocked because they said I was disrepecting my dad because "What's up" is not a proper phrase to use!

Don't try to chnage or criticize her parents' ways. it just wrong. It's her culture and it would be like telling a really devoted Christain to stop going to church on Sundays.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't try to chnage or criticize her parents' ways. it just wrong. It's her culture and it would be like telling a really devoted Christain to stop going to church on Sundays.

I agree.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Johnlee
LOL @ reitz!:)

I hope I don't get banned for this, but here goes:

fob=fresh of the boat

or, even more insulting,

F*ckin' Oriental B*tch (or Bastard) whichever the case may be.

Prolly many others.

It seems to be taking the route of the "N word" lately as I have an Phillipino office-mate who is always asking, "Is she a fob?"

lol never heard the 2nd one but i meant fresh off the boat. when i use it, i don't really mean it in an insulting way. It's just of a way of conveying whether they grew up in this country or outside of this country. and it does make a difference :)