My GF moved to a new apartment, and I want to make it more secure. Any ideas?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
She moved into a new apartment in Chicago. It's an older 3 story house that was conerted into apartments, and she is on the 3rd floor. The front door in my opinion is secure enough because there are no windows around, and they would have to break through the door to get in. That door also has one of those thick locks, and a dead bolt, so I am not worried about that. The back door is what I am nervous about. There is a back stair-well, and then she has a little-room porch in the back. So from the porch thing, you have access to a hugh-window and a back door. There are two doors for the back porch, one is a a cheaper wood door coming from the stair well, and the other is the kitchen door. What I would like to do is install a buzzer/alarm of some sort that will go off when the cheapo-door from the stairwell is opened. I was thinking about just putting a switch of somekind so that whenever the back screen door is opened, the buzzer will go off, and then we the door is closed, it will stop. That way if a instruder of some sort were to come in up the back, as soon as the opened the door the buzzer would go off and they would be frightened off. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Probably not too complex. Pick up a wireless doorbell kit. Do a little soldering and wire the doorbell transmitter into a door switch or sensor. The wireless doorbell will go off when someone opens the door then.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I hadn't thought of that. That sounds like a simple way to do things...
Originally posted by: Freejack2
Probably not too complex. Pick up a wireless doorbell kit. Do a little soldering and wire the doorbell transmitter into a door switch or sensor. The wireless doorbell will go off when someone opens the door then.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i suggest home security stuff at home depot or lowes or wally world... just install a door sensor, it knows when the door is open, and will go off within a certain time if the code isn't entered. i guess you could set that time to 0 if you wanted.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I can tell you what you can't do: Set up a gun to go off when that back door open.

I a little bit of info from your law student ATer. :)

Stainz

Jul 11, 2002
Can you give me the address of the place and the times your girlfriend will be out. Also if you leave a spare key, please tell me where you put it then will I be able to provide you with better ways of securing the place. ;)
Just kidding, but seriously you can upgrade the windows to smash-resistant windows. If you have any sliding doors, a piece of timber can be placed to jam the door plus drill holes at the top of the door and place a thick bolt in to prevent the sliding door from lifting off its tracks.
If the doors have metal door knobs you can call and electrician to have him wire the apartments "live" wire to the door knob that way when they touch the door knob to open the door they will get zapped.
Otherways ways to detect a would-be intruder is to use pressure sensitive mats, PIR sensors, reed switches etc to trigger an alarm.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: cjchaps
I don't think I can afford one of those :(
Originally posted by: guyver01
Install one of THESE on a remote trip sensor..

check the hot deals forum... and PM Rossman... see if he can find you and specials :D

mebbe a stackable coupon.... $50 off $1 trillion or more... or something like that? ;)