Discussion My fully portable EXTERNAL ASUS Strix RTX 3090 OC Monster GPU on the go - CACODEMON Approved!

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
I waited for a long time for a case with a decent integrated handle in form factor that is convenient to carry to and from work, while enjoying some epic gaming sessions in between. The Rzyen 3950X doesn't disappoint. This is probably the world's first "portable" Strix RTX 3090 OC eGPU on the go because I carry this setup to and from work on a weekly basis when I need to go into the field/lab for compute intensive work. When its resting at home, I put it through the paces in my normal content creation task such as 8K video editing, photoshop and high resolution RAW files processing from my Canon R5 camera. It's also a great entertainment box running MSFS 2020 to entertain my 3 boys during this upcoming crappy winter! Glad I sold all my strix 2080 ti early to fully fund the strix. It runs so cool and quiet in this case and all my professional work is seeing a major uplift in performance anywhere from 70% to 200%!

Full specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3950X
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact Motherboard
Case: Lian-Li TU150 Case
PSU: Corsair SF750 PSU

GPU: Strix 2080ti OC STRIX RTX 3090 OC!
RAM: 16GB X 2 Gskill PC3600 DDR4 16-16-16-36

Storage:
Samsung 970 Pro 1TB Boot Drive
Samsung 970 EVO 512GB Cache drive
2X 2TB Samsung PM863a SATA SSD

Already took this mini rig to and from the workplace many times and it performed flawlessly! Remains whisper quiet even under 100% mining load.

_39A9496_DxO.jpg_39A9497_DxO.jpg_39A9498_DxO.jpg_39A9499_DxO.jpg_39A9511_DxO.jpg_39A9517.jpg

Last edited:

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
Actually looks like the whole heatsink changed.

Yes I switched from the Noctua NH-U12A to the dark rock pro 4 because it performs much better for the 3950x while keeping everything silent. I actually have a very legit need for silence because sometimes when I work in the basement, I need to be able to hear my 1 year old + boy taking a nap upstairs ;)

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Yes I switched from the Noctua NH-U12A to the dark rock pro 4 because it performs much better for the 3950x while keeping everything silent. I actually have a very legit need for silence because sometimes when I work in the basement, I need to be able to hear my 1 year old + boy taking a nap upstairs ;)

I hear ya, when I was younger, noise didn't bother me at all and I just went full blast trying to get the best performance possible. Now I go for the quietest possible within my performance target which means I over provision all my cooling so fans never have to ramp up. It helps with my stress levels during particularly grueling projects, lol.

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
I hear ya, when I was younger, noise didn't bother me at all and I just went full blast trying to get the best performance possible. Now I go for the quietest possible within my performance target which means I over provision all my cooling so fans never have to ramp up. It helps with my stress levels during particularly grueling projects, lol.

I don't mind the swoosh of the fan noise but 4 noctuas at 100% rpm creates alot of turbulence and I cannot hear anything outside of the room when the rig is mining. There was one occasion where my little one was crying for a few min after nap time because I couldn't hear him.

Plus, the CPU wasn't able to boost to its full potential under the noctua so I am losing out on performance as well.

Shadowars

Aug 3, 2020
You should switch to a 3950x build like mine, Obsidian 1000D tower.
Why do you need a portable PC?

Attachments

• 20200528_142420.jpg
    20200528_142420.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 49

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
You should switch to a 3950x build like mine, Obsidian 1000D tower.
Why do you need a portable PC?

Thats because since the start of the pandemic, I moved my office to home but occasionally needs to go to the robotics and automation lab for some work and it is nice to carry the powerful workstation along for live video/audio recording and other content creation tasks.

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
I did a similar move from an old Full Tower Corsair 700D with custom water cooling to a Mini ITX cube Fractal Core 500. It's easy to air cool those small cases but I am now missing at least one more expansion slot to add a 10Gbe NIC. Noise at full load was a better with the custom WC (fans could run at very low RPM) but cost wise the ITX build wins big time.

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020

what temps do you get on your 3950X and the ambient temperature, if you could please share. Thanks lots~

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
Ambient temp is 24 Ceclius, CPU idle temp around 40s (Celcius) - load during mining high 70s

Thank you so much for sharing. My ambient as I type this is 28C and my idle is about 44-46 on Ryzen and on load (nothing comes close to mining; hence load is relative), Cinebench R20, I hit about 70C. Did not use PBO and all that. Just happy to be "in range" of temps. I'm using the same cooler as you and hence needed to gauge if the temps are within range. Thank you very much and your rig is amazing!

P.S I'm running a "vacuum cleaner" in my case..hahah, it's loud!

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
Thank you so much for sharing. My ambient as I type this is 28C and my idle is about 44-46 on Ryzen and on load (nothing comes close to mining; hence load is relative), Cinebench R20, I hit about 70C. Did not use PBO and all that. Just happy to be "in range" of temps. I'm using the same cooler as you and hence needed to gauge if the temps are within range. Thank you very much and your rig is amazing!

P.S I'm running a "vacuum cleaner" in my case..hahah, it's loud!

I am using PBO and Auto OC. You can quite down your fans and the temp will still remain acceptable. On another rig that I have, running the same CPU and cooler, I was able to OC to 4.2 Ghz all core and it barely hit 85C degree.

Reactions: snooptrader

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
I am using PBO and Auto OC. You can quite down your fans and the temp will still remain acceptable. On another rig that I have, running the same CPU and cooler, I was able to OC to 4.2 Ghz all core and it barely hit 85C degree.

Sorry for the late reply, I turned down the case fans but I ramped up the CPU fans and the CPU temps are about 50C when in use, I do not have all cores at 4.2Ghz but overall, am a happy camper... Thank you so much for sharing and it's great to know another 3950X owner. The CPU has been cutting through all the daily task and now I'm contemplating running a VM on it. Need to pick up another 32Gb of ram in that instance. The thought of dismantling the DRP4 is putting me off; not the RAMs.. think the prices for more multitask is still reasonable =)

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
I will know soon if the Strix 3090 will cook or fly in this case....

How has the 3090 been? It’s a massive piece and I wonder how has the heat fared.
Tried playing Squad and the GPU on my 1660 went from 45C to 75C.. the CPU temp went to about 60.. ambient air 27C.. It’s my first game ever? 😅

traderjay

Sep 24, 2015
How has the 3090 been? It’s a massive piece and I wonder how has the heat fared.
Tried playing Squad and the GPU on my 1660 went from 45C to 75C.. the CPU temp went to about 60.. ambient air 27C.. It’s my first game ever? 😅

Not here yet...should be getting it next week.