My Friends Brother Is Missing

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
UPDATE 2:
I talked to Brock today. We didn't talk to long. Apparently, since this is considered an ongoing military matter, he couldn't tell me much. His brother, Rusty, was at a bar on the 19th and started hanging out with some random guys. They suggested driving down to NC for a party, and Rusty went along with them. This is where Brock left out a lot of details, but from what he said (and didn't say) it seems that Rusty was held against his will until the police were alerted, and he was taken to the hospital.

Rusty and his family are still at the hospital in NC, and Brock said he would be back sometime next week.

This is all I know at this point, but once the full details have been told to me, I will relay it here.

UPDATE: Hey guys. I've been working really hard all day, so I haven't had time to come on here and post. I don't know the full extent of the situation as of now, but Brock called me and let me know that they found Rusty in North Carolina last night. I don't know why he was there or the circumstances, but he's in good condition. Once I get done here at work I'm going to call Brock and try to find out some more details on the situation.

Thank you for everything you guys have done. It always makes me smile to see a group of strangers pull together to help out. :)

SacrosanctFiend, since you've given an update of what you know and it is apparent that the membership is going to keep pressing this matter, I am going to now lock this thread. If you decide decide later to share more information, as it becomes available, you can always start a new thread.

AnandTech Senior Moderator
compuwiz1

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Eeek I hope he shows up. Was he career military or is there a possibility of him going AWOL?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
Eeek I hope he shows up. Was he career military or is there a possibility of him going AWOL?

He's not career military. I doubt he would go AWOL, though. He's got a wife and a newborn at home.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Where is Stanford, VA? I live in Stafford which is just south of Quantico. There are Marines all over the place around this area. Are you sure it isn't Stafford?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Where is Stanford, VA? I live in Stafford which is just south of Quantico. There are Marines all over the place around this area. Are you sure it isn't Stafford?

It's Stafford. I'm not thinking too clearly right now.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
where in Stafford was he last seen?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to get a hold of my friend right now to find out, and will post more details when I do.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Post as many details as possible.
Does he live in Stafford or was he just passing through en route to DC?
Does he work on Quantico or elsewhere in the area?
What was he driving?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
All we know at this point, until we can get a hold of his wife, is that he was in Stafford on a military-related trip. We don't know the name of the hotel he was staying at, and we don't know the make or model of the rental car he was driving. I should be able to provide more details shortly.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just forwarded his pic to all my Outlook contacts ... hopefully he'll turn up ok!

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Okay. So he's from out of the area? There're only about 4 main hotels in Stafford that people on training related leave stay. Has the wife checked with his unit?

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Okay. So he's from out of the area? There're only about 4 main hotels in Stafford that people on training related leave stay. Has the wife checked with his unit?

I'm not sure. That's another thing I will be sure to check on.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Ok. Still don't know the name of the hotel he was staying at, but he was last seen there at 7:00PM EST on Tuesday. His wife contacted his unit, and the military is 'aware of and handling the matter." He was driving a Ford Focus sedan (don't know the color), and it is no longer at the hotel. His cell goes straight to voicemail, so it is either dead or turned off.

Thanks for all the help so far. I know I am not able to provide many details.

Omegachi

Diamond Member
Mar 27, 2001

Omegachi, you've got mod mail.
comment edited out. Not appropriate.

AnandTech Senior Moderator
compuwiz1

chusteczka

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2006
He has received the Navy Achievement Medal. This is difficult to earn and is normally given to a hard worker that shows career potential. He has also endured three overseas ship deployments. I seriously doubt he deserted.

Delta6Echo

Jun 1, 2007
Can we get an update? Also, what has been up to as of late? Does he have a significant other or did he plan a trip without telling anyone? More info would be nice.....

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Omegachi
looks like hes in hawaii

WTF? ATOT sure is full of asshats.... Most of the time, it's a good thing. But occasionally we get a thread where it just isn't appropriate or appreciated at all.

Good luck, OP. I have a co-worker in the Marines reserves, and I'll see if he can let people in his unit know. I work in Baltimore, so it isn't far from DC.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
is it possible that they got him on a secret mission that even the wife would not know about?

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
is it possible that they got him on a secret mission that even the wife would not know about?

My friends dad is a Marine and would be off doing top secret crap a lot. His family knew that he was gone. Didn't know where he was gone to, or exactly when he would get back, but they weren't just not told anything. Often they were told he was somewhere completely different than where he really was.