My friend needs help with an Ebay auction

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Auction

Ok, so my friend just called me up and asked if I ever sold anything on ebay. He then begins to tell me about the above auction. The buyer payed for the watch (paypal) but after receiving it, he has decided that he "doesn't like the style of the watch."

The way that my friend found out about his displeasure with the watch was with an email that simply said "I'm returning the watch for a complete refund because I don't like the style. Please let me know that your address is correct" No warning, no asking or anything.

Is my friend obligated to refund the buyer his money? I checked the auction and there is no refund/return policy stated, does that imply that the sale is final?

What should my friend do? Thanks.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Tell the buyer to FOAD. They purchased the watch there are no defects with it. They are stuck. If they don't like the "style" tell them to put it back up on ebay and have someone else buy it.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
No he shouldn't be obligated to refund money since he didn't have any "satisfaction guarantee" on there.

But odds are, if he doesn't refund the buyer would file a paypal complaint and paypal would screw your friend and refund the guy's money. But I guess as long as he gets the watch back in the same condition as it was sent then he could just resell it again and all he'd be out is the ebay listing cost.

2canSAM

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
Tell the buyer to FOAD. They purchased the watch there are no defects with it. They are stuck. If they don't like the "style" tell them to put it back up on ebay and have someone else buy it.

Simple as it gets. There are no warranties at all expressed in that auction. The buyer bought a genuine tag 69 and that is what he got. As was said if the buyer doesn't like that style, thats their bag not your friends.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
The buyer isn't claiming misrepresentation of the goods for sale (a genuine reason for return). He has buyer's remorse. Your friend has no ethical obligation to accept a return. I'd tell the guy to set up his own auction if he doesn't like it.

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
The buyer bought another watch from somebody else on the 21st, check it.

If it was CC paypal, watchout for the chargeback.

MangoTBG

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
Originally posted by: SparkyJJO
No he shouldn't be obligated to refund money since he didn't have any "satisfaction guarantee" on there.

But odds are, if he doesn't refund the buyer would file a paypal complaint and paypal would screw your friend and refund the guy's money. But I guess as long as he gets the watch back in the same condition as it was sent then he could just resell it again and all he'd be out is the ebay listing cost.

I did tell him about the fact that the buyer could dispute the transaction through PayPal. However, the only way I remember hearing about this happening is with DOA items and items not received. He said he has proof that the item was received so that shouldn't be a problem. How exactly can he do this through PayPal considering this? He also told me he has already taken the money out of paypal and deposited into his bank account. I told him not to spend any of it until this gets settled because I'd hate to see paypal somehow pull the money out of his bank account if they are able to. Is that possible?

Also if he did take it back he'd be out $30. $10 from shipping and $20 from paypal.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: MangoTBG

I did tell him about the fact that the buyer could dispute the transaction through PayPal. However, the only way I remember hearing about this happening is with DOA items and items not received. He said he has proof that the item was received so that shouldn't be a problem. How exactly can he do this through PayPal considering this? He also told me he has already taken the money out of paypal and deposited into his bank account. I told him not to spend any of it until this gets settled because I'd hate to see paypal somehow pull the money out of his bank account if they are able to. Is that possible?

Tell him to remove his bank account information from paypal until this is resolved.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Auction

Ok, so my friend just called me up and asked if I ever sold anything on ebay. He then begins to tell me about the above auction. The buyer payed for the watch (paypal) but after receiving it, he has decided that he "doesn't like the style of the watch."

The way that my friend found out about his displeasure with the watch was with an email that simply said "I'm returning the watch for a complete refund because I don't like the style. Please let me know that your address is correct" No warning, no asking or anything.

Is my friend obligated to refund the buyer his money? I checked the auction and there is no refund/return policy stated, does that imply that the sale is final?

What should my friend do? Thanks.

if he sends it back, refuse to accept the package. Problem solved.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

Tell him to remove his bank account information from paypal until this is resolved.

QFT, withdraw any paypal balance and remove account. By law paypal can't touch his bank account anyway (they're not a registered bank), but I'd do it just to be sure.

Jan 31, 2002

QFT. Get the money out NOW and take the bank account off the file. CC's you can pretty easily throw a chargeback on them.

- M4H