My friend is full of BS... I need some cracking advice.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
BK, are you sure its on-die? I bet that would generate a whole load of heat! Have like over 100 million transistors... not?

BurntKooshie

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
most all of the technical details you could want about the P3 in a quick, easy to access guide.

I use sandpile.org as a reference constantly. For those of you who've seen me post in CPU forum, you'll see that i'm not lying :)

[EDIT] and yes, its weighs in at over 140 million transistors

I could be wrong, but I believe that the original cumine xeons (256k) were litterally P3's in slot 2 form. I <believe> that the newer ones can do 4way smp (more than 4 way requires more hardware).

PeterN

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Guys,

Isn't there a slight possibility that he (or better his company) got hold of some experimental new Intels with the 64bit busses (Intel is developping them as we write and is also know of supplying beta-versions of upcoming procs to some of their customers)?. That would mean there's twice the throughput, and twice the number of blocks crunched, right? A server with 8 procs of that kind might be able to get such a keyrate, if optimization is 100%.

I can't believe he got hold of them, but still! It wouldn't take him much to optimize the linux kernel to get such a keyrate.

Also I can't believe he rewrote the Dnet-client's code, since the staff of Dnet would jump all over him, if they found out someone send in blocks with broken integrity.

jinsonxu

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2000
Hmm, pity it's not his own machine. Else he's a great target for assimilation! :)

Hopefully the DPCs don't hear of him. But come to think of it....

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
64bit buses? As in .. IA-64.. Itaniumn (I think??) No. Not at all.

In that case, they'd need a 64bit version of Linux.. I think thats a little hard to find.. heh..
And then he'd need to be an ubber l337 h4x0r:)D) to port the Dnet client over to 64bit.

Its just not possible this early in the game of 64bit Intel CPU's.

The only real answer is a MegaFlush. We'll see in his next stats.

TOOCOOL

Jun 12, 2000

440 blocks were completed yesterday (0.00000064% of the keyspace)
at a sustained rate of 1,367 KKeys/sec! Ranked 15,643 for the day.

This is about 4% of the rate of this participant's best day ever, which was
13-Sep-2000 when 10,084 blocks were completed at a rate of 31,330 KKeys/sec.
Think he has finished his mini flush? :)

BurntKooshie

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hehe, guess we were right. We postulated above that, if his output dramatically dropped, it was a flush. Hymmmm....guess we do know what we are talking about :Q