My first SERIOUS overclock... still an old CPU tho

IEatChildren

Jul 4, 2003
I've been running on a 533mhz celeron for a while, most of the time I had it OC'ed to 640mhz (80 FSB), but doing so would disable my onboard sound :(

Now while I'm waiting for my 2400+ to get here, I'm running my Duron 700 at 1ghz :D
It's running at 166x6 at 1.9 vcore, and after a good amount of endurance testing, it seems to be as stable as it's even been.
My temps are still decent for the bump in speed and voltage. I'm running at 42 degrees idle and 47 full load.

Durons have a reputation of being good overclockers, but I haven't experimented much with them until just now. The only long-term overclock I've done was a T-Bird 1.2ghz at 1.4, and that system's since been sold to a friend and still running strong. But percentage-wise, this Duron OC is rather impressive. It's still nothing compared to the 1700+ B's unfortunately.

Now I just wonder if my current heatsink would allow me to raise the voltage for a higher OC... My 8RDA+ can go up to 2.2

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: IEatChildren
I've been running on a 533mhz celeron for a while, most of the time I had it OC'ed to 640mhz (80 FSB), but doing so would disable my onboard sound :(

Now while I'm waiting for my 2400+ to get here, I'm running my Duron 700 at 1ghz :D
It's running at 166x6 at 1.9 vcore, and after a good amount of endurance testing, it seems to be as stable as it's even been.
My temps are still decent for the bump in speed and voltage. I'm running at 42 degrees idle and 47 full load.

Durons have a reputation of being good overclockers, but I haven't experimented much with them until just now. The only long-term overclock I've done was a T-Bird 1.2ghz at 1.4, and that system's since been sold to a friend and still running strong. But percentage-wise, this Duron OC is rather impressive. It's still nothing compared to the 1700+ B's unfortunately.

Now I just wonder if my current heatsink would allow me to raise the voltage for a higher OC... My 8RDA+ can go up to 2.2

I wouldn't go too much higher on voltage with that duron if you plan to keep it around
a lot of people used to run those things over 2v, but even tho the durons the t-birds do cope with higher voltages better than the .13u processors, I would still not push too much higher than 1.9 if i was you

but as far as those temps go if it's stable then it shouldn't be too much of a problem
you could go till it becomes unstable if you want
just remember it will prob be the voltage that will kill the processor if it dies