My first real Dell gripe...

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Up until now I've always been relatively pleased with Dell, they have great stuff at good prices - Plus I don't have to support it.

Anyway, I bought my grandparents a Dimension 2400. Nothing special, absolute rock bottom $314.10 shipped but more than capable of everything they'll ever need. I ordered it without a floppy, figured I'd steal the one out of their current system.

I got it today, opened it up, & discovered there is no floppy cage. So I can't install the drive.

Called Dell, turns out they won't send you the cage. If you want the cage you have to buy a drive, cable, and cage for $20 some odd dollars.

So now I have to place another Dell order, which won't be subject to the 10% coupon that I used on the system.

Minor (and I'm not really pissed off, more amused), but dammit I didn't want to buy a new floppy, I have too many laying around as it is.

:|

Viper GTS

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Do they really need a floppy drive?

If so, why not try and find a drive bay "adapter" or whatever that will let you stick a 3.5" in - I bet your local CompUSA or such has it...

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Find one of those old 5-1/4 floppy adapters rail thingy's they used to put in 486's and older stuff.... Should be cheap or free.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Nah, it's not my money anyway. I'm doing it for them, but they're buying it.

I'm sure they would prefer to have proper fit & finish vs the saved $20 (money isn't a concern, the reason for the low cost is just that they honestly don't care about how fast their PC is - they were perfectly happy with their Pentium 100 w/16 MB).

Viper GTS

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
theres no cage but theres a opening for it right... so can you just GLUE IT ON or have it hanging out ...

ahh well , i would hate having to ship something back then wait some more just to cage and floppy... way to much fustration.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: anxi80
Originally posted by: RossMAN
What are the specs?

I ask because Dell has a 2400 with 17" monitor for $314.

HOT HOT HOT!!!
i know you dont hear this enough Ross, but thanks for the link! My grandparents want a computer, and this is perfect. $357 shipped! Not too shabby! Thanks!

You're welcome, glad I could help out.

A co-worker is using an ancient Compaq all-in-one which has a 1GB Hard Drive.

Hopefully they'll buy this because it's an incredible deal for a basic computer with monitor.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: amdskip
Originally posted by: metalmania
I see nothing wrong with Dell.
Have you ever had to deal with their India support, it sucks hugely!

I'm completely confused with this.

I called Dell tech support 2 days about because my inspiron battery has quit holding a full charge. I got someone on the phone in less than 1 minute hold time and it was an america.

No problems with their tech support a few days ago!

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Same deal with the Dimension 4600. Mine still doesn't have a floppy because I've been too lazy to call up and order the part. Probably would have bought it if I could checkout online.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What are the specs?

HOT HOT HOT!!!

I didn't use that deal, I ordered it a week or so ago.

The free 80 GB HD upgrade will be worth more to them than the monitor (they already have a pretty decent 17"), no need to re-order.

Viper GTS

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
What are the specs?

HOT HOT HOT!!!

I didn't use that deal, I ordered it a week or so ago.

The free 80 GB HD upgrade will be worth more to them than the monitor (they already have a pretty decent 17"), no need to re-order.

Viper GTS

Good, it sounds like you did your homework before ordering their system.

If they already have a decent 17" there's no point in getting another and a 80GB offers plenty of room for storage.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: amdskip
Originally posted by: metalmania
I see nothing wrong with Dell.
Have you ever had to deal with their India support, it sucks hugely!

I'm completely confused with this.

I called Dell tech support 2 days about because my inspiron battery has quit holding a full charge. I got someone on the phone in less than 1 minute hold time and it was an america.

No problems with their tech support a few days ago!

consider yourself fortunate. I just called this past weds to RMA my 1800FP I just bought. Finally got them to process an exchange after getting transferred to SIX different people all with thick Indian accents. It was miserable but I got my new LCD today and so far so good.