• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

My first Motorcycle and gear... critique within

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: essasin
Do you have any experience with bikes? If you are really concered about safety I would suggest to get a more forgiving bike. Sure, there are people that will tell you that you could hop on a 600cc bike right off the bat, but any experieced rider will tell you that even a 250cc is more than enough for a starter. It personally took me 2 years before I out grew out of a 250cc. Of course there will be the punks that will say you ride a girls bike, but this is the way to go if you are serious about it. You are not going to pop open a bottle of Dom the first time you taste champagne....you gotta work your way up there.
SV650 is a very tame Vtwin beginners bike.. it is not a supersport 600 ricerocket.
he follwed the advice of quite a few members here and and sportbikes.net on the SV650.

top speed is around 130 and it doesnt get there very quick.
very ninja500 like with a little more torque casue its a Vtwin

btw... Scorpions fit alot like Arai's and have the latest snell approval as well as some very nice features...
but usually Arai and Shoei are the best.. in motorcycle helmets you definalty get what you pay for...
how much is your head worth to you...

MaluMan

Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: firebyyrd
Ninja 250cc.

My first bike. It's easy to handle, quite fast too, don't understimate it.
Second bike... ZX-6.

I'm 5'7... so these bikes are quite comfortable for me. Personally I really recommend the ninja 250cc, don't start on such a big bike, bad things happen, just start small and work your way up... I've learned like that and I feel much more secure on a ZX-6 then other people who hit the big bikes right away.

About your gear, would you consider leather? I think a leather jacket would be a much better choice in my opinion.
it would be if i wanted something extremely heavy, warm, etc. and not suitable for any condition cleveland might throw at me.

also, you are 5'7 throw another 6" on top of your height, and you cant fit me on a 250. how many times do i have to say it?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Am_I_too_big_for_this_motorcycle%3F ... there are many others on that forum your size

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MaluMan
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
Originally posted by: firebyyrd
Ninja 250cc.

My first bike. It's easy to handle, quite fast too, don't understimate it.
Second bike... ZX-6.

I'm 5'7... so these bikes are quite comfortable for me. Personally I really recommend the ninja 250cc, don't start on such a big bike, bad things happen, just start small and work your way up... I've learned like that and I feel much more secure on a ZX-6 then other people who hit the big bikes right away.

About your gear, would you consider leather? I think a leather jacket would be a much better choice in my opinion.
it would be if i wanted something extremely heavy, warm, etc. and not suitable for any condition cleveland might throw at me.

also, you are 5'7 throw another 6" on top of your height, and you cant fit me on a 250. how many times do i have to say it?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Am_I_too_big_for_this_motorcycle%3F ... there are many others on that forum your size
you dont understand.

i do NOT fit comfortably.
at ALL.

ASK THE COMMUNITY