My first hands free driving experience using Fords BlueCruise. It was awesome!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So if you don't know I recently took possession of a 2023 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance that I special ordered back in August of last year. If you want to read more about that check out the Who's interested in the new Mustang SUV? thread. Specifically the last couple of pages.

Anyway, so after a little under 200 miles of ownership I wanted to test out the hands free driving feature that Ford calls BlueCruise. So after stopping by Costco to pick up some things we needed I decided to take the long way home by hopping on I-74 between Peoria and Bloomington Illinois. This shit is amazing! I never thought it would be possible but after experiencing it first hand I can't wait to take this vehicle on longer road trips.

So here's a short 40s video I took of the experience. My wife was freaking out but all things considered the vehicle did just fine for the short 5 mile trip. I can't wait to try this out for longer stretches on eligible roads.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Well lets hope that doesn't happen! I don't want a BSOD to happen while hands free driving down the interstate at 75mph!:D

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I still haven't gotten to try BlueCruise yet, but it looks cool from your review! We do most of our trips with my wife's EyeSight system in her Subaru, which does TACC & Lane Centering, which does a really fantastic job for low-stress highway cruising. Tesla's system is pretty good, but a bit nerve-wracking at times. The Subaru does well in most situations, outside of really steep curves on the road, where it will chime & stupidly instantly turn off, so you have to kind of get to know what it can handle & what it can't. It also gets confused on non-well-marked roads, so you have to be prepared for that too, but for a non-mapped, non-software-driven "mechanical" 'self-driving' system, it's pretty decent!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I wish they'd shown more of it. Basically this is 10% of what Tesla had in 2016.

Well to be fair Ford never ever EVER compared it's BlueCruise to Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot. I also didn't have to pay thousands of dollars in advance for BlueCruise unlike many current and future Tesla owners have to for Enhanced Autopilot.

$6K is a lot to pony up for a system that has been in development for....how long? It doesn't show any sign of being ready outside of beta releases either. Honestly Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot is kinda like the Star Citizen of hands free driving.

Reactions: Kaido

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
Well to be fair Ford never ever EVER compared it's BlueCruise to Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot. I also didn't have to pay thousands of dollars in advance for BlueCruise unlike many current and future Tesla owners have to for Enhanced Autopilot.

$6K is a lot to pony up for a system that has been in development for....how long? It doesn't show any sign of being ready outside of beta releases either. Honestly Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot is kinda like the Star Citizen of hands free driving.
i mean tbf basic AP is free and also works anywhere, not being able to auto change lanes does suck tho. also after the price drop MYP + EAP is still cheaper than mach-e GT while being faster w/ more range

after the tesla price drop its going to be tough sledding for ford until they drop prices in response. best thing going for mach-e IMO is the adaptive suspension, telsa even post oct 22 w/ comfort suspension is poorly sprung/dampened

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
i mean tbf basic AP is free and also works anywhere, not being able to auto change lanes does suck tho. also after the price drop MYP + EAP is still cheaper than mach-e GT while being faster w/ more range
Yeah to be fair @bigi post didn't really show case basic Autopilot it show cased Enhanced Autopilot which isn't free.

Anyway, I don't know how I managed to reel in not only one but two Tesla fans on the same line but I did!!!

• Haha
Reactions: DooKey and Kaido