My first car=Bimmer! NEW PICS!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: ndee
Originally posted by: Xionide
So I have been keeping my eye on this 84 318i and today my dad bought it for me. Its way cool. Its a 2 door stick 4cylinder. It has some body damage but o well. It needs some exhaust work and new front seats. But I think its a pretty good deal for $750. Engine runs good and the tranny seems fine. Well here are the pics (sorry for there um, well crapiness)

PICT0001.jpg
PICT0002.jpg
PICT0003.jpg
PICT0004.jpg
PICT0005.jpg

-Xionide

wow, I hate those BMWs. There are tons of people in Switzerland who buy an old piece of crap BMW and put M3 or M5 badges on them.

This was made JUST for you

hehe, sorry Rblowjob ;)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
ya, it slides forward and up really cool like then you pull it up and it just stays, no stupid little metal pole you have to fvck with. Its hard to explain. Maybe I will make a vid of it tomarrow while I am taking those interior pics.

I know my friend's does that. It's pretty neat. Only bad things when he bought the car. The dash was cracked. The electronics were messed up. A few dings on the outside. And the audio system/speakers were horrible.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
ya, it slides forward and up really cool like then you pull it up and it just stays, no stupid little metal pole you have to fvck with. Its hard to explain. Maybe I will make a vid of it tomarrow while I am taking those interior pics.

I know my friend's does that. It's pretty neat. Only bad things when he bought the car. The dash was cracked. The electronics were messed up. A few dings on the outside. And the audio system/speakers were horrible.

my dash is cracked too :(. But oh well. It can be fixed. The hood is all dinged up in a couple places. and one of the panels is dented in GRR
but it can be fixed. Nothing is majorly damaged tho. The only real big deals are the exhaust and the front seats.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
how is the insurance on old BMW?

and do you still have to get oil change done @ the dealer? (at crazy prices after warranty is over.. i might add)

Jun 18, 2000
1) Nice ride, and congratulations.

2) Why would you upload 1MB jpegs to pics.bbzzdd.com? Couldn't shrink or compress those down a bit?

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: MustangSVT
how is the insurance on old BMW?

and do you still have to get oil change done @ the dealer? (at crazy prices after warranty is over.. i might add)

Havent checked into insurance yet but since it is an 84 it is officially a classic. So no emissions :D and I think that lowers the insurance doesnt it?

-Xionide

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: KnightBreed
1) Nice ride, and congratulations.

2) Why would you upload 1MB jpegs to pics.bbzzdd.com? Couldn't shrink or compress those down a bit?

I think crusty the clown said it the best "I am an extremely lazy person"

-Xionide

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Well, I think one of the first things you should do is change the head unit and speakers.

It has a head unit but no face :(. It looks like it has some nice pioneer speakers in the back tho.

mjquilly

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2000
glad you're happy with it, and you should be, but for the love of god, resize those pics

TitanDiddly

Dec 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Xionide
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox
My brother just picked up a '86 325 for $1500, rust free.

Nice, pics?

It looks good. He bought in Cali while he was out there staying with a college buddy who just got hitched. His friend's father owned a body shop, so he got all sorts of replacment parts (belts, BWM logos, etc) without any bodyshop markup. However- the dash is cracked to all heck. The driver's seat (maybe the passenger's too, can't remember) is also in awful condition. The CD player skips sometimes. There is some electrical mishap somewhere, so all the status lights are red all the time. Other than that, it's in great condition. Estimated resale value here is $3k. After he fixes the interior, a heck of a lot more.

Give me a day or two to take some pics- which will be of poor quality.

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
my mom has an 88 318i i think. inline 6 5-speed.

it sucks and i hate it to death.
AFAIK, the 318i has always been a 4 cyl.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
nice car~ For being that old, 141k ain't bad at all =) Give it some wax, maybe clean out the interior and engine and you should have a very nice ride :)

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Here's my first car, hail sale damage so i got 5k off the price, for a brand new '04

EDIT: im putting spinners on it ;)

EDIT: EDIT: JK :p

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Very nice. Just keep it nice and clean. This is a beauty. You are driving the yuppie car of the early 80's (not to say it still isn't). All the up and coming stock market players and brokers were driving around in this stuff. Now you too can relive that era.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Very nice. Just keep it nice and clean. This is a beauty. You are driving the yuppie car of the early 80's (not to say it still isn't). All the up and coming stock market players and brokers were driving around in this stuff. Now you too can relive that era.

Yes that is the look of this car when it is stock but I am thinking of getting a body kit down later on. Check these out

-Xionide

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
My sister has an '82 320i (1.7 litre engine with the 3-speed automatic). The thing's an absolute dog, it can't even get out of its own way. Hopefully the 100cc of extra displacement and the manual transmission help with that on your car. They can be reliable little cars, but anyone over about 5'10" starts having problems fitting into the driver's seat so I don't ever get to have one.

ZV

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Nice :)

My boss got an '88 325i Automatic a couple of months ago. Shame he had to get rid of the E36 325 Alpina he had before (his wife has just had a kid and needed to get rid of the E36 to get a 4 door car) though!

Confused

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
My sister has an '82 320i (1.7 litre engine with the 3-speed automatic). The thing's an absolute dog, it can't even get out of its own way. Hopefully the 100cc of extra displacement and the manual transmission help with that on your car. They can be reliable little cars, but anyone over about 5'10" starts having problems fitting into the driver's seat so I don't ever get to have one.

ZV

I am about 6'2" so ya its a little cramped.

-Xionide