My father was a history buff.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In addition to knowing world and U.S. history well, he also knew Minnesota History too.

SOMEWHERE in all his junk, I have quite a few newspaper clippings and shit on various Minnesota lynchings. He wanted me to know this stuff, I didnt like it much. But he realized that trying cover up or alter history was just as bad if not worse than forgetting it. I'll post the pics or articles if I can find them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In addition to knowing world and U.S. history well, he also knew Minnesota History too.

SOMEWHERE in all his junk, I have quite a few newspaper clippings and shit on various Minnesota lynchings. He wanted me to know this stuff, I didnt like it much. But he realized that trying cover up or alter history was just as bad if not worse than forgetting it. I'll post the pics or articles if I can find them.
"Study history, or the world's a mystery. Read or bleed people, learn or burn!" - Dave Emory

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
There's an longer article just published in Smithsonian
Apparently, Elias Clayton, Elmer Jackson and Isaac McGhie, lay in unmarked graves for 70 years.
"For seven decades, their bodies remained in unmarked graves in a local cemetery until they were designated with proper markings in the early 1990s
accompanied by the words “Deterred but not Defeated.”

They were finally given markers on their three graves due to work by Craig Glau and the author of the above book, Michael Fredo. Detail in the link.
"http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/projects/2001/06/lynching/page4.shtml"
1592033426388.png

The indignity of the lynching of Elias Clayton, Elmer Jackson and Isaac McGhie, and the conviction of Max Mason
must be remembered and not swept under the rug.
Thanks for linking to the history lesson, Shorty.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My alma mater had a recent article in the alumni rag mentioning that there were two campus chapters of the KKK in the 1920s. These were university chartered student groups. Both my dad and I somehow managed to get degrees from this university and never once hear mention of this history. This was the oh-so-liberal University of Wisconsin- Madison. The memory hole is quite deep.

• Wow
Reactions: Thump553

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
My alma mater had a recent article in the alumni rag mentioning that there were two campus chapters of the KKK in the 1920s. These were university chartered student groups. Both my dad and I somehow managed to get degrees from this university and never once hear mention of this history. This was the oh-so-liberal University of Wisconsin- Madison. The memory hole is quite deep.
I remember at one time, Madison was considered quite liberal. WTF happened to Wisconsin.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I remember at one time, Madison was considered quite liberal. WTF happened to Wisconsin.
Well, Madison is a city and Wisconsin is a state. And no, the state of Wisconsin overall is quite conservative. Occasionally they will vote for a Democrat, but you have to remember how the electoral college works. Internally, the state will generally stay conservative regardless of how it votes in the presidential election.