My father is coming to visit...

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
So, i haven't seen him for 12 yrs...now he wants to come visit.
and i am footing the bill. i guess i'm a little miffed that he never really cared
much for me or stood on my side in important matters. he was pretty much disinterested.
btw, he basically told me and my sis that we don't exist to his new family(he remarried)...
the inlaws dunno he had married before or something like that. i couldn't give a crap..
i just think well, since he gave me life initially, i owe it to him and should honor him.

its the right thing. i just think it'll be pretty weird/awkward facing him for a week or so...
i'll prolly bring him to vegas..some sightseeing. gawd it'll be strange...

Good luck with that. Try to be cordial, but you shouldn't really have to take his sh!t if you 'don't exist' to his new family. That's complete and UTTER CRAP. :|

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
sorry, just because he fvcked your mom and then dumped you and your family doesn't give him the right to anything.

Hubris

Platinum Member
Jul 14, 2001
WTF? He told you, his son, that you don't exist and you're paying for HIM to come see you? Fvck is that? If he wants to come visit you after 12 years, he should at LEAST foot the bill.

Crimzon

Nov 6, 2002
If you *want* to see him, see him. Otherwise, especially considering everything you've said about him... why are you doing this? If he bailed out on you and your sister, and his current family doesn't even know about you guys... why are you entertaining him at all?

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
well..i wasn't there but when grandma died, he told my sis she couldn't go to the funeral coz 'his'
other part of the family was going and if they asked him, he couldn't acknowledge her.

pissed me off for a bit...sis cried and called me up to tell me.

the thing is i don't wanna regret not seeing him...i dunno, aren't we supposed to make peace
and not war? :)
we had a turbulent relationship before so i just wanna make my peace. and since he lives in a different
country this might be the last(few) time we can meet. he's never had much of a 'good', luxurious life
so i just wanna show him a good time. :\

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: slycat
well..i wasn't there but when grandma died, he told my sis she couldn't go to the funeral coz 'his'
other part of the family was going and if they asked him, he couldn't acknowledge her.

the thing is i don't wanna regret not seeing him...i dunno, aren't we supposed to make peace
we had a turbulent relationship before so i just wanna make my peace. and since he lives in a different
country this might be the last(few) time we can meet. he's never had much of a 'good', luxurious life

You are a good person. Do the right thing, do what you feel is right. :)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I say pay the bill and let him come. Even if it's a disaster, you tried and that's all you should ever be asked to do. :)

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
You're just as stupid as he is in my eyes.

There's a difference between making peace and letting him put a footprint on your back.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored

There's a difference between making peace and letting him put a footprint on your back.

:(

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Screw making peace.. I'd punch him in the face...

Slycat, you seem nice for thinking about making peace with your dad. But you don't owe him anything. If I were you, I'd be suing him for child support (if he didn't pay). He owes you 12 years of fatherhood. He had a choice and you didn't. Kick the old man to the curve and move on.

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ChrisIsBored

:(

Sorry, don't take that comment personally.

IMO he's using you now for his own selfish reasons. It's not your obligation to make him feel better. Something clicked in his mind that makes him regret the past, but nothing can make up for that now.

If you really want to see him though then you're just doing your part, otherwise what benefit do you receive from the situation? I mean, would you be happier without having to deal with this mess?

Good luck with it though.

Be prepared for a few of these. :beer:;)

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001

I would be pissed if i were you... but i guess you're a better person than i am. :)

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
i guess a deep part of me believes in retribution, judgment..10 commandments...fire/brimstone..
all that good stuff.

besides, this hurts me how?...other than some dough. i'm not rich but
it can be re-earned what i lose.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
I would be pissed if i were you... but i guess you're a better person than i am. :)

believe me i was and i'm a fvcking hothead...more so when he took my sister's piano and gave it to his new wife.
it was done while i was away coz if i'd been around there'd be mucho ruckas. again sis came crying to me.

but u know...5-10 years can make a lot of anger and piss disappear.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
people make mistakes. even our parents are human. id give my pops a shot (whom ive never interacted with in any way), but only one. not to speak ill of your sister, but maybe she misunderstood?

could he be attempting to make amends?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I am in a situation mildly like this with my family now, my father has quite the past with numerous wives; the only thing I can say is to suck it up once, try to make something of it and extend him the grace that you would desire.

Forgiveness takes but a moment; family is forever, and forever is a very long time.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

believe me i was and i'm a fvcking hothead...more so when he took my sister's piano and gave it to his new wife.
it was done while i was away coz if i'd been around there'd be mucho ruckas. again sis came crying to me.

You aren't a hothead man, you are looney!

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999

It comes to show what kind a person you are, a lot better than your father. You are a better person and man than your father, and that's all you need. :)