My ex-girlfriend will soon have the superior video card

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
You see, I've still the same GeForce 9600 GT that I got when I first built my current 'Penryn' system. This may seem utterly barmy, but I bought this card mostly owing to the ASUS 'sakura girl' artwork... on a heatsink I haven't seen since the card went inside my Antec case. Of course a few weeks later the same artwork showed up on the much more capable Radeon HD 4850. God knows why I didn't sell my 9600 GT and buy the 4850...

This evening, after much deliberation, I'm going to pull the trigger on the MSI R5750 -- for my ex-girlfriend. I should probably get a Radeon HD 5670, which seems a 'good enough' card for her file server, which we're retrofitting for HTPC and light gaming duties -- but for just $20 more, it seems silly not to get the HD 5750, especially if we decide to game at 1920x1080, rather than 1280x720. She'll definitely be cpu-limited by her Athlon X2 4600+, but I expect to upgrade her to an Athlon II X4 eventually (socket AM2+/AM3 -- the gift that keeps on giving, thanks AMD).

Other than to remark on the absurdity of it all, I wonder if this purchase is ill-advised in any way. Mwave is selling an overclocked MSI N240GT for $50 AR, which would be more than adequate for 1280x720 gaming. But the Radeon HD 5750 seems more future-proof, offers the possibility of 1080 gaming, and provides superior audio output over HDMI. Am I silly to pay $70 more for perhaps 65 per cent more performance? And if I wait another couple of weeks, could I see HD 5750s closer to $100?

Last edited:

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
what does she play? and is this one of those from dating-to-just-being-friends sort of arrangement?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Wot? Why are you doing PC work for your ex-GF? Tell her to do it / buy it herself?

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Seems like an odd relationship, buy it yourself and add 30% mark up for requisition fee's and component compatibility checks.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
This probably is better suited to the 'Social' forum, but she and I still get on very well, and we do favours for each other quite often. For example, like many middle-class girls, she knits, and she's making a 'cunning hat' (a la Jayne Cobb) for a friend of mine. We probably would have got married had I got my act together (I'm yet another underachieving member of Gen X).

The original idea was to convert her file server to an HTPC, for which purpose its integrated graphics (AMD 780G) would probably suffice, but I thought one could probably play console ports eg Bioshock and Fallout 3 at 720p with a fairly cheap video card -- let's say $50-70ish. I probably should have bought the $35ish ASUS 4670 back in November, but I missed it and have beeen stuck since then agonising over whether $80ish is justifiable for a GT 240.

Rational me says buy the $50 AR GT 240. Easily up-sold part of me says the 5750 is a very good card and energy-efficient. And $122 isn't so much money, right? A bottle or two of good wine... Though I'll have to forego said wine if I'm going to buy this card.

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
gt240 with gddr5 = overclocked 9600gt with less power consumption. Not worth buying at this point IMO.

Mabe a used 8800/9800gt for 50/60$ in the for sale forums.
I see them all the time.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Oh, okay then. Just wondering.

IMHO for your (her) purposes, GT 240 @ $50 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5750.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Is there a reason why you can't offload your older video card on her and keep the newer card? Seems like you game more than she does and for a file server/HTPC system, seems like your current card would be overkill.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Is there a reason why you can't offload your older video card on her and keep the newer card? Seems like you game more than she does and for a file server/HTPC system, seems like your current card would be overkill.

I've thought of this, but 1.) it's difficult for me to part with the lovely ASUS girl -- she at least never left me. Ha! 2.) More seriously, it's a long card; I'm not sure it will fit in my ex-girlfriend's case. Also it's less than ideal as an HTPC card since it lacks modern PureVideo, nor can it output audio over native HDMI. I'm trying to keep the cabling clean and simple and would like everything to go to her telly over the single HDMI cable.

I suppose I could always buy a better video card for myself. The same lass is depicted on the original ASUS EAH4870 -- and most of her figure to boot! Dunno if anyone's still selling this version. Mmm, perhaps I haven't the best criteria for technology purchases...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
You chose a video card because of the picture of the pretty girl on it... wow. You usually only see behavior this irrational in the Politics and News forum :)

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
You might want to rethink posting on forums or communicating with the outside world in general.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This probably is better suited to the 'Social' forum, but she and I still get on very well, and we do favours for each other quite often.
Translation: I still have wood for her and do her favors hoping to get some. She accepts my favors while stringing me along with little flirtatious behaviors that keep my hopes alive.

So sad, bro, but we've all been there. Just kick the habit! :p

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
Translation: I still have wood for her and do her favors hoping to get some. She accepts my favors while stringing me along with little flirtatious behaviors that keep my hopes alive.

So sad, bro, but we've all been there. Just kick the habit! :p

Seriously OP, she's playing you good. Hopefully you'll get something out of this, but I suspect you'll just keep buying her computer stuff whenever she bats her eyes.

Oh well. Just don't use any hot butter on her cooter and you should be o.k.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
well duh dude , check his sig. he's a mac user

Indeed. Form over function! Perhaps, more damningly, fancy (in the sense of imagination or fantasy) over function, given I cannot even see said video-card art. At least I can see my aesthetically pleasing Jonathan Ives designs when using my Apple kit. (Wasn't one of the advantages of the BTX format that the video cards would face up in a tower case, rather than down?)

Some punters on this thread have suggested I am perhaps being ruled by my fancy (or more earthy faculties) in assisting my ex-girlfriend. Have I not indicated we've a reciprocal relationship? Okay, perhaps knitting a copy of Jayne Cobb's cunning hat isn't equal to buying a Radeon HD 5750... More seriously (this thread really does now belong in 'Off Topic'), at this point in our post-relationship, it's my ex-girlfriend who wants to get back together. Several months ago, I'll admit, I would have been thrilled by this prospect, but now... I'm in the bitter stage and feel at times irrationally angry that she broke up with me, and even angrier when I realise she'd like to resume our relationship. I couldn't say for certain, but I suspect it's worse than 50-50 that we'll get back together.

There's a part of me that wonders if I'm doing her favours / buying kit in order to relieve my guilt, first in 'failing' the relationship, second in not wanting to resume it.

Returning to the 'Video Cards and Graphics' subject of this thread, I did not buy the MSI R5750 last night. Not owing to any of the psychodrama above, but because I'm not certain Radeon HD 5750s won't be available cheaper in the next couple of weeks. I've about that much time to make a final video card decision.

at80eighty

Jun 28, 2004
indeed. Form over function! Perhaps, more damningly, fancy (in the sense of imagination or fantasy) over function, given i cannot even see said video-card art. At least i can see my aesthetically pleasing jonathan ives designs when using my apple kit. (wasn't one of the advantages of the btx format that the video cards would face up in a tower case, rather than down?)

some punters on this thread have suggested i am perhaps being ruled by my fancy (or more earthy faculties) in assisting my ex-girlfriend. Have i not indicated we've a reciprocal relationship? Okay, perhaps knitting a copy of jayne cobb's cunning hat isn't equal to buying a radeon hd 5750... More seriously (this thread really does now belong in 'off topic'), at this point in our post-relationship, it's my ex-girlfriend who wants to get back together. Several months ago, i'll admit, i would have been thrilled by this prospect, but now... I'm in the bitter stage and feel at times irrationally angry that she broke up with me, and even angrier when i realise she'd like to resume our relationship. I couldn't say for certain, but i suspect it's worse than 50-50 that we'll get back together.

There's a part of me that wonders if i'm doing her favours / buying kit in order to relieve my guilt, first in 'failing' the relationship, second in not wanting to resume it.

Returning to the 'video cards and graphics' subject of this thread, i did not buy the msi r5750 last night. Not owing to any of the psychodrama above, but because i'm not certain radeon hd 5750s won't be available cheaper in the next couple of weeks. I've about that much time to make a final video card decision.

I was joking fwiw ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
I've been writing my posts in the spirit of 'taking the piss' too, knowing full well how ridiculous much of this comes across. Though, my diagnosis of our (post-)relationship is fairly accurate, I should think.

No opinions on whether a better price for an HD 5750 is likely in the next couple of weeks? Should I jump on $122?