My Ecost.com story.. how they screwed me and I screwed them back..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: LoKe
Interesting how you request more money back than you were owed.

I paid $159 and some change for 1 hard drive, 1 Panda Antivirus 2007 3-license software.. It promised a $70mir. It advertised $89 after mir.

$159 - 70 = $89..

I only received half my order ~ $45

$159 - $45 ~ $115

How much money back am I owed?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: brxndxn
Originally posted by: LoKe
Interesting how you request more money back than you were owed.

I paid $159 and some change for 1 hard drive, 1 Panda Antivirus 2007 3-license software.. It promised a $70mir. It advertised $89 after mir.

$159 - 70 = $89..

I only received half my order ~ $45

$159 - $45 ~ $115

How much money back am I owed?

It sounds fair....Eripoff should have just taken care of you.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I was shopping for an antivirus program (one I could use on the 3 computers in my apartment) and an Esata/Usb2 hard drive.

I found a 'great deal' on one at Ecost.com. It was a 500gb eSATA/Usb2 hard drive AND a 3-license copy of Panda Antivirus 2007 for $149 with a $70 mail-in rebate. So.. $79.99 + shipping should be the end result.. Awesome deal, right? So, I ordered it.. $160 total with shipping..

A few days later, I received the 500gb eSATA/Usb2 hard drive.. but Panda Antivirus 2007 was not in the box. I thought maybe it came on the drive - so I checked. It was not on the drive. So, I called Ecost.com and they apologized and said they would send me a copy of it. Meanwhile, I read the rebate instructions.. to get the rebate, I had to write the serial number of Panda Antivirus 2007 on it.. So, I could not qualify for the $70 rebate unless they sent me the software.

Two weeks went by.. I called them back. This time, they told me they could not ship me Panda Antivirus 2007 no matter what. They said it was not in stock. However, other hard drive bundles on their site still list Panda 2007 and say 'in stock.'

After arguing with 'Jen', she told me I had three options... 1. Send my drive back for a full refund. 2. Send my drive back for a refund and replace it with a drive on their website for their currently advertised price. 3. Keep my drive and pay full price for it.

WTF is that? They cannot send me my full order so I have to send something I already bought back to them? They want me to order a second item from them and charge me for it before I get my money back for the first order they screw up? I gotta send back a drive I'm already using? This is BAIT AND SWITCH. I want what I fucking ordered for their fucking advertised price. They cannot advertise a price and then tell me, after already charging me, that I have to send it back and I cannot receive the whole order.

So.. I called American Express and explained my story. The nice lady said, "This definitely sounds like a legitimate stop-charge to me. How much should I request?"

Hrm.. I said, "Let's see.. advertised price is $79.99 after mail-in rebate. I cannot qualify for mail-in rebate because they won't send me the other half of my order. So.. we'll take $70 off.. Also, I only got half of my order so I should pay half of the $79.99."

She processed a stop-charge of $115. Fvcking Ecost.com. All in all, I still got ripped the hell off because I had to spend about 3 hours on the phone getting this done.

--------

CLIFFS:

1. hard drive + software offered for $149 - $70 mir
2. software was not shipped
3. need software to qualify for mir
4. told to 'keep it for full price' or send it back for refund
5. already using the drive

so how did u screw them back?