My dream cruncher

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
cruncher.jpg

As a stress test for the 8x NVIDIA Tesla M2090 cards, and dual E5645 CPUs, I've been running folding at home. 108k ppd for one box....

Too bad it doesn't come close to using all the RAM. 144GB....

Vertaxis

Sep 5, 2012
A picture may be worth a thousands words, but it doesn't detail any specs.

What are the specs and who sells these machines?

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
i'm in for one...you're giving them away for free, right? :p

I wish... it's more of a "I break, I buy" situation. :p

A picture may be worth a thousands words, but it doesn't detail any specs.

What are the specs and who sells these machines?

Tyan 4U GPU Server
Dual Intel E5645 6-core
144GB (18*8GB) RAM
8x NVIDIA Tesla M2090

It's a bit buggy on the Tyan side. But it's got 3x120mm fans... one of the quietest HPC servers I have used. It's a beast still.

As for who sells these machines... ME. :)

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i was wondering the same thing...are you only running a single F@H task per GPU right now? i can't see how so many passively cooled dual-slot GPUs in such close proximity are staying sufficiently cool unless the load on each GPU is quite low right now...

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
You'd be surprised at how much air those 3 fans can move. Their not your regular desktop 120mm's... these are meant for the datacenter where the 40mm screamers make anything seem quiet.

And I ran an SMP client with 8x GPU clients simultaneously and none of the temperatures were out of anything expected even in a well-cooled desktop computer. This system was designed exactly for this.

As for asking me to prove this... the system has been shipped now. :p Some lucky bastard at some research group somewhere is going to have all the fun now.