My Dream Cruncher...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Inspired by Larry's GPU build, I decided to start with EVGA's SR-2 platform. Surprisingly, it was much less than I expected. I'm not exactly sure but I think the 1366 hexcore Xeons have come down in price. It's not chump change for sure but I think it's doable.

And then there's the SR-X/SR-3 that's expected sometime this year. The SR-X/3 may have a similar price point to the SR-2 but I'm expecting the new Xeons to command a premium. In other words, way outside my price range.

Anyway, at this point it's just for fun but who knows. Keep in mind Newegg Canada doesn't carry the complete inventory compared to its American counterpart so my choices are limited to what is available.

15725g2.jpg

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
why the 1200W PSU? i saw no video cards on your wish list...future proofing yourself against the addition of GPUs down the road i presume?

btw, i have a "dream cruncher" wish list @ newegg too :biggrin:.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah the E-series of Westmere used to be much higher (I think $600+ each).

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16819117256

According to this, you are correct, they used to be more expensive, though not by much (considering the price for a Xeon processor). Either way, you can snag a good deal, once the SR-X/SR-3s are out.

Yeah, here's to hoping!

why the 1200W PSU? i saw no video cards on your wish list...future proofing yourself against the addition of GPUs down the road i presume?

btw, i have a "dream cruncher" wish list @ newegg too :biggrin:.

Haha! Yeah, 1200W is for the future. Maybe 2 high end or 3 mainstream GPUs. The AX1200 seems have to have favorable reviews when paired with the SR-2. Anyone know any other PSU alternatives?

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Other than Antec, Silverstone, SeaSonic or Thermaltake, I'd say the Corsairs would be your best option (especially for the stress you would unleash with that hardware). I still have my 750w Corsair for the last three years and I can't complain, granted I don't have SLI/Crossfire, but for high CPU usage and a ton of HDDs, it's a champ.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Not sure if you are interested, but EVGA currently has SR-2's B-stock. link

I was going to chime in with this :)

It's a good way to save enough to put a decent GPU in there out of the gate.

My dream cruncher is a G34 Opteron w/4x 16 module cpus. Supposedly good for 4 minute TPF on an 6901! Needs a funky sized case, but if I was dropping $2500 on cpus and a mobo I would fab up something custom from plywood probably. I mean, it would be a project in and of itself. :)

With any like PD will bring us 20 module Opterons at the same or better clockspeeds as current Interlagos... Then it will be on like donkey kong between Opteron core counts versus Xeon IPC & wicked core speeds.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
Not sure if you are interested, but EVGA currently has SR-2's B-stock. link

Thanks! About $60 to ship to Canada but still cheaper than paying full retail.

I was going to chime in with this :)

It's a good way to save enough to put a decent GPU in there out of the gate.

My dream cruncher is a G34 Opteron w/4x 16 module cpus. Supposedly good for 4 minute TPF on an 6901! Needs a funky sized case, but if I was dropping $2500 on cpus and a mobo I would fab up something custom from plywood probably. I mean, it would be a project in and of itself. :)

With any like PD will bring us 20 module Opterons at the same or better clockspeeds as current Interlagos... Then it will be on like donkey kong between Opteron core counts versus Xeon IPC & wicked core speeds.

I have an Opteron build on my Newegg wish list too! If I ever got around to buying the SR-2/3/X, I'd probably try an AMD build later too. Would be great for Correlizer and WCG.