My dog keeps jumping the fence

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ruptga, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

He's getting a running start and vaulting off the top bar of the fence in one certain spot. I'm thinking about putting something spiky on that one section, but am concerned the tard won't see it before putting his weight on it. I can't just get a taller fence, and he's a high energy dog so putting him on a runner isn't a long term solution at all. I could probably spike the fence, then carry him over there and put his paws on it so he knows what's there before he sprints into it... Anyone have any other ideas?

Update: I just got back from the store, spent $150 on a solar powered energizer, some conductive tape, insulators, and self-tapping screws. I have to leave the energizer out in the sun for three days before I can turn it on, though. I was going to get a D-cell operated energizer, but that and what I got were the same price.

#1 Ruptga, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. Iron Woode

Iron Woode Lifer

3. ThatsABigOne

ThatsABigOne Diamond Member

Why don't you get rid of the ugly fence and get a electric dog collar?

4. olds

olds Elite Member

Find out why he doesn't like you and is trying to escape. Do you ignore him? Leave him alone in the yard all day while you are at work?

5. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

Fence is already there, plus two other dogs live here, one is old and probably wouldn't take to the collar training very well. It's not something I haven't considered, though... Oh, derp. I could see about leaving the fence and installing an electric fence system, just for this one dog. Maybe bury it a foot inside the normal fence so he learns to respect the normal fence as well.

He's a bit over a year old and has always been hyper, he is almost always full of nervous energy. Everything is super exciting, everything is an adventure. He doesn't get enough exercise, but the yard is a good size and he has another young dog to play with, plus an old fart. But, he could get a long walk every day and would probably still dig and occasionally jump the fence, it's just his personality. He's fairly smart too, so once he figures out how to open a food bucket or climb a fence he will only do it faster the next time.

#5 Ruptga, Jan 20, 2014
  6. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

Shoot him a once or twice (depending on your aim)...he'll learn.

7. norseamd

norseamd Lifer

do not do anything that might hurt the dog. you might regret it.

8. thedarkwolf

thedarkwolf Diamond Member

Well what I did was install one of the invisible fence setups by running the wire through the chain link fence. Mine never escaped while the fence was active but were quick to notice whenever the battery in the collar died or their was a break in the wire.

The other option is http://www.coyoteroller.com/

9. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

That roller thing is pretty clever, pretty expensive too. How much should I expect to spend on an invisible fence?

10. thedarkwolf

thedarkwolf Diamond Member

Yeah I've seen people make their own rollers with PVC pipes.

http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm
    scroll down and you will see some.

http://ps.factoryoutletstore.com/ca...61&chid=4272&gclid=CNCAofCLjLwCFaHm7AodpHEAiQ

That is the brand I have. Most of the kits come with wire but their wire is insanely over priced. You can buy a spool a solid core wire for nothing at Home Depot which last time I looked also sells that brand of invisible fencing. The collars are around $50 a pop if you have to replace them and they come in several flavors including the stubborn dog 9v batter version. Had to use one of those on a previous dog.

My fence is dead and my current fence jumper only does it on rare occasions and doesn't go anywhere so I haven't been in a big hurry to fix it. Think the base unit is dead again, 2nd time in 12 years. Current dog only jumps the fence in one spot so I might give the home made rollers a try this summer.

#10 thedarkwolf, Jan 20, 2014
  11. El Guaraguao

El Guaraguao Diamond Member

Take your dog on long jogging sessions. Be the pack leader. Who him whos the boss and be assertive.

(imitates a dog wagging his tail while staring at the OP for a long period of time)

12. SlickSnake

SlickSnake Diamond Member

Get a smaller dog with shorter legs. Or just cut his back legs off and get him a skate board to roll around on like this one. Obviously, I'm kidding. But your post reminded me of seeing dogs before like this:

[​IMG]

I honestly don't know why anyone would consent to do this to some poor injured dog rather than have it humanely euthanized.

13. Xed

Xed Golden Member

Some (many?) people just can't let go. Same reason you have people that are vegetables still hooked up to machines keeping them alive with no chance of recovery.

14. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

If you want to go the cheapest route, they have heavy duty 3 or 4 foot plastic poles/rods for electric fencing; they run about $1 each at Tractor Supply. You can get 1/4 mile (it's sold by the 1/4 mile, half mile, and mile) of galvanized electric fence wire for under $10. You'll also need a grounding rod ($10ish) and an electric fence charger (I'm guessing at the size of the yard, a cheap one, maybe $80ish? Unless you mow about 10 acres of yard.) Put those posts a foot or two inside your existing fence, so the dog can't clear both fences in a single jump, and set the electric at a reasonable height where the dog is going to encounter it while the dog is on the ground. 2 zaps and the dog will never touch that strand of electric again. Gradually move the plastic posts closer to the existing fence (over the course of 2 or 3 weeks) and eventually, transfer the strand of electric fencing over to the existing fence. (They have plastic insulators/connectors for practically any type of existing fencing to add the strand of electric wire; cost about $6 for a 20-pack of most varieties.)

Then, sell the electric fence charger on craigslist for 80% of what you bought it for. The dogs will remember that zap & won't challenge the fence. Or, at least, my own experiment is ongoing. My charger has been turned off since I unplugged it during hunting season (so that I could cross the fence). The dogs and goats never get closer than about a foot away from it.

15. fjmeat

fjmeat Diamond Member

Had a friend that spiked the fence. Pretty much gutted the dog in his yard. In the end, problem was solved.

Don't spike the fence.

16. SlickSnake

SlickSnake Diamond Member

So was the dogs name Spike, too?

17. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

o_O Uhm, yeah. I had been thinking more along the lines of something rough and pokey rather than disembowlingly spiked.

Anyway, I just got back from the store, spent $150 on a solar powered energizer, some conductive tape, insulators, and self-tapping screws. I have to leave the energizer out in the sun for three days before I can turn it on, though. I was going to get a D-cell operated energizer, but that and what I got were the same price.

18. SandEagle

SandEagle Lifer

control your pest before it hurts someone.

19. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel Lifer

I would just make the fence taller. I would not put anything that the dog can hurt himself on though.

Shovel the snow around the fence as well to create a "moat".

20. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

That dog looks happy to me!

21. TridenT

TridenT Lifer

Roller bar at the top of the fence sounds like the best option.

22. smackababy

smackababy Lifer

A guy I knew had an Akita that he witnessed outsmarting his electric fence. It would circle the yard until it got just close enough for the collar to start using power, and continue doing that until the battery died. Then, it would hop over the fence and be on it's marry way.

As for the OP, just put some kind of "extender" on the part he jumps. Simply angle it a bit inwards, and it should keep my in.

23. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

[​IMG]

24. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

put a catapult on the other side of the fence that will launch him back into the yard.

Seriously, you will need to train him either way and actually spend time with your dog.

I'd recommend an invisible fence. They are not that expensive. Only the dog that has the issues needs the collar.

#24 alkemyst, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  25. Nintendesert

Nintendesert Diamond Member

Just use an electric fence. Most humane and effective way for dealing with this. Dog gets out and bites someone and the authorities might euthanize it. Depending on your local laws of course.