My dog is sick - Need Help

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
First off.....the dog is at the vet. Im not stupid.

Me and my fiance have a 6 month old full blood Welsh - Corgie. The coolest dog in the world. We just moved into a new home over the weekend. Sunday night, I was playing with him late at night and got him running around. If he does this soon after he eats, he throws up. So, he did, and we thought it was normal.

Monday, she gets home at lunch to eat and what not and goes up and he had pooped and thrown up (2 things he doesnt ever do in his crate). She cleaned it all up and he seemed fine as a whistle.

I get home later that day to a horrid smell in the house. I went up stairs and the poor thing had that look of "get me out of this cage now please". His whole cage/crate had it all, poop (not solid), puke, piss, u name it. Then I noticed it was all over him. I took him out, bathed him and again, he acted fine......then I cleaned the create (I threw-up myself).

Later that night, he would not eat nor drink, which is strange because this dog tears into his food. We finally got him to drink a few hours later and guess what, he threw it all up.

Today we got up and we dont stairs and he drank some water - but then thew up again after we got upstairs. I was getting ready - ironing clothes, and I noticed he was eating and drinking. He did not throw up.

We decided to still take him to the vet. This vet is a friend of ours vet. She works there. We left him and all morning they said he was fine. The vet didnt look at him til this afternoon.

I got a call from the Mrs. and she said the vet wants to talk to him. He said he thinks this is unusual for a dog to act so normal yet not eat or drink. Not sure what they are going to say......but she is going by there in about 30 mins.

What the hell is going on? Any ideas?

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
I was about to post: "Take the dog to the fucking vet!"

You really saved yourself by posting that your dog is already at the vet at the very top of the post. :D

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Safeway

You really saved yourself by posting that your dog is already at the vet at the very top of the post. :D

Exactly.....like i said...IM NOT STUPID.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
Something somewhat similar happened to my dog, apparently someone thought it would be a great idea for him to have some table scraps and fed him the fat parts off of some of the steaks.

Anyway, apparently it can REALLY throw a small to medium sized dog's systems out of wack. He had to stay at the vet for 3 days and get fluids pumped into him cause he couldn't keep anything down.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Could possibly be adrenal failure. I've seen those same symptoms in people - along with severe dehydration.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
intestinal blockage?

Good thing he's at the vet.

I'm a PW Corgi owner as well, hope eveything turns out OK.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: NuroMancer
Anyway, apparently it can REALLY throw a small to medium sized dog's systems out of wack. He had to stay at the vet for 3 days and get fluids pumped into him cause he couldn't keep anything down.

Really? Strange because that's all dogs eat in the wild - raw meat. I used to give my golden retreiver steak fat all the time, and chicken scraps, bones, offal, etc. It would just disappear, he didn't even chew it.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Atheus

Really? Strange because that's all dogs eat in the wild - raw meat. I used to give my golden retreiver steak fat all the time, and chicken scraps, bones, offal, etc. It would just disappear, he didn't even chew it.

We do not give him scraps of any kind. Just his food alone is all he eats.

This is going to cost a shit ton isnt it? Lol. I just want him to be OK. I love this dog.

slatr

May 28, 2001
You say this is a new house.

Was the dog kenneled before you moved?

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Haui

We do not give him scraps of any kind. Just his food alone is all he eats.

This is going to cost a shit ton isnt it? Lol. I just want him to be OK. I love this dog.

Was the steak raw or cooked? I'm sure he'll be fine if his spirits were still up after all that, and it shouldn't cost to much if they don't have to do anything. If he did eat and drink and kept it down, that's a really good sign.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Could be bloat, where the intestines twist and create a blockage. One of the worse things a dog can get. Hope he doesn't have it.

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
We had a similar experience with our border collie mix, out of the blue she started throwing up, got really smelly diarrhea, etc. Turns out it was the dog food we were using (Costco brand). Though our other dog is just fine with it, our border collie developed a major sensitivity to it. The vet prescribed a special low residue dog food for her and she's been fine since. Only thing about her diet is that the food is pretty expensive something like $60 for a 30lb bag.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
That doesnt make any sense based upon what I told you.

He shit everything out and is puking within 2 mins of eating or drinking.

To djheater.........look at the posts again. I never said anything about meat or feeding my dog meat...some other dude did.

I then proceeded to say that we never feed scraps to our dog.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: DrVos
We had a similar experience with our border collie mix, out of the blue she started throwing up, got really smelly diarrhea, etc. Turns out it was the dog food we were using (Costco brand). Though our other dog is just fine with it, our border collie developed a major sensitivity to it. The vet prescribed a special low residue dog food for her and she's been fine since. Only thing about her diet is that the food is pretty expensive something like 460 for a 30lb bag.

$460 for 30lbs of food?!?!?

Thats more than it cost's me to eat!

What the hell, dogs used to eat anything.....now they have to have $500 food to survive?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I hear Michael Vick knows how to take care of dogs, maybe you could pay him a visit? ;)

*RUNS*

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DrVos
We had a similar experience with our border collie mix, out of the blue she started throwing up, got really smelly diarrhea, etc. Turns out it was the dog food we were using (Costco brand). Though our other dog is just fine with it, our border collie developed a major sensitivity to it. The vet prescribed a special low residue dog food for her and she's been fine since. Only thing about her diet is that the food is pretty expensive something like 460 for a 30lb bag.

$460 for 30lbs of food?!?!?

Thats more than it cost's me to eat!

What the hell, dogs used to eat anything.....now they have to have $500 food to survive?

Haha you caught me before I edited out my typo! It was supposed to be $60 instead of 460 :)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
We can guess here 'til the cows come home, but the Vet is going to give you the true diagnosis. Let us know what the Vet says, and I hope your dog is going to get better soon.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: slatr
Was the dog kenneled or not before you moved into the new house?

Yes he was, but in a smaller kennel than he has now.

However, we bought him an oversized cage (made for a lab) when we moved in. Some more room for him.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: moshquerade
We can guess here 'til the cows come home, but the Vet is going to give you the true diagnosis. Let us know what the Vet says, and I hope your dog is going to get better soon.

I hope so too.

slatr

May 28, 2001
Ok, strike that idea.

One of dogs would "retaliate" when he did not want to be kenneled.

You wouldn't think he would be that nervous after a few days at the new house either.

Hope he gets to feeling better soon.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway

Exactly.....like i said...IM NOT STUPID.

How many times does the dog need to puke and shit on himself before you take him to the vet?

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006

Yeah, me thinks somebody is feeding him bull shit. At most, such digestive issues would last only a few hours, less if the dog throws it back up.. That dog got a bacterial or parisitic infection.