My director's leaving

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Our director is going to a new group and I never have anything to put into good-bye cards. Seems pretty pointless to me since it didn't seem like anyone was really close to him. We also got a mass e-mail asking to give money($5) for cake/gift, call me a cheapskate but if I'm only getting a prorated raise of 1.25% and that'll be all I get 'til a review in May, I'm gonna pass on anything monetary for higher ups. Anyone give money or put anything meaningful into cards for people who you consider a little mehh? Professional courtesy is something I probably need to learn. MEH

This is all I wrote:

Good luck, hope everything goes well in your new position.
~K

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
$5 per person for cake? i hope you only have like 2 people in the dept.

edit: oops, missed the gift part, but still, what are you buying him/her? a laptop?

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Yeah thats the thing, I have no idea what the gift was. Kinda late notice, this notice was sent like 5pm yesterday and money was asked for by 12pm. Not that $5 is hard to come by but my gripe is more that I'm underpaid and so it's pretty much against every fiber in my being to give my underpaid money to a higher up. It is optional, and theres like mebbe ~15-20 people who got the email.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
damn, a $75-100 gift just because they are moving to a new dept.?
a cake would be fine, no need for a gift.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Just do the same thing you did in the high school yearbook for people who didn't know you but wanted you to sign anyway:

"H.A.G.S."

-HammerCurl

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Originally posted by: daveymark
Just do the same thing you did in the high school yearbook for people who didn't know you but wanted you to sign anyway:

"H.A.G.S."

-HammerCurl

Haha, I like this idea. Last card I signed like this:

Peace out, girlscout.
~K

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

"H.A.G.S."

-HammerCurl

Hide And Go Seek or High Altitude Gas Syndrome

kstu

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

"H.A.G.S."

-HammerCurl

it's Have Ample Gay Sex. what did you not go to middle school?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: kstu
Originally posted by: pontifex

"H.A.G.S."

-HammerCurl

it's Have Ample Gay Sex. what did you not go to middle school?

well, technically, no, i didn't go to middle school. we went straight from elementary to high school.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
heck no! I dont really think it's right to ask for money for subordinates when a manager gets moved (he probably got a raise too). Only time I give money is for executive assistants day and if a co-worker loses a family member.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
fugit, you said it's optional... and you don't personally know him too well...

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
in my previous job, 5 people had babies within the span of a month, and people were "forced" to contribute 20 bucks a piece to get customized gifts. whiskey tango fucking foxtrot. it was bullshit.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I hate this going away gift giving, party crap. Why do we celebrate when someone leaves? My opinion is we should throw parties for people that decide to come work for a company, not those who want to leave. It's ass-backward.

HammerCurl

Apr 3, 2007
Originally posted by: 3cho
in my previous job, 5 people had babies within the span of a month, and people were "forced" to contribute 20 bucks a piece to get customized gifts. whiskey tango fucking foxtrot. it was bullshit.

By forced, what was the situation? Like boss is like, I think its necessary we all pitch in bla bla for whatever for this preggo? That's pretty WTF.

Nerva

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Originally posted by: HammerCurl
Originally posted by: 3cho

By forced, what was the situation? Like boss is like, I think its necessary we all pitch in bla bla for whatever for this preggo? That's pretty WTF.

not even the boss, the freaking office manager.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I only chip in if i like the person. Otherwise, screw it. I sign the card "Good luck" and sign my name.