Question My desktop PC is stuck on american megatrends

Dustinr71

Aug 5, 2020
I have a asus a88xm plus motherboard with amd A10-7890K cpu cosiear water cooled cpu cooler 16 g ram 2 hard drives evga 1060 turbo graphics card evga 500 + 80 psu my pc was running fine then all the sudden when I turn it on it goes to the American megatrends screen and it wont go to bios I have tried to unplug every thing I replaced the battery I put the bios on a flash drive and nothing I keep getting the American megatrends screen I dont know what else to do please help thank you

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's two possibilities here:

1) There's some device, peripheral, or piece of hardware, that is causing POST to hang on boot at the AMI BIOS screen, or

2) What you are seeing, is really a fail-safe boot screen, because the BIOS has been corrupted.

If it's 1, try removing everything non-essential, try different sticks of RAM, different video cards, different PSUs.

If it's 2, then look up in the manual or on the mfg's web site, EXACTLY how to perform an "emergency flash recovery". You may not just have to put the BIOS on a flash drive, you may have to make sure it's formatted a specific way, and the file is named something specific, like BIOS.BIN or AMIBIOS.BIN, or maybe the model of the mobo, with a specific extension. You would have to look that up.

There's actually possibility number 3:

3) The mobo is hosed, and should be replaced entirely, and then safely disposed of.

If you're getting some semblance of POST, though, that seems less likely than the other two possibilities.

Dustinr71

Aug 5, 2020
Thank you!!! for your responce. I have tried every thing. I unplugged everything except the cpu and one 8g stick powered by my psu and still got the same thing. I did remove and replace my cpu. would that cause this problem if a pin got bent or broke. I dont know? I ordered a new cpu but this happened before I took out the cpu and i was looking at my build on part picker and my estimate wattage was 580 and my psu is a 500+80 not sure what the +80 means. so I have to cheak lt out. thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Thank you!!! for your responce. I have tried every thing. I unplugged everything except the cpu and one 8g stick powered by my psu and still got the same thing. I did remove and replace my cpu. would that cause this problem if a pin got bent or broke. I dont know? I ordered a new cpu but this happened before I took out the cpu and i was looking at my build on part picker and my estimate wattage was 580 and my psu is a 500+80 not sure what the +80 means. so I have to cheak lt out. thanks for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is really the wrong forum for this post, a mod should move it to the motherboards area.

But anyway, you say you replaced the CPU, is it the exact same model? If not, do you know if your motherboard supports that CPU with the BIOS that is currently on it? ASUS's website says you need BIOS 2301 for that CPU to work. If you still have the old one, it would be worth installing it to see if the system returns to life. And then update the BIOS before installing the 7890K.

For your PSU, the 500+80 most likely references that its a 500W PSU, with an 80% efficiency rating. And while your system may have issues when under load, it will use very little power at boot up.