My dad had a few shoplifters yesterday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: DaShen
Bunch of punks. My dad is pretty old now, but still in good physical shape, but there were four of them so he wasn't able to catch all of them.

They took a lot of expensive stuff, but since he caught two of them (a police car happened to be passing by), their parents paid for what they were caught with.
Still don't know what the ring leader and the other kid took though. :|

If I ever catch them around my dad's store, they are going to have to expect a serious beatdown. Shoplifting from a 63 year old man isn't too cool.

A beatdown? that's clever.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
No security cameras? And why would your dad let them off by just paying? He should have pressed charges, nothing like thousands of dollars in legal bills and 120 hours community service to make someone think twice before shop lifting.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: djheater
Originally posted by: RKS
FWIW I would not report it as a 'shoplifting'. That implies they simply took the item without any treat of force. If you report it as a 'robbery' which implies force, those delinquents would be facing major charges and give your father more leeway in his actions.

If they are 'shoplifting' the only thing your father can legally do is temporarily delay them and inspect their bags/coats/etc. If it is a robbery then your father can use what ever force he deems reasonable to defend HIMSELF.

While it's not legal and I wouldn't suggest it generally, a couple of times when I was running a comic store and someone would throw an expensive book in their backpack $40-60 I'd walk to the front of the store and quietly lock the door. That's always fun.

actually you can stop someone when you see them shoplifting and trying to leave. it is called the 'shopkeepers exception' that allows for resonable detention until the cops arrive. If you don't see them shoplift and you guess wrong you may be liable for false imprisonment however.

edit: It may actually be better to leave the door unlocked in order to detain them legally after they attempt to leave.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
hehehe.

i was watching the show cheaters on t.v. and this over-zealous security guard tasered this guy and it was hillarious... but that's besides the point.

your dad is a really nice guy to not press charges.

O.T. - are you from Texas? or somewhere near Texas by any chance?

Houston, :)

Originally from the East coast.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: GrammatonJP
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

Then he should invest in a taser gun :D

With all the taser incidents... lets not make a thread about, my dad taser someone robbing the store and they died and now we're being sue for xxx milions...

There's a difference between a taser gun and a bolt of lightning.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: DaiShan
No security cameras? And why would your dad let them off by just paying? He should have pressed charges, nothing like thousands of dollars in legal bills and 120 hours community service to make someone think twice before shop lifting.

My dad has security cameras. He jsut decided not to pursue it because the kid's parents were apoligetic.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
Too bad you couldn't beat the ringleader's location outta them.

Jack Bauer would, that's for sure.

TELL ME WHERE HE IS!! WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

LMAO, OT never gets old....

GrammatonJP

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

With all the taser incidents... lets not make a thread about, my dad taser someone robbing the store and they died and now we're being sue for xxx milions...

There's a difference between a taser gun and a bolt of lightning.[/quote]

Yes, I have one right here and I fear using it because I dont want to end up getting sue, there are bunch of pending lawsuits..

Taser
Taser
Taser

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: zixxer
Most old(er) gentlemen I know
1) can kick some major ass. One guy I do computer work for looks like a harmless ~65 year old man. He was in the USMC and would completely kick my arse (I'm 5'11, ~190, not fat, exp. at fighting)
2) CCW. Especially the store owners.

yeap.

my dad is 63(i think) and a ex army ranger (airborn). He was also lightweight boxing champion in the army.

he is still in pretty good shape. he works out a few times a week and works outside a lot (now that he is retired).