My dad had a few shoplifters yesterday

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Bunch of punks. My dad is pretty old now, but still in good physical shape, but there were four of them so he wasn't able to catch all of them.

They took a lot of expensive stuff, but since he caught two of them (a police car happened to be passing by), their parents paid for what they were caught with.
Still don't know what the ring leader and the other kid took though. :|

If I ever catch them around my dad's store, they are going to have to expect a serious beatdown. Shoplifting from a 63 year old man isn't too cool.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Damn punks. I hate people who think they can do stuff just because no one will catch them.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
My dad owns a health/nutrition store, and the items they took were all $$$ items. The ringleader was probably in his 20s, but the other three were in middle school and high school.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Too bad you couldn't beat the ringleader's location outta them.

Jack Bauer would, that's for sure.

TELL ME WHERE HE IS!! WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Most old(er) gentlemen I know
1) can kick some major ass. One guy I do computer work for looks like a harmless ~65 year old man. He was in the USMC and would completely kick my arse (I'm 5'11, ~190, not fat, exp. at fighting)
2) CCW. Especially the store owners.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: zixxer
Most old(er) gentlemen I know
1) can kick some major ass. One guy I do computer work for looks like a harmless ~65 year old man. He was in the USMC and would completely kick my arse (I'm 5'11, ~190, not fat, exp. at fighting)
2) CCW. Especially the store owners.

The kids tried to jump my dad, but he scared them off. He is pretty strong and experienced physically. But they are younger and quicker, so if they run he can't catch them. Luckily a cop was nearby.

Originally posted by: krunchykrome
What type of store was it? What did he sell?

Nutrition products. Some items are extremely expensive. He is a health nut, so when he got laid off as a researcher, he just gravitated to this.

Originally posted by: duragezic
Too bad you couldn't beat the ringleader's location outta them.

Jack Bauer would, that's for sure.

TELL ME WHERE HE IS!! WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

Trust me, if I was there, that ringleader would have probably been unconscious.

GrammatonJP

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006
Originally posted by: DaShen
My dad owns a health/nutrition store, and the items they took were all $$$ items. The ringleader was probably in his 20s, but the other three were in middle school and high school.

like protein bars and vitamins ? those are pricy.. wonder if what they planned to do with health foods.. :) did the cops make the 2 kids give up names of the ring leader ?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: pclstyle
you know the identities of the other 2?

Nope :(
Since it is a petty crime the cops just called the kids we caught and the parents paid for the items, or promised to pay for them. We recovered a few items, but the rest, the kids chunked into a ditch/pond. I would have wanted the names of the other two people, but I there is nothing really a cop can do to a minor except book them or call their parents.

Hopefully the other parents will actually pay, the cops wrote their information down, and the parents said they would pay, but I am doubting they actually will.

Originally posted by: GrammatonJP

like protein bars and vitamins ? those are pricy.. wonder if what they planned to do with health foods.. :) did the cops make the 2 kids give up names of the ring leader ?

That stuff as well as other things. It is a pretty well known store, but I won't name any names.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Instead of having the parents just buy the stolen items, why isn't your dad pressing charges?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Instead of having the parents just buy the stolen items, why isn't your dad pressing charges?

The parents were apologetic, and my dad is a really nice guy when it comes down to it. If it was an adult, he probably would have, but since it was just kids, minus the ringleader, who he didn't catch, he decided not to make things worse for the parents.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

The parents were apologetic, and my dad is a really nice guy when it comes down to it. If it was an adult, he probably would have, but since it was just kids, minus the ringleader, who he didn't catch, he decided not to make things worse for the parents.

Sorry to hear that. Does your dad hire extra help around the store?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
wait.... if your dad filed a police report you have the names/addresses of the parents - now I don't think you should show up at their door - but your dad does have their address, and imo should take their parents to small claims court for the full amount under the argument that it's not his call to decide who stole what - that the two who were caught should then take their friends to court to divide up the amount

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000

He doesn't make enough to do that.

wait.... if your dad filed a police report you have the names/addresses of the parents - now I don't think you should show up at their door - but your dad does have their address, and imo should take their parents to small claims court for the full amount under the argument that it's not his call to decide who stole what - that the two who were caught should then take their friends to court to divide up the amount

Read my last post. My dad isn't going to do that.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

Then he should invest in a taser gun :D

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001

hehehe.

i was watching the show cheaters on t.v. and this over-zealous security guard tasered this guy and it was hillarious... but that's besides the point.

your dad is a really nice guy to not press charges.

O.T. - are you from Texas? or somewhere near Texas by any chance?

GrammatonJP

Golden Member
Feb 16, 2006

With all the taser incidents... lets not make a thread about, my dad taser someone robbing the store and they died and now we're being sue for xxx milions...

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
FWIW I would not report it as a 'shoplifting'. That implies they simply took the item without any treat of force. If you report it as a 'robbery' which implies force, those delinquents would be facing major charges and give your father more leeway in his actions.

If they are 'shoplifting' the only thing your father can legally do is temporarily delay them and inspect their bags/coats/etc. If it is a robbery then your father can use what ever force he deems reasonable to defend HIMSELF.

Kevin1211

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Bunch of punks. My dad is pretty old now, but still in good physical shape, but there were four of them so he wasn't able to catch all of them.

They took a lot of expensive stuff, but since he caught two of them (a police car happened to be passing by), their parents paid for what they were caught with.
Still don't know what the ring leader and the other kid took though. :|

If I ever catch them around my dad's store, they are going to have to expect a serious beatdown. Shoplifting from a 63 year old man isn't too cool.

wow.. thats whats wrong with today's society... i bet these kids will shoplift again and their little parents will come around and "save" them... they should at least get community service

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Shimmishim
O.T. - are you from Texas? or somewhere near Texas by any chance?

From the looks of his profile, Houston.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RKS
FWIW I would not report it as a 'shoplifting'. That implies they simply took the item without any treat of force. If you report it as a 'robbery' which implies force, those delinquents would be facing major charges and give your father more leeway in his actions.

If they are 'shoplifting' the only thing your father can legally do is temporarily delay them and inspect their bags/coats/etc. If it is a robbery then your father can use what ever force he deems reasonable to defend HIMSELF.

While it's not legal and I wouldn't suggest it generally, a couple of times when I was running a comic store and someone would throw an expensive book in their backpack $40-60 I'd walk to the front of the store and quietly lock the door. That's always fun.

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: GrammatonJP

With all the taser incidents... lets not make a thread about, my dad taser someone robbing the store and they died and now we're being sue for xxx milions...

how is it different than just shooting and killing them?

i would think if you are getting robbed, you have sufficient reason to protect yourself